Are people born good?

Page 4 of 5<12345>
July 11th, 2014 at 8:43:48 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
I stated "at birth". They are neither good nor evil at birth. It is completely up to the parents to train the child to "be" good.

Perfect doesn't mean good. It means that they are born having committed no good nor evil. Children don't exhibit behavioural tendencies until they are a few months old.
July 11th, 2014 at 9:06:11 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: boymimbo
I stated "at birth". They are neither good nor evil at birth. It is completely up to the parents to train the child to "be" good.

Perfect doesn't mean good. It means that they are born having committed no good nor evil. Children don't exhibit behavioural tendencies until they are a few months old.

So are you then stating that people are not "born gay" since they do not exhibit these tendencies at birth? If everything is learned or trained then that makes the "born gay" statement impossible.

I have seen enough problem people in my life that I clearly think some people are born evil and grow up to do evil things. Prisons are full of people that cannot be controlled to be not evil no matter what is done. And I believe most people will act more evil than good without outside direction.
The President is a fink.
July 11th, 2014 at 9:19:19 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
I don't think there is a "evil" gene, but one never knows.
July 11th, 2014 at 9:50:49 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

There is a gene that makes people believe everything about a person can be reduced to genes. (*)

(*) No, there isn't.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 12th, 2014 at 11:34:03 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
That video fits in perfectly with the Christian point of view that men are born evil and need god to find goodness. That is why FrG always is surprised with an atheist claims to have a sense of morality.

My point of view is that we're all ultimately selfish. I don't necessarily equate selfishness to evil. Even FrG said he no longer gives change to beggars. I think at some point about half us learn that we get further in life to have some mix of selfishness and altruism. The other half are pretty much just selfish. My opinion is we're born one way or the other.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 12th, 2014 at 12:26:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I stated "at birth". They are neither good nor evil at birth.

Some kids are born sociopaths, and no amount
of training will change them. Prisons are full of
such people. Ever see a family that has three great
kids and one bad apple? He was born that way.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 12th, 2014 at 12:32:24 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

I'm inclined to believe in multiple bell curves for all sorts of characteristics with rarity at either end. It makes sense to have plenty of variety for survival. A lot of "useless" genes might not be so useless in different circumstances.

Plague can wipe out anything sharing the same weak link. Environmental conditions can favor one specific trait and devastate one that was dominant before.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 12th, 2014 at 12:59:54 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
How could you think somebody could be born that way without genetic proof?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
July 12th, 2014 at 6:12:22 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
Some kids are born sociopaths, and no amount
of training will change them.

We agree on another thing.

I used to work at a summer camp for "troubled" teenagers. Some of them were decent kids who just made some bad decisions and their parents were looking to give them a little "tough love." Others were just born bad. You could see it in their eyes.

I may write about this camp experience sometime.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 12th, 2014 at 6:29:11 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
You see it in animals. I've had cats for 50 years
and some kittens are born feral. They're just
nasty from the gitgo and nothing will change
them. Others are just as sweet as can be from
the earliest age, friendly and purring for attention.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 4 of 5<12345>