1 vote (7.14%)
1 vote (7.14%)
1 vote (7.14%)
3 votes (21.42%)

14 members have voted

July 6th, 2014 at 3:13:29 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
NRS, which is the entirety of Nevada Law, contains no reference to time zones. Attempts were made by NV legislators to change time zones within NRS, and therefore, it stands to reason that NRS would covers changes to time, but since it is covered entirely by federal law, there is no need.

If the 10th amendment was to be used, then West Wendover would simply apply to the state to change time and we would see a statute in NRS to reflect that. They followed the official procedures to change time, and there is no reason why Elko County wouldn't do the same for Jackpot. The sign on I-80 for the changeover to time is still in the wrong place, 15 years later (it's on the border with Utah).

FAA puts the airport in Pacific Time. I propose that Jackpot is in MT because Jackpot says it is. There is no Nevada Law regarding time zones, and therefore, Nevada hasn't used its 10th Amendment right.

State government might trump, but I believe that there is NO amendment in any state that overrides the time zone boundary set at the Federal level.

The 10th amendment reads: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people"

And unfortunately, Time Zones are covered in the Constitution: Article 1, Section 8:

Quote: US Constitution, Article 1, Section 8

1: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

2: To borrow Money on the credit of the United States;

3: To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

4: To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

5: To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

Time is a Measure. Time Zones are within its constitutional powers.
July 6th, 2014 at 3:15:46 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Wizard
Actually, juggling has taken a back seat lately because I have nobody to juggle with.
How about that attractive woman in Macau who wanders around juggling.
July 6th, 2014 at 4:00:12 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
To address the points above:

The attempted changes you mentioned regarded daylight savings time, which is a lot more important than what we're talking about. As mentioned before, Jackpot is a very small town in a sparsely populated county. That West Wendover has their sign in the wrong spot speaks to the lack of resources or interest in making such things right.

Again, I would argue that the map is Nevada's assertion that Jackpot is in the MTZ. This is one of the least populated states and has much more important things to worry about than putting a declaration about the Jackpot time zone into the NRS. Also, I don't concede it isn't in words somewhere. The map makers must have had something to go on when they drew the time zone boundary.

I'll concede you have a good point there on the 10th Amendment. I don't concede that you're right, but it is a valid argument. I would say that time isn't a measure, but things like a minute are a measurement of time. Much like water isn't a measure but a gallon can be a measurement of the quantity of water. I'd welcome input from any constitutional lawyers on the forum regarding this issue.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 6th, 2014 at 4:00:39 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
To address the points above:

The attempted changes you mentioned regarded daylight savings time, which is a lot more important than what we're talking about. As mentioned before, Jackpot is a very small town in a sparsely populated county. That West Wendover has their sign in the wrong spot speaks to the lack of resources or interest in making such things right.

Again, I would argue that the map is Nevada's assertion that Jackpot is in the MTZ. This is one of the least populated states and has much more important things to worry about than putting a declaration about the Jackpot time zone into the NRS. Also, I don't concede it isn't in words somewhere. The map makers must have had something to go on when they drew the time zone boundary.

I'll concede you have a good point there on the 10th Amendment. I don't concede that you're right, but it is a valid argument. I would say that time isn't a measure, but things like a minute are a measurement of time. Much like water isn't a measure but a gallon can be a measurement of the quantity of water. I'd welcome input from any constitutional lawyers on the forum regarding this issue.

Quote: Fleastiff
How about that attractive woman in Macau who wanders around juggling.

Who would you be referring to?

Finally, I edited the Jackpot entry again, to mention Flea's argument about Article 1.8.5. Here is the new wording:

Quote:

The time zone of Jackpot is subject to debate. Per the federal government, it is in the [[Pacific Time Zone]]<ref>{{cite web |url=http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2013-title49-vol1/pdf/CFR-2013-title49-vol1-part71.pdf |title=CFR 2013 Title 49 Volume 1 Part 71 STANDARD TIME ZONE BOUNDARIES |work=www.gpo.gov |accessdate=2014-07-05}}</ref>. However, per the state of Nevada, it is in the [[Mountain Standard Time Zone|Mountain Time Zone]] <ref>{{cite web |url=http://www.nevadadot.com/uploadedFiles/NDOT/Traveler_Info/Maps/NevadaHighwayMap2011-12.pdf | title=Official Nevada Highway Map |accessdate=2014-07-06}}</ref> due to its economic ties with the [[Magic Valley]] region of southern Idaho. Per the [[Tenth Amendment to the United States Constitution|Tenth Amendment]], state law supersedes federal law in matters not specifically empowered to the federal government. On the other hand, Article 1, Section 8.5 of the US Constitution, does give the federal government the authority to "fix the Standard of Weights and Measures." This issue may come down to whether drawing time zone boundaries falls under that category. The only other city in Nevada located in the Mountain Time Zone is [[West Wendover, Nevada|West Wendover]].
July 6th, 2014 at 4:41:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
So far you guys have changed it 6 times
today. I'm thinking of going in and erasing
all that you wrote and saying only retired
strippers and Lesbians live in Jackpot and
see how long it stays up.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 6th, 2014 at 4:43:14 PM permalink
boymimbo
The US Department of Transportation thinks it governs time; there is a process that municipalities can use to change its time zone subject to criteria. It created laws in 1918, 1942, and 2003 to govern the way that the US recognizes time. And even before 1918, railroad companies worked together to create time zones.. and there have been no constitutional challenges vis a vis the 10th.

Once again, even though Nevada recognizes Jackpot in MT, there is no law or statute that states that it is. Therefore, there is no 10th amendment stuff going on as there is no law in the books at all regarding time.

I believe that if the feds wanted to come down on Jackpot for its time zone, it has the power to do so, just as it turns the other way around marijuana in Colorado and Washington.

An alternate thought, Wizard, is that you could start the application process to officiallly put Jackpot into MT, which it observes. The criteria and the application is pretty clear.
July 6th, 2014 at 4:43:35 PM permalink
boymimbo
Quote: Evenbob
So far you guys have changed it 6 times
today. I'm thinking of going in and erasing
all that you wrote and saying only retired
strippers and Lesbians live in Jackpot and
see how long it stays up.

I'll get my daughter on that (but not from my IP address).
July 6th, 2014 at 4:49:43 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: boymimbo
An alternate thought, Wizard, is that you could start the application process to officiallly put Jackpot into MT, which it observes. The criteria and the application is pretty clear.

I must admit you make some strong points and are a worthy adversary. Regarding your suggestion, not a bad idea. Can you point me in the direction of how to get started?
July 6th, 2014 at 5:17:03 PM permalink
boymimbo
Link to DOT site here.

You'll probably need to write a letter to the Elko County manager explaining your intention: Robert K. Stokes @ (775) 738-5398

And the District 1 County Commissioner (who is the Elected official for Jackpot). Stokes reports directly to the Commissioners (there are four others) and handles most county business.

Demar Dahl
540 Court Street, Suite 101
Elko, Nevada 89801

...same phone number.

Good luck!!!
July 6th, 2014 at 7:09:23 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: boymimbo
Link to DOT site here.

You'll probably need to write a letter to the Elko County manager explaining your intention: Robert K. Stokes @ (775) 738-5398

And the District 1 County Commissioner (who is the Elected official for Jackpot). Stokes reports directly to the Commissioners (there are four others) and handles most county business.

Demar Dahl
540 Court Street, Suite 101
Elko, Nevada 89801

...same phone number.

Good luck!!!

Thanks. However, this requires a formal certification by the "appropriate governmental official." I think if Mr. Stokes wanted to pursue this he could just do it himself. The Elko County attitude is probably that they are just going to do business on Mountain Time in Jackpot and they don't care what the federal government thinks about it.