July 10th, 2014 at 7:32:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I see there are still some incandescent bulbs in
the stores but they are expensive. Why did we
get rid of them, was it GW? I hate the light
that comes from the CFW's, it's too blue and
makes me look pale in the mirror. I should
find some of the old and hoard about 100.

In the 80's and 90's I got bulbs for free. My
house is very old and has small windows and
is dark in the center on a bright day. So I kept
two 15W bulbs going 24/7. They were supposed
to last 2000 hours but only lasted about 1500.
I wrote GE and sent them the empty package
and they sent me 2 new bulbs without question.

I kept this going for 5 years and then got lazy
and stopped. I'm going to time the new crap
bulbs and I bet they don't last as long as they
say either.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 11th, 2014 at 2:45:50 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
I see there are still some incandescent bulbs in
the stores but they are expensive. Why did we
get rid of them, was it GW? I hate the light
that comes from the CFW's, it's too blue and
makes me look pale in the mirror. I should
find some of the old and hoard about 100.

In the 80's and 90's I got bulbs for free. My
house is very old and has small windows and
is dark in the center on a bright day. So I kept
two 15W bulbs going 24/7. They were supposed
to last 2000 hours but only lasted about 1500.
I wrote GE and sent them the empty package
and they sent me 2 new bulbs without question.

I kept this going for 5 years and then got lazy
and stopped. I'm going to time the new crap
bulbs and I bet they don't last as long as they
say either.

The old-style bulbs were regulated out of existence because GE and other producers used some useful idiots in the global-warming movement to pass a law in 2007 or 2008 that made efficiency standards so tight that incandescent bulbs could never meet them. This has caused them to disappear from said store shelves. The GW believers saw the traditional bulbs similar to how a vampire sees a cross in horror movies. GE and others pretended to lobby to keep them, but now they get to sell bulbs that cost the consumer more. Some states had been banning them before, but after the 2006 Democrat takeover of Congress POTUS Bush was weakened to such an extent he had to accept the ban nationwide.

FWIW the same useful idiots are now being used by OPEC against fracking and Keystone XL.
The President is a fink.
July 11th, 2014 at 5:48:19 AM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
Really? Banned?

We've got thousands on our shelves at the electrical supply warehouse in NJ where I work...
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
July 11th, 2014 at 5:53:43 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: DJTeddyBear
Really? Banned?

We've got thousands on our shelves at the electrical supply warehouse in NJ where I work...

I was also under the impression that they got a Reprieve, since it is clear the substitutes have failed to impress.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 11th, 2014 at 8:37:53 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: DJTeddyBear
Really? Banned?

The law didn't flat ban them it just set a standard per lumen or watt that they could not meet. It would be as if they passed a law stating full size pickup trucks had to get 25 mpg. You would no longer see V-8 engines in them. No direct ban but a effective one. I can't say Ina reprieve or waiver.
The President is a fink.
July 11th, 2014 at 9:16:44 AM permalink
boymimbo
We no longer have the 100W incandescents here in Ontario, and I just stocked up on the 60W, as they will be going away at the end of this year.

The push away from incandescent was both the environmental groups with corporations who saw bigger profits as incandescents had low margins. Most countries are now moving away from incandescents because newer technologies are better and give off much more of its energy as light. If you want to heat your home, buy a heater.

LEDs will be the new bulb with the CFLs being a bridge. CFLs are much cheaper over time than incandescents. I've owned my home now for 5 years and haven't had to replace any of my CFLs, while I've had to replace all of my incandescents at least twice times. Mercury is a concern of course, and that is why CFLs will eventually disappear to new technologies. Meanwhile, the halogen in my living room lamp that I've owned for 10 years has been replaced once.
July 11th, 2014 at 9:32:01 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: boymimbo

LEDs will be the new bulb with the CFLs being a bridge. CFLs are much cheaper over time than incandescents. I've owned my home now for 5 years and haven't had to replace any of my CFLs, while I've had to replace all of my incandescents at least twice times. Mercury is a concern of course, and that is why CFLs will eventually disappear to new technologies. Meanwhile, the halogen in my living room lamp that I've owned for 10 years has been replaced once.

Cheaper, but not as good in the cold and take time to warm up to peak light, again the colder it is out the worse this issue is. LEDs will eventually be how we go, but we had choice taken from us for no good reason.
The President is a fink.
July 11th, 2014 at 10:43:44 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I wonder whether illegal immigrants should carry a case of 100W incandescents? They're cheap enough to buy...

Quote:
LEDs will be the new bulb with the CFLs being a bridge.

LEDs will be big when they're cheap enough. I dislike looking at a light bulb as if it were a car or a major appliance.

Quote:
Mercury is a concern of course,

Much overblown. A fluorescent tube, like those used in offices and many public spaces for years, nay decades, contains little enough mercury vapor that I wouldn't concern myself with it. The problem is when you have massive quantities of used-up bulbs, not when one breaks in a public place.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 11th, 2014 at 10:19:15 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
The law didn't flat ban them it just set a standard per lumen or watt that they could not meet.

This light bulb should last 417 days at 3 hours per day. At 12 cents per kWh that is $10.81 vs $15.01 for a traditional bulb. The savings of $4.20 should make up for the $1.92 purchase price. If I consider a traditional bulb to cost 30 cents, then payback period is 6 months .

But many people have a hundred bulbs in their house. What about the bulb you only use for an average of 1 minute per day? The payback period is 79 years. More than likely you will be dead or the house will be sold, or the bulb will be broken.
July 13th, 2014 at 7:13:13 AM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Quote: Pacomartin
What about the bulb you only use for an average of 1 minute per day? ... More than likely you will be dead or the house will be sold.

Not necessarily. The worst thing you can do to a lightbulb (or just about any electric item), is to turn it on (or off, depending on your point of view).
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!