Food stamps=lobster & steak

November 2nd, 2012 at 5:46:02 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
If only I could live this type of lifestyle. Lobster & Steak Article

November 2nd, 2012 at 5:50:12 PM permalink
FarFromVegas
Threads: 3
The article says he sold the food for cash, so it's not like he was eating like a king. He was...entrepreneurial.
This space for rent
November 2nd, 2012 at 5:55:10 PM permalink
rdw4potus
Threads: 10
This or something like it happened allllll the time when I was a grocery store manager. Most frequently, people would buy something (not this extreme) with food stamps, "lose" the receipt, and return the item for store credit. Then they'd use the credit for booze or smokes.
I'm not wearing any pants, film at 11
November 2nd, 2012 at 6:02:40 PM permalink
FarFromVegas
Quote: rdw4potus
This or something like it happened allllll the time when I was a grocery store manager. Most frequently, people would buy something (not this extreme) with food stamps, "lose" the receipt, and return the item for store credit. Then they'd use the credit for booze or smokes.

So it was like playing Supermarket Sweep, only for real, huh?
This space for rent
November 2nd, 2012 at 6:05:07 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23

Our policy on FS transactions was, "No receipt, no return." We really weren't terribly concerned about losing that person's business.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 2nd, 2012 at 6:07:55 PM permalink
rdw4potus
Quote: Mission146
Our policy on FS transactions was, "No receipt, no return." We really weren't terribly concerned about losing that person's business.

But isn't that exactly why the receipt is "lost?" That's the only way (other than memory) to know the method of purchase.
November 2nd, 2012 at 6:16:22 PM permalink
FarFromVegas
But isn't that exactly why the receipt is "lost?" That's the only way (other than memory) to know the method of purchase.

Sounds like their policy was 'too bad, so sad' with no receipt. No store credit or anything. I guess that meant things had to be resold on the outside, or they'd find a store more like yours to use in the future.
This space for rent
November 2nd, 2012 at 6:22:23 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator

You would be surprised as to how many people honestly answer the, "What was your method of payment," when it is asked. Those who were at least smart enough to say, "Cash," got the store credit.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 2nd, 2012 at 6:22:24 PM permalink
rdw4potus
Quote: FarFromVegas
Sounds like their policy was 'too bad, so sad' with no receipt. No store credit or anything. I guess that meant things had to be resold on the outside, or they'd find a store more like yours to use in the future.

The best was the gang of retired guys who made a game out of buying items on sale at one store and returning them to another store at full price. The shtick was always the same "Oh man, oh man. I just bought this and now the wife says it's the wrong one. I'm such an idiot. Wrong item and now I can't find the receipt. Please let me return it so she doesn't kill me."
November 2nd, 2012 at 6:42:41 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I think the biggest heist that was (almost) pulled off at our store was as follows:

We would often have people come in and get craploads of meat for steak frys or charity grill-outs and things of that nature. In any event, to make it easy for them, the meat department would make a tag for each item, but then they would write down the amount of the tag and add them all together when they were done. After this happened, they would take a PLU that existed onlyy for that purpose, change the price associated with the PLU to x (the total) per pound and then place the one-pound weight on the scale and ring it up.

In effect, if the total was $1,371.22, then they would make the price-per-pound $1,371.22 and put the one-pound weight on the scale, etc.

What happened was some guy who did this charity type stuff a few times before came into the store, and he went through (VERY) shortly after the meat department had closed, and started removing stickers off of items. After he was done with this, he parked his cart in the meat department's prep area (seperate room, but push-door that anyone could go through) and then he went around the store and got a few other items. He paid for the items, got his receipt, and then he went back with those bags of items and stacked them on top of the meat. He walked out of the store.

I wasn't there that day until later, but the bagger that caught him, (and got $50 for his efforts, rare act of generosity from the owner) basically just asked to see his receipt for the meat purchase. The guy said he threw the receipt away and always does since he is personally donating the meat. The bagger thought that was strange, and even though I don't know how he kenw what meat department's procedure was, he noticed that all of the packs of meat had the tags taken off...he reasoned that if it was for a charity thing, then the tags never would have been on the individual packages in the first place. (True!)

Anyway, he grabs the guy's cart and starts walking back into the store. The guy follows him, totally busted, but stupid enough to want to argue the point with the office!!! He should have hauled ass and maybe we would have let the whole thing go, but probably not. Anyway, he walks back in to yell about this, and we were actually rolling w/o a floor manager that evening because the guy had called off and they attempted my cell ONCE and didn't leave a message. I had no signal at the time (I assume) so no record of the call.

They decide to call me at home for what to do because they couldn't get ahold of anyone higher. I said, "Well, it's 6:30, no cashiers have left since 5:00 and none will be leaving until 7:00, so go ask them if any of them had a big meat order and I am on the way."

Of course, no cashiers had such an order. I got there about ten minutes later and started off by apologizing profusely to this loyal customer who patronizes us for charity events. I took the cart and explained that I had to get it all re-weighed to figure out the total price in order to get him a receipt because he needed a receipt. (He believed all this!) I went back and started watching the camera for the meat section starting at 5:00 on FF and was on the phone with the police about three minutes later.

Bye-bye!!!

Unfortunately, we were not allowed to re-sell meat because it had left the inside of the store. I will say (and only because the store is now closed and I am not identifying it by name, anyway) that the meat was most assuredly resold!