Page 13 of 16« First<10111213141516>
September 9th, 2015 at 3:18:11 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Evenbob
I'll say it again, it's not you, it's the depressed area
you live in. If you lived in W MI you would have a
job by next week.

Face, would you move to get a job? I think you have to think about this.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 9th, 2015 at 4:01:06 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
for correction officers I've heard Louisiana is the pits but an easy hire for older guys. Low salary, corrupt, video cameras turned on only for special occasions, etc. but then you apply for a job in a different state.

for game warden alot is undercover. One woman, who encountered her first murder victim at age 14, went on to a career in fish and game often being sworn in as a state officer for undercover work since her federal undercover operations became legendary.

alot of firms give HR types too much power just too avoid hiring the weirdos and wackos and the fact that you would really like the job can be a death knell. I know one general manager who was fond of boasting "If any employee here is happy; I'm not doing my job".
September 9th, 2015 at 6:41:27 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I just listened to a podcast on easy businesses to start. The guy had one I think Face would be made for.

Fishing Guide! Seems some guys will pay a guide to show them where to fish on a lake and handle all the particulars. Market to the rich boys in Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse or even in the city, though that might be harder owing to distance and population size. IIRC he said he has the boat already so hire out. Package a whole weekend, get 4 guys, get $125 each in net out of them, $500 a weekend.
The President is a fink.
September 9th, 2015 at 7:51:34 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Evenbob
I'll say it again, it's not you, it's the depressed area
you live in.

Quote: odiousgambit
Face, would you move to get a job? I think you have to think about this.

Lot of problems with this, so much so that it's nearly out of the question.

I'm living in my childhood home for free. Nice neighborhood, big yard, 30yr history with neighbors, it's a great place to raise a kid. Moving came up during the custody hearings and I fought it the whole way. Other than the quality of the house and location, I look at it as a good $600 - $900 a month profit, as that is money I am not spending on rent / mortgage. It's a real boon that would take one hell of a job opportunity to part with.

What really puts it out of the question is my kid himself. I spent considerable time, energy, and money to get him full time, which I just did as of last week. My mom sold her house and moved not but three weeks ago to just the other side of town not five minutes away, just so she was close and available to help out should I need her. And he's started school. His mom and I both agreed and believe that yanking him out of school mid-season was something reserved for the most extreme of emergencies.

Forget me, this is his home. I have a lot of resources and a deep family safety net, all of whom live maximum 15 minutes away. The majority, some 11 people and their help, are within 5 minutes. Some things money can't buy.

Quote: AZDuffman
I just listened to a podcast on easy businesses to start. The guy had one I think Face would be made for.

Fishing Guide! Seems some guys will pay a guide to show them where to fish on a lake and handle all the particulars. Market to the rich boys in Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse or even in the city, though that might be harder owing to distance and population size. IIRC he said he has the boat already so hire out. Package a whole weekend, get 4 guys, get $125 each in net out of them, $500 a weekend.

A good hustle, yes, and you're right; I am totally made for it =)

But I'd put this in the "extra hustle" category. Something I do to supplement an income I already have. The details make it sort of inapplicable to my current situation.

To guide in NYS, you of course need a license. NY needs their cut, you know? =p The license is $100. In addition, you need CPR / 1st Aid certification as well as a physician's sign off on physical fitness. Both would require additional fees, whether for courses or Drs visits. It's not impossible, just requires some additional borrowing.

If I hopped on it right now, I'd get a license just in time to catch the tail end of the Fall trout run. Doubtful that I'd start getting customers instantly, and I don't ice fish. Springtime is nearly impossible to guide. No one does it around here because it is so unpredictable. Reasonably, I wouldn't expect to start cashing in on that investment until Apr / May of 2016.

And then there's the gear. Guiding is much like taking my kid; it's just them. I do all the rest. While my stuff is fine for me, I'd need a pretty heavy output of cash to bring my gear up to guide levels. Rods, reels, holders, lures, a bigger boat (mine is too small and the motor is on the fritz), extra PFD's and safety gear, 1st Aid, radios... it's not reasonable in my current situation. Fishing buddy Wally from my fishing thread runs his own, NorthboundAdventures, so I'm pretty familiar with the process and what to expect. I'd need to invest first and not really make a profit until after a good handful of trips, assuming I get some customers semi-regularly.

Poor people don't guide. But once I'm gainfully employed, it wouldn't be a bad way to make a bunch of extra scratch.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 9th, 2015 at 10:42:22 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Face
Forget me, this is his home. I have a lot of resources and a deep family safety net, all of whom live maximum 15 minutes away. The majority, some 11 people and their help, are within 5 minutes. Some things money can't buy.
Very true.

Quote:
To guide in NYS, you of course need a license. NY needs their cut, you know? =p The license is $100. In addition, you need CPR / 1st Aid certification as well as a physician's sign off on physical fitness. Both would require additional fees, whether for courses or Drs visits. It's not impossible, just requires some additional borrowing.
If you are going to legally guide on navigable waters you will need a coast guard "masters license", also subject yourself to random drug screens. The CPR/first aid, everyone should have, especially as a parent. You can probably take the course for free at your local fire dept. If not, they will know where you can. Child CPR/1st aid is slightly different. Do you know the heimlich maneuver? If not you should, simple and life saving. It's not just about you anymore, and especially if you are going to be the soul caregiver. : ) IMO, we don't have to be religious to be spiritual.

Quote:
If I hopped on it right now, I'd get a license just in time to catch the tail end of the Fall trout run. Doubtful that I'd start getting customers instantly, and I don't ice fish. Springtime is nearly impossible to guide. No one does it around here because it is so unpredictable. Reasonably, I wouldn't expect to start cashing in on that investment until Apr / May of 2016.
The Master's license will require documenting a year on the water, not hard but they love the paperwork, all mariners should know the "rules of the road" AFAIC. I've seen so much stupidity on the water as well as the boat ramp, I would be in favor of boat driver licensing as they do in Europe.

You know, you can give lessons on how to fish, year round. Especially fly fishing, fly tying, etc. What about teaching kids how to play hockey? Give slap shot lessons, hockey self defense for little tykes, stick etiquette and so forth? You got skills, how to profit?

I have been around a lot of hunt/fish guides. I took the test, ran the numbers and for me to do it, I burned more fuel and rigging then I could make. You seriously need the proper insurance. Clients are accident prone as hell. I also considered not taking something I love and making it a job. Made me look less forward to it. Ask your friend. Weather shitty, fish not biting, make more sense to go do something else? No clients, take off go do something else. With clients, sit there in the rain and watch your existence get soaked with no hope of a fish. Gruelling. Clients expect trophy fish each time out. That's another one of those "hero to asshole" in sixty seconds jobs.[examples upon request]

Quote:
And then there's the gear. Guiding is much like taking my kid; it's just them. I do all the rest.
And hopefully after having clients, you don't start thinking of family as a job? It's a lot easier taking a few people you care about, and truly caring then it is after a bunch of whining clients, complaining about everything under the sun. Fisherman are notoriously cheap, and tip lousy. Hunters tip like whales. What does it take to hunt/guide in your country? Hunters bring most of their own favorite stuff. They will pay thousands for a decent buck, same for a bear. Geese, ducks, upland birds...all you need is a decent Labrador or let the kid fetch 'em. : )
The dog pulls double/triple duty, always knows where the kid is in the woods, obedient so mom can keep it [if you ever get a date], etc. I taught mine to stay between the kids and the wood stove, cool. Dogs can be a multi-use tool.

From what I've seen, hunter's have respect. They usually have hunted before and know not all trips produce game. Fisherman on the other hand are often Knottheads, who may have read "Bass Pro" and are an authority on everything that is wet, and loud mouthed "know it alls". If you are prone to rage, it wouldn't do you well to take out fishing clients, if you value your freedom. : )

Quote:
Poor people don't guide.
A lot of guides become poor people. Hypothetically, I sold enough steelhead to pay for my first skiff. I don't know if you have fishing rights, but I will bet there is some gourmet restaurant close by that would love to purchase "catch of the day" for a hefty price.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 9th, 2015 at 11:19:52 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Good info, petro. My guiding buddy is land-based. I would have never thought of some of the stuff you posted, like Captain's license or whatever you need for water. He doesn't have a boat, so I was unaware. But all the rest, from gear to knuckleheads, was definitely going through my mind.

No worries on the CPR / 1st aid stuff. I've been through a hundred. I could trach the kid if it came down to it; it's just that my "official" card has expired. Heimlich, child Heimlich, self Heimlich, blood loss, poisoning, radiation, electrical shock, system shock, burns... I got it covered at least well enough to get someone to the medic.

Hunting is pretty much out. Land around here falls into three categories - Old world, New world, and State. The old world plots are packed with old world families. Guys whose grandfather's grandfather owned it and every male since then hunts it. Talking wads of 10-20 guys of all of the same clan. New world is all the city jagoffs. You can get on their land, but you're gonna pay for a lease. This is what my buddy Wally does. I can't afford no lease. And the State land is like the Gaza strip. Just nonstop unloading from every which way. I don't even fish on state land during shotgun season.

One good idea here is simply selling fish. I can think of at least a couple places in my area that serve fresh fish fries, walleye and perch from Erie. One is actually right at the entrance to my main launch. I'd have to break Conservation law and harvest my own bait, as a poor emerald shiner spawn has 'em going for $6 a dozen and would eat up any profit. I guess I could add it to list the list of "laws I break everyday". It's better than becoming a common thief =p

"Fishmonger Face". It's kismet ;)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 9th, 2015 at 1:56:50 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: petroglyph
I also considered not taking something I love and making it a job

this
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 9th, 2015 at 6:07:07 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Misc. thoughts.

do you still have your postal carrier gig?

certificates, licenses, etc.: Heck you need a third class medical certificate for your flying lessons from BBB.

guide: beware your customers, the game wardens have taken to hiring guides for a week and then writing up citations on the final date.

family support network: yeah, good to have handy even if you never use it. Not vital though and you can always come back to it if you do leave it.

free rent: start paying 'phantom rent'....put your rent payment into the savings bank on the first of each month. good incentive.

a fishing blog? an outdoors blog?

www.patreon.com?
September 18th, 2015 at 10:22:20 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2015/09/18/the-typical-male-u-s-worker-earned-less-in-2014-than-in-1973/ According to the US census bureau, it isn't just my imagination.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 19th, 2015 at 4:46:57 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph

Felt that way for quite sometime. Show I watch said if we were making what we made in 1978, car sales would be 22MM per year and not 17MM.

No, not "just" immigration, but that is a major factor. While it is impossible to quantify, think personally and one will realize that this is around when Americans started preferring to buy cheap junk you threw away to quality stuff you kept, repaired, and maintained. First merchandise trade deficits that mattered. Plus the oil shock.

But still, hard to argue we would not be making more if we were not importing millions of folks working on the cheap.
The President is a fink.
Page 13 of 16« First<10111213141516>