A Garden

Page 1 of 3123>
July 14th, 2014 at 5:41:13 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
We put out a garden this year. First time for that, other than the odd this or that in the small space I sometimes had.

It's great! Made some mistakes, but have generally had good luck.

Had our first batch of our own tomatoes. Had to do BLTs!

Here's a song for you in celebration, love how Guy really gets into it!

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 14th, 2014 at 7:27:07 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: odiousgambit
We put out a garden this year. First time for that, other than the odd this or that in the small space I sometimes had.

It's great! Made some mistakes, but have generally had good luck.

Had our first batch of our own tomatoes. Had to do BLTs!

This is my second year for a garden, first thing I made was fried zucchini. Awesome stuff. Last year I learned if you teach a man to fish he will eat that day, give a woman zucchini and you get zucchini bread for yourself a few days later.

This year I planted a few things more in a larger garden this year, and I built my own trellaces for the pumpkins of which I will have a ton. I can't believe the satisfaction of a small victory garden and can't wait for the corn. I am going to try to grow a square pumpkin or two again this year.
The President is a fink.
July 14th, 2014 at 9:46:10 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Mine’s a mess. I just did vines, grass, and a few flowers, nothing for eats. It went to seed some 10 years ago, but this year I wanted to make it nice.

I put in a 150gal pond, cut the vines back, got poison ivy as a result, tore out old root balls and whatnot. I put over 100hrs into it easy, actually had it looking nice.

Weren’t even a week before the weeds and grass started blooming in the fresh tilled dirt. A week after that they were full size. So another week of 20+hrs getting it back nice again, and another week before it all came back.

So, it’s all back to seed again lol. It makes my pond more of a swamp, but I’ve decided I like it better that way =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 14th, 2014 at 11:14:45 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Weeds? Depends upon definition. Many are edible and quite nutritious.
July 14th, 2014 at 12:24:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I had a garden 20 years ago, then I discovered
the produce section of my local grocery. Sweet
corn is real cheap this time of year.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 14th, 2014 at 1:37:26 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
I'm thinking I might try the three sisters in my plot next year - corn, beans and squash together.

My deck garden produces a few bits of kale, some beans and potatoes and lots of herbs. Not quite as cheap as the local farmer's markets or the supermarkets, but not too bad. And much fresher. Got a plot this year, and the fresh baby carrots and chard were fantastic. Hoping the potatoes and spinach will be as good. This will work out cheaper in cost than the supermarket ($30 in seeds and seedlings, $20 in soil and compost), and even cheaper next year.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
July 14th, 2014 at 2:06:00 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: TheCesspit
I'm thinking I might try the three sisters in my plot next year - corn, beans and squash together.

I did 2 of the three sisters this year, no beans this year. One piece of advice is you have to plant further apart than you thing as the squash grows fast and big. Need to get the corn in a week or two ahead of the squash also.
The President is a fink.
July 14th, 2014 at 2:44:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Best fresh from the garden pole bean recipe.
Leave them whole, after the ends are snapped.
Boil the beans until they almost lose their
crispness, but not until they have the softness
of canned beans. Toss them in a sauce of
melted butter and tablespoon of minced garlic
and a teaspoon of salt. Eat with your fingers
by picking up the end of a bean and biting
it. You've never had beans this good.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 14th, 2014 at 2:45:22 PM permalink
Face
Remember to rotate as well. I can't remember the exact "families", but was something like beans (beans, peas, peanuts), squash (squash, pumpkin, cucumber, watermelon), lettuce (cabbage, kale, broccoli, cauliflower), and tomato (tomato, potato, pepper). Don't plant the same family in the same spot two years in a row. Something to do with disease, and also soil degradation. Beans put nitrogen back into the soil, while tomatoes take a whole bunch. Rotate, rotate, rotate!

Also to OG, fish scraps make a good fertilizer. Many natives still bury carp and sucker in their gardens.
July 14th, 2014 at 3:58:30 PM permalink
Face
Quote: Fleastiff
Weeds? Depends upon definition. Many are edible and quite nutritious.

Garden in May

Garden in June

Garden in July =p

Spot the frog and win one internets.
Page 1 of 3123>