If Supermarket Sweep were run today...

Page 1 of 212>
November 2nd, 2012 at 9:36:23 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
As I recall, Supermarket Sweep was (is?) a game show where contestents have to answer questions in order to earn time in the climactic "race" through a "supermarket" (actually a soundstage complete with shelves/coolers/freezers) of products.) at the end of show. During the race, individuals, or couples would fill their shopping carts with product, and I think the winner was the one who collected the highest total; or it could be that there was a target total. Within the, "store" were hidden bonus products, so it was not prudent to just go to the meat case and load up on sirloins.

Since markets have changed so much since this shows heyday, if you were a contestant today, what item would you choose to win, if these were the rules:

-- It has to be found in your local supermarket. For the purposes of this question, "Supermarket" is defined as the retailer where you get the majority of your food, and they have to have shopping carts.
-- It can be a single item, or multiples of the same item.
-- It has to fit in a single shopping cart.
-- The shelf will only have as much as is usually displayed. You can't ask for more from the back.
-- The winner will be the one who takes their cart from the starting line at the entrance of the "store", and gets their cart of product to the checkout line within the time allotted with the highest total of goods in their basket.
November 2nd, 2012 at 9:41:33 AM permalink
JB
Administrator
Threads: 10
My first instinct is telling me to fill the cart with bags and/or platters of prepared (peeled, deveined, cooked) frozen shrimp.
November 2nd, 2012 at 9:48:44 AM permalink
FarFromVegas
Threads: 3
I remember you were limited to a set number of each item. I always thought it would be smart to max out the saffron since it took up so little space, unlike diapers and pet food, but I know they now have cheap saffron at Trader Joe's. It used to be like $22 or $23 per bottle! Powdered formula was also pricey for the size. The health and beauty section has a bunch of very expensive small items, from face creams to tooth whiteners. Protein bars and drinks are a fortune, but for a case so they'd take up more room. Now they lock up the expensive small stuff and some places chain down the Tide.

I loved Supermarket Sweep!
This space for rent
November 2nd, 2012 at 9:48:57 AM permalink
rdw4potus
We're limited to one item only? Also to only 1 brand, or no? Infant formula would be a good way to go if you could buy the whole category.
I'm not wearing any pants, film at 11
November 2nd, 2012 at 10:17:38 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Razor blades. I can load up with high dollar amount in value without even using a cart!
The President is a fink.
November 2nd, 2012 at 10:57:46 AM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
Caviar
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
November 2nd, 2012 at 11:24:46 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
If it were the regular supermarket I go to usually, I'd fill the cart with laptops, ipads and a huge flat screen on top :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 2nd, 2012 at 11:26:00 AM permalink
rdw4potus
Quote: Nareed
If it were the regular supermarket I go to usually, I'd fill the cart with laptops, ipads and a huge flat screen on top :)

Good point. I buy my groceries at Target, so...
I'm not wearing any pants, film at 11
November 2nd, 2012 at 11:33:39 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
If I recall correctly, just food items were allowed.
No beer, cigarettes, cosmetics, baby food, just
regular food items.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 2nd, 2012 at 11:57:46 AM permalink
FarFromVegas
Threads: 3
Quote: Evenbob
If I recall correctly, just food items were allowed.
No beer, cigarettes, cosmetics, baby food, just
regular food items.

Quote: Wikipedia page
The three main rules for the Big Sweep were:

The teams could only take up to five of each item.
Any items dropped and/or upset had to be returned to the shelf or in one's cart, or incur a $25-per-item penalty. Teams were also penalized for running into supermarket displays, cameramen, or any other personnel.
Only one member of each team could be in the store at a time; the other team member was required to remain at the checkout counter to unload the groceries.

The product limit, which was absent in the original ABC version of the show, was added to prevent a team from overloading their carts with expensive items, such as poultry, laundry detergent, or over-the-counter drugs.

You could have non-food and baby formula, just not more than 5 of each.
This space for rent
Page 1 of 212>