Happy Pentecost!

Page 2 of 2<12
June 8th, 2014 at 2:54:46 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: odiousgambit
If you asked the Preacher about it I think he would have said that it was something that happened then, but Believers today do not usually speak in tongues from divine inspiration.

I suspect a Pentecostal preacher would disagree. Hopefully someone will come along to argue the other side.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 8th, 2014 at 3:30:51 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Glossolalia, is the fluid vocalizing of speech-like syllables that lack any readily comprehended meaning, in some cases as part of religious practice.
Xenoglossy, is the putative speaking of a natural language previously unknown to the speaker.

Glossolalists believe that it is a miraculous charism.
Cessationists believe that the practice ended basically with the time of Acts.

A Catholic priest in Scotland in 1832 described a woman who could speak in a language not in own.

Xenoglossy is regular feature of horror movies and fantasy movies.

Pentecostalism revived the practice in the early 20th century in Topeka Kansas.
June 8th, 2014 at 4:46:25 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Pacomartin
Glossolalia...Xenoglossy...Cessationists

now these things would be what you would expect to be learning if it got covered in some religion course in college ... shows that it all gets studied
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 8th, 2014 at 5:54:40 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Its all in a basic psychology course: secondary gains.
People pretend to believe in multiple personalities because it gives them special parties and special privileges.
People pretend to believe in child hood sexual abuse being rampant because it benefits them, not because of the actual facts involved.

Think of the guy who claimed to be Jesus Christ when a shrink refused to act shocked or talk of blasphemy but simply said "Oh, good, we need a carpenter: make a set of bookshelves here" the man stopped making such claims because he gained nothing from them when they were accepted.

Its the same with Talking in Tounges .. in some trancelike state until the minister tells them not to do it. Then they are aware of their surroundings immediately.
June 8th, 2014 at 6:12:55 PM permalink
theodores
Threads: 2
Happy Shavuos.
Page 2 of 2<12