If Supermarket Sweep were run today...

Page 2 of 2<12
November 2nd, 2012 at 12:27:17 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: rdw4potus
We're limited to one item only? Also to only 1 brand, or no? Infant formula would be a good way to go if you could buy the whole category.

Hmm, I'll say one brand. Remember that you can only take what's on the shelf (no five item limit, doesn't have to be food). However, you can't ask for stuff from the back, so the pallet of iPads in the stockroom, is off limits. In fact, I doubt you could even find one that was actually for sale, "on the shelf". I like the razor blades suggestion, but doubt you could collect enough of them to win. Same with shrimp. I don't think they put out enough to fill a cart, so you could be leaving something else with less per pound value, but more shelf stock, behind. In the end, it will be the total that wins.
November 3rd, 2012 at 1:52:25 AM permalink
JB
Administrator
Threads: 10
Quote: Ayecarumba
Hmm, I'll say one brand. Remember that you can only take what's on the shelf (no five item limit, doesn't have to be food). However, you can't ask for stuff from the back, so the pallet of iPads in the stockroom, is off limits. In fact, I doubt you could even find one that was actually for sale, "on the shelf". I like the razor blades suggestion, but doubt you could collect enough of them to win. Same with shrimp. I don't think they put out enough to fill a cart, so you could be leaving something else with less per pound value, but more shelf stock, behind. In the end, it will be the total that wins.

As I recall, the actual show only had food and food-related products available. If expensive electronic entertainment devices are considered acceptable “grocery” items, I hereby rescind my ‘shrimp’ answer.
November 3rd, 2012 at 6:45:46 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: JB
As I recall, the actual show only had food and food-related products available. If expensive electronic entertainment devices are considered acceptable “grocery” items, I hereby rescind my ‘shrimp’ answer.

I don't recall the show at all. But the supermarket I shop at more frequently does sell laptops, ipads and big screen TVs, among other expensive electronics and appliances.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 3rd, 2012 at 7:56:47 AM permalink
JB
Administrator
Threads: 10
Quote: Nareed
I don't recall the show at all. But the supermarket I shop at more frequently does sell laptops, ipads and big screen TVs, among other expensive electronics and appliances.

Yeah but back in the show's heyday, most supermarkets did not, and certainly not the "supermarket" made for the game show. Then again, the title of this thread is "If Supermarket Sweep were run today..." which I neglected to take at face value.
November 3rd, 2012 at 12:11:50 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: JB
Yeah but back in the show's heyday, most supermarkets did not, and certainly not the "supermarket" made for the game show. Then again, the title of this thread is "If Supermarket Sweep were run today..." which I neglected to take at face value.

I don't often go grocery shopping when I visit the US. The last time was in '06 in Orlando... The point is I don't know how supermarkets are like very well. In mexico, though, most supermarkets, in addition to gorceries, also have farmacies and sell appliances, hardware, toys, computers, movies, music and home, garden and automotive supplies. The exception are the smaller places, which mostly focus on groceries.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 2 of 2<12