Confessional

May 9th, 2016 at 4:09:45 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Nareed

The first two definitions are a different matter.

I see we're on the same page =)

Quote: Nareed
Before figuring out how, a more important questions is "Should you?"

Oh, it's a must. There is no other option.

Quote: petroglyph

Well then, we have different interpretations of friend. It is the most over used word in the dicktionary, right after that comes "love". Make it easy on yourself, and redefine those words.

Oh, I do. I suppose I was using the colloquial use of "friend". It is one of those words that has a million meanings. I just didn't feel like typing "A guy I was really close to until I found out about him and now I still enjoy his company but I don't let him into important areas of my life" =p

Anyways, those were just examples, the things in my past I've thought about that have shown me what I have done in place of this forgiveness that I'm ignorant of. They're not my issue. I'm over those =p

Quote: petro
How and why did this person get so much power over you?

Because I'm that person.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 9th, 2016 at 4:27:43 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote:
Face I'm over those =p
Obviously

Quote:
Because I'm that person.
That is a tough one
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 9th, 2016 at 7:07:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face

The only people we 'must' forgive are
minor children, they don't know any
better. We must forgive family to an
extent, because we have to deal with
them. If they steal from us, forgive
them and never put yourself in that
position again. This is blood family
I'm talking about, not wives.

Everybody else? Screw em. I have a
fine line, if you cross it you're gone.
No forgiveness, I don't do that. It's
a learning experience, I just learned
I can't trust you. Adios.

I'm guessing it's family you're talking
about. Yes you have to forgive them
if you want to keep dealing with them.
Trust but be wary.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 9th, 2016 at 8:16:47 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I confess I had lustful thoughts of my 8th grade Spanish teacher.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 9th, 2016 at 9:10:57 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
One of the biggest mistakes we often make is confusing the word forgive with a completely different word - forget. Forgiving is a healthy thing, forgetting is a sign something is wrong. To forgive someone never means to pretend the slight, the wrong, or the evil ever happened. In some cases forgiveness means that we never have anything more to do with that person. This often happens with acquaintances or fishing partners. This also can happen when the wrong done to us is especially grave. I'll never forget talking to the woman who was struggling to forgive her rapist. She said, "I'm just not ready to be friends with this person again, I must not have really forgiven them." My response was to tell her that whether you ever forgive the person or not you should never, ever be friends with this person again! You should never see them or discus them or think about them. Your forgiveness is to set you free from allowing this person and evil they did to you to continue to haunt and have power over you.

In other cases usually involving close long term friends that you highly value and family members (most especially including wives) your forgiveness allows the process of rebuilding trust to begin again. It does not mean that forgiveness restores trust to where it was before the offense. It simply means that through actions the person has the opportunity to earn back your trust and that you are rooting for them to do this.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 9th, 2016 at 9:50:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
One of the biggest mistakes we often make is confusing the word forgive with a completely different word - forget.

In your entire post you never gave credit to,
or blamed god. I knew you could do it.

I have to disagree. You cannot forgive unless
you also forget. For instance, my brother
got extremely mad at me a couple years
ago and said some very hurtful things.
I forgave him and forgot about it, because
I know he felt badly even though he
never said anything.

A long time ago I found my the GF was
cheating on me, I caught her in the act.
I was terribly hurt and I forgave her
eventually. But not really because I never
forgot the hurt. What happens is, time
passes and you think you've forgiven. But
you never do because you can never forget.

I spoke to her 2 years ago and my bitterness
surprised me. I hadn't forgiven at all.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 10th, 2016 at 4:12:22 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: FrGamble
One of the biggest mistakes we often make is confusing the word forgive with a completely different word - forget.

I absolutely agree .

Quote:
Your forgiveness is to set you free from allowing this person and evil they did to you to continue to haunt and have power over you.

exactly

Face, if you don't get it, think this is just gobbledygook, I understand, don't sweat it. But I hope eventually, you do get it. People who say you must forgive, and who have it right, are wanting peace for you. Not for the transgressor.

If you have moved on from, say, the guy who no-showed, but feel like you need to take one more step, it certainly is NOT to try to hook up with him for another fishing expedition. You can empathize and say, yeah, maybe he is screwing up his life, got drunk and overslept, isn't man enough to apologize profusely. Worse, you maybe see he just figures people will accept it and goes on screwing things up. If you had bonded with him as a friend, you can hope and pray he gets straightened out, and rejoice if he does. But you don't have to forget, you don't have to feel guilty about taking steps.

We can forgive a criminal who has changed and warrants it. But he serves his sentence out. After that, we shall be wary too. But maybe we no longer have to hate him; it's what it does to us.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 10th, 2016 at 6:21:51 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

The second question is "Are you sure?"

If you are, and if you must, then I'd advice you to talk with someone you can discuss the specifics of the case with. If there is a way, it goes through that route.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 10th, 2016 at 9:47:34 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
That does not bode well.

Someone in my life has been urging me to forgive and I've not been able. Like, not even close. Not even a step in the direction of. Barely a glance. It's got me thinking and has made me reflect, and while I'm in the early stages of reflection, I'm having difficulty finding a time when I've ever done so.

"Absolving of debt" I've done, sure. Too much, in fact. I'm a sucker like that. But it feels like #1 and #2 are the most important when it comes to peace and self love, and all I'm seeing in myself is a gaping void.

I do get over stuff. I usually just use my head and all the psychology I've soaked up over the years. I can identify what went wrong, how I took it, WHY I took it that way, a number of different ways I COULD take it,... if somewhere in there I can find logic, I can usually get over it. I work very hard to "get over things". It usually works pretty good for me.

But it's not forgiveness. Going through my history I find it in example after example. Yes, I understand why a friend of mine did something, I understand WHY it made me so mad. I can choose to take it another way instead, realize the scope of the situation, and viola, I'm on my way to getting over it. But to this day I do not trust this guy, and he's a pretty good friend. I've compartmentalized him, that is, I allow him here, here, and here in my life. But this, that, and the other are completely off limits to him. He f#$%ed up. He no longer is allowed access to all of me. I can remember another friend. At the time, he was the only non-family member I had access to. He was a fishing partner, a burning partner, a riding partner. I put 10k miles on the road with this guy at my side. He was late fishing once. It pissed me off, but I got over. He stood me up the next week. I haven't talked to him since. Boom. You're done. I'm obviously over it. But I've also obviously not forgiven.

I do feel like many (most?) people who say they forgive are really just doing this. They got over it, but have they really forgiven? If you are letting your sister back in your house and you're getting along, but you make sure to put up / hide your wallet and loose cash whenever she's there, is that really forgiveness? It doesn't strike me as so, and that's not the type I'm trying to learn.

I'm told that no matter how deep the slight, there's this forgiveness that allows you to let go. That you can decide (choose? work towards?) to release that pain. That trust, love, happiness, all that can come back. I... just don't even know where to start. HOW to start.

I'd usually just cast the person free and work on getting over it. It's worked so far. But when the person cannot be cast, then what? That's where I'm at,... and I almost just said I'm "a little lost" lol. Truth is, I don't have the faintest clue where to begin. And to say I've been "drinking poison expecting my enemy to die" is another laughable understatement. Sadly, it's about all I intake anymore.

I dunno. I'll leave this here. Might be pointless, but it just might help.

What I mean is that have you been truly forgiven by another for one (or more) of your own transgressions? If you have not had that experience of grace, I don't think we, as the selfish people we are, can understand how to forgive. It is not in our nature.
May 10th, 2016 at 10:49:53 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Ayecarumba
What I mean is that have you been truly forgiven by another for one (or more) of your own transgressions? If you have not had that experience of grace, I don't think we, as the selfish people we are, can understand how to forgive. It is not in our nature.

Nobody ever really forgives, not in my experience.
They give lip service to it, they work to get along
with the person, but it's always there under the
surface. I forgave my brother because I wasn't
injured to begin with. He caused no actual harm.

We're hardwired not to forgive, it's part of our
survival programming. Making the same mistake
twice can be fatal in some environments. If I'm
told I'm forgiven by somebody, I wait and see. I
always find out it wasn't true.