living goddess in Nepal

June 19th, 2014 at 6:40:47 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

This story really struck me. These pre-pubescent girls (some as young as 5) are designated "living goddess". They are not permitted to walk outside, and sit in a room and bless people who come to them. Believers bow down to her and touch her feet. They are sent tutors to their home to keep up with schoolwork. Then suddenly once they have their first period it all ends. They have to learn to walk, and they become mere mortals and go to school.

A new "living goddess" is selected by the priests with divine guidance.

I remember seeing Bertolucci's film, the Last Emperor about Aisin-Gioro Puyi (7 February 1906 – 17 October 1967), who was the twelfth and final ruler of the Qing dynasty. He ruled for three years as a small child, and at some point in his adult life was imprisoned for 10 years. I remember reading that the way these little gods were raised, they had to be neurotic, as there was no sense of normalcy.

June 20th, 2014 at 6:34:00 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
My first thought was how incredibly bizarre, tragic, and abusive. Obviously anyone can see that these kids are going to grow up twisted.

Then I started to focus on "bizarre". Is it really so strange? How many kids of our own do we see subject to the same thing? Berrymore, Lohan, Honey Boo Boo?

Different mechanism, same result. People are weird.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 20th, 2014 at 8:06:01 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Face
Honey Boo Boo?

At least these living goddesses are told that menstruation will make them mortals again. It may be hard to adjust, but there is a finality. Honey Boo Boo will probably be expecting TV cameras her whole life, if she just does the right thing.