I Quit My Job

August 17th, 2014 at 10:36:53 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Evenbob
All they care about is his 12 years of flying in 4 different aircraft, his rank, and his record.
Airlines want pilots with HOURS, preferably in large cargo plane rather than a jet fighter so its all directly transferable skills. Degrees are assumed, rank is noted as being either stellar promotions or lagging too far behind, in between they don't much care.

Well inspector? I recall a silo inspector during the defense spending era. He got in when they were desperate and rode a salary escalator upwards. Couldn't possibly qualify for the tests they imposed on later hires.

One sweet young thing wanted to be a Navy diver but a knee injury when she was 16 prevented that so she shifted to a degree in marine engineering. The main thing is she loves the water.

One woman liked the outdoors, encountered her first murder victim at age fourteen and decided federal law enforcement as a Game Warden would suit her just fine. It did. Between state and federal service and lots of undercover work she had a very satisfying career.

One woman has two graduate degrees and makes only about 20 grand a year as a science writer. Some would feel sorry for her having all her worldly possessions in a car and a tear drop trailer, but she has her mountains to climb, her two dogs are with her and she loves every minute of it

Go for your values. Weird things happen in the job market. When Three Mile Island took place, one editor asked which of his reporters had seen the new movie, China Syndrome, and sent them as the only 'experts' he had. And long ago, the Canadian air force flew Farley Mowat out to the arctic wilds to live with a pack of wolves on the theory that he had to be on some secret military mission and they had better not ask questions.
October 10th, 2014 at 7:32:03 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Still looking for a job?

Saw a news bit on "Task Rabbit".

Any kind of job based on what you know how to do matched up with people who need it done.

https://www.taskrabbit.com/become-a-tasker
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 10th, 2014 at 8:03:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
Still looking for a job?

Saw a news bit on "Task Rabbit".

Any kind of job based on what you know how to do matched up with people who need it done.

https://www.taskrabbit.com/become-a-tasker

The ads are 20 somethings grinning at
each other for the $9 an hour part
time jobs they just nailed.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 10th, 2014 at 8:19:53 PM permalink
rxwine
The ads are 20 somethings grinning at
each other for the $9 an hour part
time jobs they just nailed.

So...?

Looks like the rates vary. Where does it say $9?

Quote:
Transparent hourly prices

Once you post a task, you see hourly rates for the Taskers who are most qualified for your job. A minimum payment of one hour is required per task.

Secure, cash-free payments

The entire payment process (including reimbursements) is handled securely online after a task is complete. There's no need for cash to change hands
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 10th, 2014 at 8:30:10 PM permalink
rxwine
Heck, based on what I see are the hourly prices of auto mechanics, Face could steal work from them for a few dollars an hour less and make out like a bandit.

It's more than $9 an hour. If you find a mechanic at those prices let me know, I'm getting ripped off.

But since he has a lot of all-purpose skills, it might interest him. (might not). Just a suggestion.
October 10th, 2014 at 9:38:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
My mechanic charges $75 an hour. And that's
cheap. He charged me $160 last year for pads
and rotors on my Saturn, the cheapest I could
find in town was $250. Most wanted over $300.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 10th, 2014 at 9:42:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: rxwine
So...?

Looks like the rates vary. Where does it say $9?

I'm cynical about jobs, I haven't had a job
working a wage for somebody else in 42
years. I've been self employed and still am.
It's the only way, if you can do it.
October 10th, 2014 at 11:04:50 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Task rabbit? Lol, funny name, but I'll definitely check it out.

On the mechanic side, it was something I've thought about. There's a shop just down the street from my hockey rink that was hiring. $20-$25p/hr based on experience. All they were asking for was an ASE certification (2yrs exp and a test) and knowledge of GM products. I was wondering how I could spin my previous shop experience with building my car and hoping to work towards ASE, and 4 days later did my shoulder. That's put a damper on a few things, including a construction gig I had all but lined up.

$20-$25 would find me quite comfortable indeed.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 11th, 2014 at 12:18:30 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Face

I was wondering how I could spin.

Those places don't usually pay 25 an
hour for spin, but for a rock solid
resume. Backyard mechanics need not
apply.
October 11th, 2014 at 1:08:11 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Those places don't usually pay 25 an
hour for spin, but for a rock solid
resume.

No, indeed. But getting the job at half that would do as I worked toward it.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.