Poison Ivy

Page 2 of 2<12
June 16th, 2014 at 1:38:44 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
I don't know, but that's what it says.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 16th, 2014 at 2:15:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
You can get yarrow in all forms at a heath food store.
Online there's a lot of it, but you want it right
away.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 16th, 2014 at 9:42:21 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I'd start off with Dock... usually found near stinging nettles and associated in rhyme from the twelfth century as the thing to look for if just touched stinging nettles.

Yarrow is great. It works and intensifies other herbs. Its part aspirin but has strong blood clotting properties.
June 17th, 2014 at 5:38:09 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Sorry to hear it, Face.

You aren't going to want to hear this, but I am little affected by poison ivy. It has to rub well against my skin for me to get it, and I never get this spreading thing you talk about.

Once though I got a bad case of what I am guessing was poison sumac. I laid down in it in a junkyard helping a friend remove a part from a car. I am quite sure I would have recognized poison ivy and not made that mistake. It tore me up pretty bad, but boozing made the itch go away, so I went on a bender for 3 days till it was gone. True story.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 17th, 2014 at 7:50:14 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: odiousgambit
Sorry to hear it, Face.

You aren't going to want to hear this, but I am little affected by poison ivy. It has to rub well against my skin for me to get it, and I never get this spreading thing you talk about.

Once though I got a bad case of what I am guessing was poison sumac. I laid down in it in a junkyard helping a friend remove a part from a car. I am quite sure I would have recognized poison ivy and not made that mistake. It tore me up pretty bad, but boozing made the itch go away, so I went on a bender for 3 days till it was gone. True story.

I know, it doesn't bother me. Ash seems to be largely unaffected as well. She doesn't get as grimey as I usually do, but she's never got it the 3 or 4 times I've had it since we've been together, and has never had it herself period. My gram is the same way, she just pulls it out of the ground with bare hands and is good to go.

Sometimes I think just looking at it puts me at risk. I thought I was gaining some desensitivity, as the last few times were just a few individual dots that didn't bother me at all. I guess that was wishful thinking =p

Not surprised that beer worked, what with it's dulling of the senses. That fine detection of touch really is the worst. Whether it's the light, tickling brush of basketball shorts or the wind blowing on your skin, it's those light caresses that drive me insane. If I were to lean on it, it's not nice. But if a drop of water runs over it, I turn into a mad dog. Unfortunately I've had the kids ever since I contracted it, so no beer for me. I just bury myself in My Little Pony and try to ignore it ;)

I tore open the worst of the patches with some hyper aggressive shower time scrubbing. That sensation, despite the misery, is... what's better than "orgasmic"? I dunno the term, but it literally makes my knees buckle. I can feel it in my spine and radiating up through my neck. Scrubbing just feels so good. So the real bad patches have all burst, leaked, bled, and scabbed over, and those itch like any other wound. It tickles, I itch it, the itch goes away. Other than some stubborn individual blisters on my knuckles, I am doing much, much better today.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 17th, 2014 at 12:26:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Read this: "I tried the Bactine on a nascent poison ivy rash on the back of my hand. Worked like a charm. Bactine knocked down the itch instantly, and, with regular application, Bactine prevented the swelling and nasty rash I usually get."

I then remembered I too used a lot
of Bactine on my hands when I
had PI. You can get a strong version
in the spray bottle. It actually numbs
the area for awhile. Just keep applying
it, really worked for me.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 17th, 2014 at 1:01:49 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
There's always the stooge solution to pain relief.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 17th, 2014 at 6:16:18 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Evenbob
Read this: "I tried the Bactine on a nascent poison ivy rash on the back of my hand. Worked like a charm. Bactine knocked down the itch instantly, and, with regular application, Bactine prevented the swelling and nasty rash I usually get."

I then remembered I too used a lot
of Bactine on my hands when I
had PI. You can get a strong version
in the spray bottle. It actually numbs
the area for awhile. Just keep applying
it, really worked for me.

I'm mostly out of the woods now. The worst rashes are all crusted and done. They still itch, but I can itch them and have the itch go away like it's suppose to. I haven't showered or used lotion all day today, and at 85* and 95%+ humidity, I was dripping. Didn't bother me at all.

I'll surely remember this for next time, tho. Because there will be a next time =/
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 17th, 2014 at 6:26:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Bactine has that drug in it that deadens
the area for awhile. Just keep reapplying
it, I remember it was a lifesaver.
June 17th, 2014 at 9:08:43 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Looks like it's mostly over but the shouting, but FWIW in the future, the Bactine is worth every penny.

And baking soda plaster does draw the toxins out, taking over when the Bactine wears off.

Very sorry you've had to put up with this, Face. Simply awful.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
Page 2 of 2<12