No more Android at Nokia

July 17th, 2014 at 1:27:46 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Shortly after Microsoft said it intended to acquire Nokia, but before the purchase was made official, Nokia launched a line of Android phones.

Sort of. They used a heavily modified version of Android which loked like Windows Phone and used MS services as defaults (Sky Drive, Bing, Skype, etc). My reaction at the time was "Does your mother know you're doing this?"

Long, and boring, story short, the new MS CEO decided to banish Android from his domain.

It's too bad Nokia didn't adopt Android early on like everyone else. Back then they still had a respectable market share. Choosing Windows Phone pretty much is what killed Nokia.

Oh, well.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 24th, 2014 at 6:32:09 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
And no more Nokia at Nokia. Nokia's is dead, as far as phones are concerned.

Nokia's handset (phone) business, acquired by Microsoft, continues to exist, as part of Microsoft. But now the phones are called Microsoft Lumia and the Nokia brand will no longer be used.

I rather liked Nokia for a while. I owned four different Nokia phones in my life. Not smart phones, though you could download games, take photos, send email (badly, and you couldn't receive email), and actually were good for making calls, too (to quote Futurama "A cellphone telephone.") At the time they were "free" with most year-long contract options. The most I ever paid for one, in addition to the plan, was about $10 (that one could play MP3 files).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER