I Quit My Job

Page 14 of 16« First<111213141516>
November 6th, 2015 at 9:19:28 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
"As the chart below shows, in October the age group that accounted for virtually all total job gains was workers aged 55 and over. They added some 378K jobs in the past month, representing virtually the entire increase in payrolls. And more troubling: workers aged 25-54 actually declined by 35,000, with males in this age group tumbling by 119,000!" [ZH]

Do you notice more older workers when you are out and about?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 6th, 2015 at 1:39:26 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: petroglyph
Do you notice more older workers when you are out and about?

Odd you mentioned this. It brought some subconscious observations to the forefront, and yeah, I've been thinking about this.

I dunno how many people there are in my office, but "50" would not be an exaggeration. I can think of only 8 of us who are "young" (my age). Most are easily in their 50's. I see men my dad's age serving in Pizza Hut. I just hit my local pizza joint 10 min ago and three of the workers were also 50+. Middle aged men serving as Walmart greeters. Yeah, I see it around.

GD boomers taking all our jobs! =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 6th, 2015 at 2:49:26 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face

I dunno how many people there are in my office, but "50" would not be an exaggeration. I can think of only 8 of us who are "young" (my age). Most are easily in their 50's. I see men my dad's age serving in Pizza Hut. I just hit my local pizza joint 10 min ago and three of the workers were also 50+. Middle aged men serving as Walmart greeters. Yeah, I see it around.

I'm not 55 yet, but I see it in myself. The thing is at a certain age you do what you gotta do to keep the fridge full. If anyone is an example here I surely have been the past 8+ years. So what happens is a place sees the older guy and the younger kid. They wonder who is hungrier, they think who knows customer service better, they look at both guys and take the older one because they know that one has life experience that cannot be taught.

The job situation in the USA is still sickly and I don't care the hype.
The President is a fink.
November 7th, 2015 at 4:00:49 PM permalink
Face
I remember when it used to be no one wanted the grey hair as he was all used up. Perhaps now no one wants the kid because most are entitled and completely useless =p

And yeah, things suck around here. I've been having a lot of lottery fantasies as 93% of my day is daydreaming. Pretty much every single one revolves around having the ability to start a business or non-profit. Let me spell that out - I yearn for unlimited money so I can fulfill the dream of going to work. Sad stuff.

Back on topic, my extreme nature may have gotten the best of me. Seems I'm always feast or famine, bottle up then blow. I went hard on the PO, getting louder and more annoying by the week. Scarfed up every single game I could to where I'm already reffing college kids well above my level and WELL above my ref level. If there was a game, I asked for it. A route, I put in for it. An open shift, I volunteered. And I finally got it!

All of it ><

I have this coming Tuesday off. It appears that other than the three federal holidays, my next scheduled day off isn't until 2/5/16. And that's only if things "work out". If I get the other route, my next day off won't be until March or April ><

Feel free to set a line on the date I get caught drinking on the job =p
November 7th, 2015 at 4:40:40 PM permalink
AZDuffman

Back on topic, my extreme nature may have gotten the best of me. Seems I'm always feast or famine, bottle up then blow. I went hard on the PO, getting louder and more annoying by the week. Scarfed up every single game I could to where I'm already reffing college kids well above my level and WELL above my ref level. If there was a game, I asked for it. A route, I put in for it. An open shift, I volunteered. And I finally got it!

All of it ><

I have this coming Tuesday off. It appears that other than the three federal holidays, my next scheduled day off isn't until 2/5/16. And that's only if things "work out". If I get the other route, my next day off won't be until March or April ><

Feel free to set a line on the date I get caught drinking on the job =p

Hey, I am with you. Was having a beer with my buddy who is looking for a side hustle (and BTW who I have been trying to steer to reffing sports) and told him about the day job, dealing job, and luggage job and when I do each. He asked because he as I said is in the need to hustle. He heard my plans and said, "you are going to wear yourself out!" My parents keep saying the same! I will be on a similar tear until about March. Hoping we both make it.

Meanwhile I just sold the first thing I made from scratch on eBay! Netted about $1, but learned about my needs for packaging and pricing. Was making it anyways so not as bad as it seems. I at first wanted to test the market. Note to all, USPS will not take a package with masking tape on it no matter how neat it is wrapped.

Other meanwhile I picked up what should complete my needs for a wood shop to do some pallet projects for sale and let me get out of this craziness of working all week then driving nights on the weekend. More full report on the items I bought when I can get them unloaded and pics. I need help to unload, these things are heavy and I mean heavy!
The President is a fink.
November 7th, 2015 at 5:23:00 PM permalink
Face
I dunno about sports other than hockey, but it is extremely easy (assuming you already know how to skate). No interview, no licenses; it's a volunteer job that you get paid for, and is fun to boot. RonC does this as well as football, and he said sort of the same opportunities are in all the sports.

On making stuff, it's fun, ain't it? Forget the dollar, I enjoy the process. Not only making the stuff, but working the big, mysterious chasm in between the making and the money. How can I advertise, how can I communicate, how can I transact, how can I ship, and what little bits can I shave off each of these to make one big bit, which will be extra profit. It might be the tiniest business one could imagine, but you are every part of that business.

Don't forget my look inside the USPS. Imagine your package had to go ten miles, and those ten miles were by bike, and the package was tied to the back and dragged the whole way at 5mph. That is essentially the amount of punishment they receive from the time it's picked up to the time it's delivered. No smashes or bangs, but a million slides and scuffs and spins and bumps and dings and drops. If any part of your package can't handle that, don't ship it.
November 7th, 2015 at 5:42:19 PM permalink
AZDuffman
I dunno about sports other than hockey, but it is extremely easy (assuming you already know how to skate). No interview, no licenses; it's a volunteer job that you get paid for, and is fun to boot. RonC does this as well as football, and he said sort of the same opportunities are in all the sports.

I am considering lacrosse. I can't skate, never could. Lacrosse is hockey on grass. My buddy is considering baseball. Football is way too competitive and some of the schools here have people insane about it. I hate basketball and same as football competitive and insane wise. What I like about the reffing hustle is that like dealing you get $30-50 per hour of work. I don't mind the driving and delivering but it is breaking my back. My money/debt goal is there for it then I phase it out.

Quote:
On making stuff, it's fun, ain't it? Forget the dollar, I enjoy the process. Not only making the stuff, but working the big, mysterious chasm in between the making and the money. How can I advertise, how can I communicate, how can I transact, how can I ship, and what little bits can I shave off each of these to make one big bit, which will be extra profit. It might be the tiniest business one could imagine, but you are every part of that business.

Beyond fun. I have learned I really love wood. I naturally "machine" dado cuts before I learned what they were. Machining metal and wood fascinates me to a point I should almost seek help. I am again reading how to make this table on The Art of Manliness, now that I have the saws and drill press my excuses are less. The question is can I sell a solid wood custom made table for say $800-1000? This is apart from the pallet projects I am planning.

Quote:
Don't forget my look inside the USPS. Imagine your package had to go ten miles, and those ten miles were by bike, and the package was tied to the back and dragged the whole way at 5mph. That is essentially the amount of punishment they receive from the time it's picked up to the time it's delivered. No smashes or bangs, but a million slides and scuffs and spins and bumps and dings and drops. If any part of your package can't handle that, don't ship it.

It was the masking tape itself. It was packed well but she said it can absorb God knows what. Also said booze boxes are forbodden. FedEx Ground lets them but USPS does not.
The President is a fink.
November 7th, 2015 at 6:04:39 PM permalink
Face
Quote: AZDuffman
I am considering lacrosse. I can't skate, never could. Lacrosse is hockey on grass. My buddy is considering baseball. Football is way too competitive and some of the schools here have people insane about it. I hate basketball and same as football competitive and insane wise. What I like about the reffing hustle is that like dealing you get $30-50 per hour of work. I don't mind the driving and delivering but it is breaking my back. My money/debt goal is there for it then I phase it out.

What I like about the hustle is the versatility. Even though it's just two gigs, it's great to be able to say "Hmm, do I want $120 for 8hrs of misery, or just $70, but for 2 hours of bliss?" If you could get a handful of these, man, but that'd be great. As it was, I took both =p

Good luck on the lax. That's too much running for me ;)

Quote: AZD
Beyond fun. I have learned I really love wood. I naturally "machine" dado cuts before I learned what they were. Machining metal and wood fascinates me to a point I should almost seek help. I am again reading how to make this table on The Art of Manliness, now that I have the saws and drill press my excuses are less. The question is can I sell a solid wood custom made table for say $800-1000? This is apart from the pallet projects I am planning.

Lol, and I'm a metal guy. I do love wood, but there's something about not being able to mess up that just fits me (obv) lol. If you mess up wood, you have kindling. Mess up metal and you can just rivet and weld and bend and pound it back to where you need it. That works for me =)

If I could sell that slab table I made for a few hundo, should be no reason you couldn't sell a good one for a grand. Somebody will want more than the particle board and laminate garbage in all the stores. EB shared some good sanding and staining tips. Maybe hit him up.

Quote: AZD
It was the masking tape itself. It was packed well but she said it can absorb God knows what. Also said booze boxes are forbodden. FedEx Ground lets them but USPS does not.

Oh, huh. I thought it would've been because masking tape would shred before it had even been sorted. But yeah, we're pretty anal about that stuff. Can't be leaking, or stained, or smell funny. Can't be smoking or glowing, buzzing, or be hot OR cold. You know, terrorist, .gov, all that jazz. And if you repurpose a box, you have to black out stuff sometimes. You could be sending Pops a pair of cotton Dockers, but if the box says "Pennzoil" or "Chlorox" or "Duracell", it's probably coming right back to you.
November 7th, 2015 at 6:23:17 PM permalink
AZDuffman
What I like about the hustle is the versatility. Even though it's just two gigs, it's great to be able to say "Hmm, do I want $120 for 8hrs of misery, or just $70, but for 2 hours of bliss?" If you could get a handful of these, man, but that'd be great. As it was, I took both =p

Good luck on the lax. That's too much running for me ;)

You think the exact same way I do. Not even sure I will make the reffing, but here is the thing. Being so close to broke, bankrupt, and a step from potential near-destitute I cannot stop looking for hustles. And I cannot relax. I'd rather work a party dealing than go to one and socialize. I have to be building or doing something. I have a worm bin in my living room to try to make compost. Pintrest has me planning a trellis garden for next year. Lump watching football? No more!

Quote:
Lol, and I'm a metal guy. I do love wood, but there's something about not being able to mess up that just fits me (obv) lol. If you mess up wood, you have kindling. Mess up metal and you can just rivet and weld and bend and pound it back to where you need it. That works for me =)

If I could sell that slab table I made for a few hundo, should be no reason you couldn't sell a good one for a grand. Somebody will want more than the particle board and laminate garbage in all the stores. EB shared some good sanding and staining tips. Maybe hit him up.

Metal/wood, all good. You still may have me making the bottle tree for the Buffalo Yuppie market next spring. Did you post on the slab table and did EB on the staining? I don't remember them. I've been looking at AMZN and EBAY on the tables. One listed $800+$349 shipping. I am watching some and could probably drag it to UPS/FedEx to ship.

I do need ideas how to rig a perfectly flat surface on an uneven garage floor to do it, so ideas welcome. I can NOT fit a flat 4x8 sheet in my SUV to just lay that.
The President is a fink.
November 8th, 2015 at 8:19:23 AM permalink
Face
I did the table in the DIY thread, though the staining convo might have been by PM. But as a guy that dealt in antiques, I bet he knows a thing or two. I personally sold my table raw for the customer to stain to suit. You'd want to do better than that ;)

As for the flat surface, I never did suss that out. I used my basement floor, and come to find out, it was uneven as hell. If I was gonna churn out a number of tables, I'd take the time to fashion a jig of some sort. As it was, I just spent 10hrs sanding the unevenness out of it =p
Page 14 of 16« First<111213141516>