More mansions

Page 10 of 12« First<789101112>
October 15th, 2017 at 5:50:09 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 764
Posts: 9032
Quote: kenarman
If we can run all cars on batteries we shouldn't need any house wiring soon. Everything will be battery powered.


Although there is discussion of battery powered homes, it would seem overly complicated not to have wiring
October 15th, 2017 at 6:36:22 PM permalink
kenarman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 4
Posts: 1069
Quote: Pacomartin
Although there is discussion of battery powered homes, it would seem overly complicated not to have wiring


At one time we might have said the thing about wireless phones. We probably have wireless homes already in some third world countries in areas where the homes are basically disposable.
"There is no sin but ignorance" Christopher Marlow
October 15th, 2017 at 6:57:23 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 764
Posts: 9032
Quote: kenarman
At one time we might have said the thing about wireless phones. We probably have wireless homes already in some third world countries in areas where the homes are basically disposable.


My mother had one wire in the house where she grew up in the 1940's. They could put a light bulb in it, and a plug so they could play the radio. Heating was coal, hot water was boiled on a coal stove and cleaning was done with a broom and beating the rugs in the backyard.




You could probably do that today with C-batteries.
October 15th, 2017 at 8:16:47 PM permalink
kenarman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 4
Posts: 1069
My mother grew up in a 'soddy' on the Canadian prairies, no power at all. Coal oil lamps.
"There is no sin but ignorance" Christopher Marlow
October 15th, 2017 at 11:16:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 111
Posts: 12481
My dads farm had no power at all till he was
long gone 12 years. And that took the TVA
to make it happen. All 4 brothers joined
the Navy in the 30's to get off the farm
and there were no jobs, they had little
choice. Luckily they had HS diplomas,
not a usual thing in the rural 30's. The
Navy took them all.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 16th, 2017 at 12:20:59 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Member since: Oct 27, 2012
Threads: 50
Posts: 5275
Quote: Evenbob
All 4 brothers joined the Navy in the 30's to get off the farm, there were no jobs, they had little choice.
All those unable to meet the rather high standards for the military had to join the wandering masses who encountered signs advising homeless men to keep moving as we have enough problems taking care of our own. Work ethic? Dairy farmers dumped milk in the streets rather than truck it to market at a loss.

People in McMansions are just as vulnerable to economic disruption its just that they are not first in line for it.
October 16th, 2017 at 1:10:32 AM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 111
Posts: 12481
Quote: Fleastiff
All those unable to meet the rather high standards for the military


They also had to take a test, on top
of having a diploma. It was 100
questions and you had to score
well or you were rejected. My dad
always bragged he was the first
at his recruiting station to get all
100 correct, he was very proud of
that. 2 of his brothers made careers
of the Navy and retired as high ranking
officers in the 50's. All 4 brothers were
in WWII. in the Pacific. All survived.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 16th, 2017 at 1:31:42 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 764
Posts: 9032
Quote: kenarman
At one time we might have said the thing about wireless phones. We probably have wireless homes already in some third world countries in areas where the homes are basically disposable.


I have a battery in my phone which I can recharge roughly 10 times for a penny. But without a wire to my room, I would have to carry it somewhere that I have a bigger battery and let it charge for a few hours.

For all purpose a battery powered home using solar as a source would not negate the need to wire the home. Unlike my mother in the 1940s I need more than one place to plug things in
October 16th, 2017 at 6:16:05 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Member since: Oct 27, 2012
Threads: 50
Posts: 5275
Quote: Evenbob
All 4 brothers were in WWII. in the Pacific. All survived.
All 5 of the Sullivan brothers were in WWII in the Pacific. None survived.
October 16th, 2017 at 7:08:57 AM permalink
kenarman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 4
Posts: 1069
Quote: Pacomartin
I have a battery in my phone which I can recharge roughly 10 times for a penny. But without a wire to my room, I would have to carry it somewhere that I have a bigger battery and let it charge for a few hours.

For all purpose a battery powered home using solar as a source would not negate the need to wire the home. Unlike my mother in the 1940s I need more than one place to plug things in


That is why my original post mentions better batteries. I envision a home where everything has it's own battery. You would need some type of central charging station in the home to take your batteries to. Current battery technology is not good enough for a wireless home or for an electric car where I live and work.
"There is no sin but ignorance" Christopher Marlow
Page 10 of 12« First<789101112>