Money given to you

Page 1 of 212>
June 21st, 2014 at 7:27:32 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I was talking to this guy about a math problem, and I jokingly said if I solve it, then you owe me a beer.

When he answered me he said he had credited an account with 10 bitcents in it for me (roughly $59.40 at present).

I thought it was a nice gesture, especially since he gave me another 10 bitcents next time we spoke. (I did solve his problem).

Hypothetically, it occurred to me that it might not always be a good thing that someone could give you money if they just know your e-mail. If you want to frame someone, it might help if you can show that they took money from you.

What do you think? Is this a non-issue? I don't know if you can deposit money into someone checking account based on the account number on a check.
June 21st, 2014 at 7:41:04 AM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Can't people already send money to your email address via PayPal?
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
June 21st, 2014 at 7:55:59 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Pacomartin
I was talking to this guy about a math problem, and I jokingly said if I solve it, then you owe me a beer.

When he answered me he said he had credited an account with 10 bitcents in it for me (roughly $59.40 at present).

I thought it was a nice gesture, especially since he gave me another 10 bitcents next time we spoke. (I did solve his problem).

Hypothetically, it occurred to me that it might not always be a good thing that someone could give you money if they just know your e-mail. If you want to frame someone, it might help if you can show that they took money from you.

What do you think? Is this a non-issue? I don't know if you can deposit money into someone checking account based on the account number on a check.

They can in the UK, there's enough info on there. And I think there's enough via the Canadian system as well, though I have never tried.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
June 21st, 2014 at 8:22:23 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
If Bitcoin works like they say then it should be impossible to trace. In a regular bank they might be able to do it, but to get prosecuted they would have to show positive action on your part.

Glad to see someone is more paranoid than even I am.
The President is a fink.
June 21st, 2014 at 10:02:04 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Right,

If someone sends you money here via Email, you have to deposit it via your institution's website with your bank login information here. That is a condition of your acceptance.

Just like if someone sends you payment via PayPal, it's up to you to accept it. It just doesn't magically appear.
June 21st, 2014 at 10:31:47 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
If you want to frame someone, it might help if you can show that they took money from you.
Y'all can feel free to frame at any time.
June 21st, 2014 at 11:39:28 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
you can walk into a guy's bank and make a deposit if you know the account no., yes.

Quote: boymimbo
via PayPal, it's up to you to accept it. It just doesn't magically appear.

When I've gotten money via paypal, I seem to remember it "just appeared" I think

On the other hand, if it is easy to do, surely that is also easy to point out
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 21st, 2014 at 11:53:25 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: odiousgambit
you can walk into a guy's bank and make a deposit if you know the account no., yes.

When I've gotten money via paypal, I seem to remember it "just appeared" I think

AFIK PayPal money appears and is yours unless you decline it. IMHO you would have to take it out and use it to get even indicted as otherwise you could say, "hey, I didn't even check my account!"
The President is a fink.
June 21st, 2014 at 12:30:09 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
AFIK PayPal money appears and is yours unless you decline it. IMHO you would have to take it out and use it to get even indicted as otherwise you could say, "hey, I didn't even check my account!"

Well on TV shows I see these people getting framed and they always say they didn't know the money was there. It doesn't seem to matter to the police.

I think what amazed me was that he knew nothing about me except my e-mail address. He deposited the money on his site and when I went to the site an account was automatically created when I first visited the site. I just had to hit withdraw.

In this case it was a small amount of money given as a kind of gratuity. I was just amazed at how easy it was to transfer money from one person to another without any personal information, or traceability.

Now I can have to spend the bitcoins. The only place I know of that takes them around here is a SUBWAY about 12 miles from here. I think I could buy half a dozen $35 sandwich platters. It seems kind of stupid.
June 21st, 2014 at 12:56:33 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Well on TV shows I see these people getting framed and they always say they didn't know the money was there. It doesn't seem to matter to the police.

Scripted shows or documentaries? As we know, scripted shows are useless to go by.

While accepting the money may not be enough, it could be enough to start an investigation. If someone is getting the money as mafia-style tribute the cops could get a phone tap and follow the guy around. They could say, "Walter, why is this guy you don't know approving all these payments from his restaurant to you? Do you sell chicken?" If you don't interact with anyone they will have to find the sender.

This is all why it is step 2 of money laundering that is the most important. "INTEGRATION" is where it can easily fall apart.

Quote:
I think what amazed me was that he knew nothing about me except my e-mail address. He deposited the money on his site and when I went to the site an account was automatically created when I first visited the site. I just had to hit withdraw.

In this case it was a small amount of money given as a kind of gratuity. I was just amazed at how easy it was to transfer money from one person to another without any personal information, or traceability.

And that is what has the feds scared to death. IMHO you may one day see the Fed or Feds buy up all the BitCoins once mined. If they have them all they can say "no more of that" more easily than trying to ban them.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 212>