Three Casanovas in 2005

June 1st, 2014 at 11:44:40 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

I caught the BBC's Casanova miniseries made in 2005 on Netflix. Peter O' Toole plays Casanova at the end of his life, and David Tennant plays him as an adult. The film is an imaginative fantasy based loosely on his books. There are obvious anachronisms, but the whole thing is a lot of fun (and deeply emotional). It was the performance that got David Tennant the job of Doctor Who.

In Casanova's books he talks of over 120 women (most of which he bedded before his 40's when he got smallpox). He wrote about his one true love, and her story is expanded for the TV series.

The third Casanova that year was Heath Ledger. I have not seen his movie all the way through but it got terrible reviews.
June 2nd, 2014 at 12:51:50 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
In Casanova's books he talks of over 120 women he bedded .

That's so funny. Gene Simmons claims around
4000, and I'm sure he's telling the truth. It just
shows women really were hard to get in the
old days. Ali and Wilt claimed far more than
4000. Even Elvis had a few thousand notches
on the bedpost..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 2nd, 2014 at 9:19:39 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
It just shows women really were hard to get in the old days.

Casanova may not have been the most prolific lover in 18th century Vienna, but he certainly had the most popular book.

In his book Casanova talks about being fondled at the age of 11 and bedding two sisters at the age of 16 (they were 14 and 16). He puts considerable emphasis on the importance of these two events. The fondling is shown in the miniseries, but in real life he kept in touch with the girl his entire life, and she died in his arms. The actor is in his mid 30's which makes the event with the sisters seem different than if they were all teenagers.

The miniseries does ultimately try and take a romantic note, so it is necessary to change the more disgusting aspects of his life.