How do I rid myself of a feral cat?

Page 2 of 7<12345>Last »
July 3rd, 2014 at 6:39:27 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: odiousgambit

Interesting. You are absolutely right that wildlife, nature, and informed pet lovers and humane societies all know that feral cats are very much to be desired to be eliminated due to what they do to birds etc. I can't verify some of your other assertions.

"Anthropomorphism" is the problem. Cat-lovers think the cats "deserve to live" so thus the neuter-and-release policy. All the rabbits, birds, and other wildlife that gets destroyed--not even eaten by the cats, just destroyed--is ignored. People think cats are cute, can't hurt the feral cats. I used to have the same issue with pigeons. The only way to rid an area of pigeons is kill the things. But people think this is "mean." When bird exclusion work was done at an Ivy League school I dealt with the facilities guy said some girl wrote in to the paper about "the poor birds, shivering with no place to go." All the damage done is not known to these tea-cup folks who have never stepped outside their suburban, white-collar world.

People need to know that being "ethical" to animals does not mean that they are still animals.

Quote:
I wonder if you can put up a sign to say this? We had a problem last year, but we do have county animal control; they trapped them when we asked them to.

I grew up next door to the neighborhood cat-lady. She has been dead over 10 years and the house is still a mess.
The President is a fink.
July 3rd, 2014 at 7:40:38 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I dunno where this NatureAdvocate person came from, but I hope he/she stays XD

I don’t know nothing about cats. My neighbor’s cat is always in my boat because the interior is black and warm. It sheds all over the damn thing. But it also takes care of its fair share of moles and mice, so I consider my constant vacuuming as fair payment.

I doubt you could trap one even if you wanted. I can’t imagine a trap that a cat would want to go into, no matter the bait.

I really wouldn’t poison it. There are very few things which I would advocate poisoning.

Obviously my solution would be to shoot it as NA advised. Yeah, it’s probably “illegal” due to the proximity of your neighbors. But if you’ve read my racing thread, you’ll see I live close by as well. There are certain situations even there where I’d bring a firearm to bear. Only a .22LR of course, as .22SR is too weak and .17 is too loud. But a well placed kill shot is the easiest and most humane of all. I used to do it often at my old house which had the same neighborly proximity. Shooting from inside my garage, with a recently sighted .22LR and 9X scope was completely clandestine. Especially if it’s one shot, one kill, it’s just a non-descript noise. Dropping a long 2” x 4” onto a flat concrete floor makes an identical sound. Move along, nothing to see here.

Of course, a wily, slinking cat is a bit different than a fat, lumbering woodchuck. The chucks were easy to draw a bead on, check the background, ensure I had a stop, etc. I dunno if a cat would be as easy.

I can’t speak to air rifles. Never owned one, not familiar with them. But I assume they would be legal to discharge.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 3rd, 2014 at 8:10:13 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face

Obviously my solution would be to shoot it as NA advised. Yeah, it’s probably “illegal” due to the proximity of your neighbors. But if you’ve read my racing thread, you’ll see I live close by as well. There are certain situations even there where I’d bring a firearm to bear. Only a .22LR of course, as .22SR is too weak and .17 is too loud. But a well placed kill shot is the easiest and most humane of all. I used to do it often at my old house which had the same neighborly proximity. Shooting from inside my garage, with a recently sighted .22LR and 9X scope was completely clandestine. Especially if it’s one shot, one kill, it’s just a non-descript noise. Dropping a long 2” x 4” onto a flat concrete floor makes an identical sound. Move along, nothing to see here.

Shooting it is a nogo. Houses too close together, including the cop almost right behind me. When I do see him the range is too close and he is too fast.
The President is a fink.
July 3rd, 2014 at 8:15:35 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I can say for sure a trap works on a young cat, which is what we and animal control were dealing with.

Dunno about an older cat.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 3rd, 2014 at 10:23:35 AM permalink
Face
Quote: AZDuffman
Houses too close together, including the cop almost right behind me.

Options =)
July 3rd, 2014 at 11:59:30 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Why all the talk, just use the fox urine as I
suggested and the cat will go away. Problem
solved.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 3rd, 2014 at 4:44:53 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Quote: Evenbob
Why all the talk, just use the fox urine as I
suggested and the cat will go away. Problem
solved.
Agreed. This is almost becoming a gambling thread where the debate is risking ten years jail over a $10 cat. I'm not going to donate to a legal defense fund when he kills fluffy and gets caught.
July 3rd, 2014 at 5:56:00 PM permalink
Face
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
Agreed. This is almost becoming a gambling thread where the debate is risking ten years jail over a $10 cat.

10 years for what? Maybe if he went wild and shot someone trying to hit the cat. The fine for discharging a firearm or bow within 500' of a dwelling is only between $200 and $500 for a first offense.

Personally, I'd pay the fine rather than deal with fox piss. It's hot, humid, and my windows are always open =p

Here's another fun idea...

July 3rd, 2014 at 7:07:30 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Quote: Face
10 years for what? Maybe if he went wild and shot someone trying to hit the cat. The fine for discharging a firearm or bow within 500' of a dwelling is only between $200 and $500 for a first offense.

Personally, I'd pay the fine rather than deal with fox piss. It's hot, humid, and my windows are always open =p

Here's another fun idea...

I'm thinking he would take a chance at animal cruelty charges and if anyone found out what he did, the book would be thrown at him. It's an unnecessary path to choose when other means will work eventually. The damn rabbits will just eat his garden anyways, so he should let the cat get them. I know the rabbits suffer and cry literally like babies when they're killed by cats, but it's safer than killing the cat.
July 3rd, 2014 at 7:30:25 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxZwZwywO9s&feature=player_detailpage#t=89
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 2 of 7<12345>Last »