1 vote (7.14%)
1 vote (7.14%)
3 votes (21.42%)

14 members have voted

July 6th, 2014 at 1:30:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
Note how those pictures showcase two of my other obsessions, juggling and license plate collecting..

I was going to include pics with busty
women, but that's more of a hobby
than an obsession. There are none on
a uni, that was disappointing.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 6th, 2014 at 2:08:12 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
I was going to include pics with busty
women, but that's more of a hobby
than an obsession.

You obviously haven't snooped hard enough on my hard drive.

Quote:
There are none on
a uni, that was disappointing.

The Wizard vs. ahigh unicycle race is tomorrow. Hopefully somebody will take some pictures.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 6th, 2014 at 2:11:06 PM permalink
Evenbob

The Wizard vs. ahigh unicycle race is tomorrow. Hopefully somebody will take some pictures.

Make sure Ahigh is wearing one of those
medical alert thingies, he looks pretty
out of shape to be competing in 110
degree heat.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 6th, 2014 at 2:14:24 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I just changed the Jackpot entry back to the MTZ for a third time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Dispute_resolution

So far he's left it alone. If he changes it call for a dispute resolution on the talk page, You have enough friends online that you will undoubtedly win this important matter.

Quote: Wikipedia original entry Sep 2003
Due to its ties to southern Idaho, Jackpot is considered to be in the Mountain Time Zone; it is the only town in Nevada not in the Pacific Time Zone.
July 6th, 2014 at 2:19:54 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
So far he's left it alone. If he changes it call for a dispute resolution on the talk page, You have enough friends online that you will undoubtedly win this important matter.

Thanks for the support. I do indeed plan to keep fighting this since I found that Nevada map.

Hopefully whoever maintains that page sees that I at least acknowledge his side by saying it is subject to debate and keeping his reference. If he erases my reference to the map I'm going to get really steamed and it will be all out war!

By the way, I made a few more edits, mostly punctuation and spelling and added a title to my source. Here is my new code:

Quote:
The time zone of Jackpot is subject to debate. Per the federal government, it is in the [[Pacific Time Zone]]<ref>{{cite web |url=http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2013-title49-vol1/pdf/CFR-2013-title49-vol1-part71.pdf |title=CFR 2013 Title 49 Volume 1 Part 71 STANDARD TIME ZONE BOUNDARIES |work=www.gpo.gov |accessdate=2014-07-05}}</ref>. However, per the state of Nevada, it is in the [[Mountain Standard Time Zone|Mountain Time Zone]] <ref>{{cite web |url=http://www.nevadadot.com/uploadedFiles/NDOT/Traveler_Info/Maps/NevadaHighwayMap2011-12.pdf | title=Official Nevada Highway Map |accessdate=2014-07-06}}</ref> due to its economic ties with the [[Magic Valley]] region of southern Idaho. Per the [[Tenth Amendment to the United States Constitution|Tenth Amendment]], state law supersedes federal law in this matter, since time zone authority is not specifically granted to the federal government in the United States Constitution. The only other city in Nevada located in the Mountain Time Zone is [[West Wendover, Nevada|West Wendover]].
July 6th, 2014 at 2:25:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
If he erases my reference to the map I'm going to get really steamed and it will be all out war!

At least it's for a worthy cause...

July 6th, 2014 at 2:44:23 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
I don't like your explanation. There is no Nevada Law that puts Jackpot in Mountain time. West Wendover is officially in MT -- it applied for a time zone change pursuant to US Law Title 15, Chapter 6, Section 260-267. Why wouldn't Jackpot do the same?

Time Zone boundaries are established in CFR 49 Part 71 - Standard Time Zone Boundaries.

Quote: CFR
(b)Utah-Nevada-Arizona-California. From the northeast corner of the State of Nevada southerly along the Utah-Nevada boundary to the junction with the northern border of the City of West Wendover, Nevada. Then westward along the northern, western, and southern boundaries of the City of West Wendover back to the Utah-Nevada boundary. Then southerly along the Utah-Nevada boundary, the Nevada-Arizona boundary, and the Arizona-California boundary to the boundary between the United States and Mexico.

(c) [Reserved]

(d)Points on boundary line. All municipalities located upon the zone boundary line described in this section are in the mountain standard time zone.

Now, point (d) is interesting. This piece of federal law allows areas on the boundary to use MST, but I don't think this applies to Jackpot, as that would apply to West Wendover too.

Nevada has introduced laws that are related to that federal law (neither passed):

Quote: Assembly Bill 450, May, 1997

Section 1 Chapter 237 of NRS is hereby amended by adding thereto a new section to read as follows:
1. The State of Nevada is hereby exempted from the provisions of 15 U.S.C. § 260a(a) requiring the advancement of time during the period commencing at 2 o'clock antemeridian on the first Sunday of April of each year and ending at 2 o'clock antemeridian on the last Sunday of October of each year, commonly known as daylight saving time.
2. During the period described in subsection 1, the State of Nevada, including all political subdivisions thereof, shall observe the standard time otherwise applicable for the time zone in which the state is situate, in accordance with the provisions of 15 U.S.C. §§ 260 et seq.
Sec. 2 This act becomes effective on January 1, 1998.

Quote: Assembly Bill 422, March 2003

Section 1. Chapter 234 of NRS is hereby amended by adding thereto a new section to read as follows:

1. The State of Nevada exempts itself from the provisions of 15 U.S.C. § 260a(a) requiring the advancement of time during the period commencing at 2 a.m. on the first Sunday of April of each year and ending at 2 a.m. on the last Sunday of October of each year, commonly known as daylight saving time.

2. During the period described in subsection 1, the State of Nevada and all political subdivisions thereof, shall observe the standard time otherwise applicable for the time zone in which the State is situated in accordance with the provisions of 15 U.S.C. §§260 et seq., the solar time of the 120th meridian west of
Greenwich, commonly known as Pacific standard time.

Sec. 2. This act becomes effective on July 1, 2003.

So, since Nevada nor Elko county passed any statute or regulation regarding time, I would propose that your Wiki entry amendment is wrong: you don't (and neither do I) know why Jackpot is in Mountain Time. Clearly, the US government does not recognize Jackpot as being in Mountain time, but Nevada does so. Just because it is on a map or a sign doesn't make it officially so according to law. Further, given that legislators in Nevada have introduced legislation referring to the federal law and daylight savings time means that it recognizes Federal Law and is not using the 10th amendment. Finally, there are no court cases that attempt to determine Jackpot's time zone.

Kris Kringle is Santa Claus -- he had to get a court decision to make it so, though the Post Office had believed so. There is no law, and Jackpot is getting away with it, because no one cares.
July 6th, 2014 at 2:54:55 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: boymimbo
I don't like your explanation. There is no Nevada Law that puts Jackpot in Mountain time. West Wendover is officially in MT -- it applied for a time zone change pursuant to US Law Title 15, Chapter 6, Section 260-267. Why wouldn't Jackpot do the same?

The official Nevada highway map puts Jackpot in the MTZ. I'm sure the map makers didn't just do that on a whim. I can't quote a particular source in words, but there can be little debate that the Nevada position is that Jackpot is on Mountain Time. To me, the map and placement of the time zone highway signs speak just as loud as words, if not more.

Regarding why West Wendover got an official change and Jackpot didn't, I don't know. West Wendover is a lot bigger than Jackpot so perhaps they had more resources to fuss with it. Keep in mind Jackpot doesn't even have a bank nor any official city government offices that I'm aware of, except the Jackpot Justice Court at 1146 Roulette Drive.

Regarding the "why" I didn't put that part in Wikipedia, but wanted to show respect for the author (I think it was our own PacoMartin) and didn't erase it. However, it is blatantly obvious it is correct if you went there. Almost every license plate in town is from Idaho.

The debate on this should center on who trumps who between federal and state government. For that, please see the tenth amendment.
July 6th, 2014 at 3:01:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
You should start another site for threads like
this. Call it 'Subjects That Few Care About'.
Have the sound of crickets always playing
in the background.
July 6th, 2014 at 3:12:40 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
You should start another site for threads like
this. Call it 'Subjects That Few Care About'.
Have the sound of crickets always playing
in the background.

Yes, but the few care about such topics passionately. Remember the 0^0 debate?