1 vote (7.14%)
1 vote (7.14%)
1 vote (7.14%)
3 votes (21.42%)

14 members have voted

July 8th, 2014 at 5:36:43 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
Wiz, very minor usage edit here: "...the old folks of southern Idaho get bussed bused into Jackpot..."

Freudian slip? :-)
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
July 8th, 2014 at 5:55:12 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: chickenman
Wiz, very minor usage edit here: "...the old folks of southern Idaho get bussed bused into Jackpot..."

Trivia time. Which is the older word-bus or buss? What is bus short for?
July 8th, 2014 at 6:09:48 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin

Omnibus?
The President is a fink.
July 8th, 2014 at 6:47:08 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
Quote: AZDuffman
Quote: Pacomartin

Omnibus?
Winna, winna, winna!
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
July 8th, 2014 at 7:43:15 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote:
He pointed out to me (on my Talk page) that the Federal Register notice that I posted about West Wendover in 1999, used the term "unofficial".

Since they were dealing with the federal government, they had to frame it their perspective.

What I have been trying to say all along is that Jackpot is officially on Pacific time per the federal government and Mountain time per the state government. Which prevails, I'm not sure, but think that per the Tenth Amendment it would be Nevada.

Famartin doesn't seem to understand the concept that there can be two different official time zones.

Quote:
According to the USCode below it is basically illegal to ignore the Time Zone as determined by the Secretary of Transportation.

My cars observe Mountain Time half of the year, including now, because I can't figure out how to change the clocks in them.

Quote:
Omnibus?

It is my understanding that the word for bus in Spanish is omnibus, but whenever I use that word in a Spanish-speaking country people look at me like they don't have a clue what I'm saying.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 8th, 2014 at 8:48:43 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
My cars observe Mountain Time half of the year, including now, because I can't figure out how to change the clocks in them.

Have you tried RTFM? It works nearly every time ;)

Quote:
It is my understanding that the word for bus in Spanish is omnibus, but whenever I use that word in a Spanish-speaking country people look at me like they don't have a clue what I'm saying.

Are you becoming Sheldon Cooper on purpose or by accident? ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 8th, 2014 at 7:24:13 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Posts about omnibuses have been moved to Another one rides the omnibus.

July 8th, 2014 at 7:50:25 PM permalink
theodores
Threads: 2
July 8th, 2014 at 8:19:11 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: theodores

I'd be proud if we did.
July 9th, 2014 at 12:59:19 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
I'd be proud if we did.

Famartin wrote some comments to you on my talk board. Rather than interpret them, I'll just re-post them here, To be clear, we both have the same last name, and the same initials for first and middle name.

Quote: Famartin

"There must be something official" you are so naive

You don't get it. This isn't a normal part of the United States. This area likes to thumb its nose at the Federal government, and the local Feds just go along with it because they know the locals don't like Feds and don't want to ruffle feathers any more than they are already perpetually ruffled. The facts are easily described as this:
1) Jackpot is legally defined by the Federal government to be in Pacific Time.
2) The locals just decided it was more convenient to go with Mountain Time, and the local Fed branches just went along with it.
That's how things work out here more often than not, because the Feds are busy with other matters they consider more important (land jurisdiction, fire suppression, etc) to care about a few thousand people scattered around a couple of towns in northern Nevada which don't follow the "legal" time. In the grand scheme, they don't care. As noted in the link you posted about West Wendover's decision, they always followed Mountain Time unofficially there, and that's the exact same situation in Jackpot. The end. If you can find some actual legal documents that say otherwise, be my guest, but there is no evidence any such documentation exists. Famartin (talk) 19:29, 8 July 2014 (UTC)

PS - To your friend on your chat board who thinks time zones come under the state dominion because of the 10th Amendment: The Federal Government considers time zones to come under the umbrella of the Commerce Clause (regulation of commerce among the states), and hence considers it (the Federal Government) to have supreme authority. Famartin (talk) 19:40, 8 July 2014 (UTC)

PS PS - To your friend who thinks there can be two official time zones: Well, if you can find any Nevada state legislation regulating time zones, then he could possibly have a point, but again, I suspect strongly that it doesn't exist. Famartin (talk) 19:41, 8 July 2014 (UTC)
Page 12 of 13« First<910111213>