Confessional

May 11th, 2016 at 3:44:03 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: FrGamble
The confessional is a place where sinners can come knowing that they will encounter only God's mercy and love. It is this love that we pray changes their lives, leads to true repentance and change. Often this includes owing up to the sin they committed. However, this won't happen unless first the sinner has a safe place to confess and repent for their sins. Once the guilt and shame of sin is removed then someone will have the courage and responsibility to strive to make things right as best they can.

Thanks. May I ask what you would advise if a 10-year-old kid confessed he toilet papered another kid's house a week ago?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 11th, 2016 at 4:05:23 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Wizard
Thanks. May I ask what you would advise if a 10-year-old kid confessed he toilet papered another kid's house a week ago?

In this case I would encourage him strongly to admit what he did and learn his lesson by taking the punishment and cleaning the yard. However, I could not make that the penance. Perhaps fasting for a day from video games and a few Our Fathers would be the penance.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 11th, 2016 at 4:40:04 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
In this case I would encourage him strongly to admit what he did and learn his lesson by taking the punishment and cleaning the yard. However, I could not make that the penance. Perhaps fasting for a day from video games and a few Our Fathers would be the penance.

Thanks. So you can suggest that he reveal the sin, but you wouldn't order it. May I ask why you didn't like the idea of revealing the sin in the case of the stolen candy bar?
May 11th, 2016 at 10:08:19 PM permalink
FrGamble
Thanks. So you can suggest that he reveal the sin, but you wouldn't order it. May I ask why you didn't like the idea of revealing the sin in the case of the stolen candy bar?

An adult stealing a candy bar? Revealing it would tend to trivialize the sin. Stealing is serious and taking it serious in this case I think should involve more than just admitting to stealing a little candy bar. It is the behavior and mindset that God is desiring to change. Oh by the way I need to say that it is the penitent's canonical right to refuse a penance that is given if it is deemed to be too harsh or difficult.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 11th, 2016 at 11:43:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
An adult stealing a candy bar? Revealing it would tend to trivialize the sin. .

Stealing may be wrong, but it's hardly a 'sin',
an offense against a god. You can't even show
evidence of a gods existence, let alone that
he's offended by anything we do.

The whole thought of it is offensive to me. That
we're so self important, so narcissistic, that
we have to invent a god so we can be the apple
of his eye. It's appalling. It's a doting mother
that follows us around all of our adult lives,
correcting our mistakes and punishing us
when we misbehave. Narcissism personified.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 12th, 2016 at 7:58:52 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob

of his eye. It's appalling. It's a doting mother
that follows us around all of our adult lives,
correcting our mistakes and punishing us
when we misbehave. Narcissism personified.

I am puzzled by a lot of what you say. When you continue to claim there is no evidence for God and then ignore all the examples of evidence given such as personal testimony, history, science, logic, and reason. However I am most confused by your continued insistence that religion is somehow narcissistic?!?

I believe is a higher power, a God who created the whole universe and created me. He is supreme and I am His creation. I owe everything, including life itself to Him. God loves us unconditionally but I am under no pretense that I deserve that free gift of His grace and mercy.

What seems narcissistic to me is making ourselves into God. To imagine that there is nothing higher power than my own will and desires. That I could make up whatever meaning or purpose to life I choose or choose that there is no meaning or purpose. That I can be selfish and that nothing I do wrong has any real consequences. Talk about appalling and offensive. Give me a break and check your ego son!
May 12th, 2016 at 8:01:14 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
of his eye.

Doesn't a belief in reincarnation imply there is some kind of higher power behind it? Couldn't one argue it is narcissistic to believe that we're so self-important that our soul can't die but travels to another body after physical death?
May 12th, 2016 at 8:16:04 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Doesn't a belief in reincarnation imply there is some kind of higher power behind it?

I would have never drawn that conclusion.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 12th, 2016 at 10:59:04 AM permalink
Evenbob
Doesn't a belief in reincarnation imply there is some kind of higher power behind it?

You'll have to explain that to me, I don't
see it.

No narcissism in reincarnation, it
happens no matter what you believe, if
you like it or don't, know about it or not.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 12th, 2016 at 11:06:59 AM permalink
Evenbob
However I am most confused by your continued insistence that religion is somehow narcissistic?!?

Ever spend much time around Christians?
They really think god is sitting in heaven
worrying about them 24/7. They thank him
and bless him constantly, pray to him and
ask him to do things for them all day long.
They believe that to god, they are the most
important thing in the universe.

That doesn't sound just a tad bit narcissistic to
you? They even invented sin, the concept that
you're so important in gods eyes that your thoughts
and actions can actually offend him. You don't
think that about anybody else, you don't think
you're powerful enough to offend your barber
or the traffic cop. But to what you believe is the
creator of the universe, you think you can offend
him all day long. You have that much power.