Threads: 146
Why do people on game shows always say
they just know they're deceased mom/grandma/
husband/you pick one, is watching and is proud
of them? Do they really believe dead people
watch everything they do and judge them all
the time? That's freaking scary. It would never
in a hundred years occur to me to say that,
let alone think it. Yet I hear it constantly.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 20th, 2014 at 8:17:37 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Watch a lot of game shows, do ya?
July 20th, 2014 at 8:31:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Only on Food Network, they're more cooking
contests than game shows. But they say it
on all those types of shows, I've heard it
all my life. You also see it in TV shows and
movies. I don't recall ever hearing a person
say it in real life, not once. They think grandma
is looking down on them? Really? Do you
know how spooky and selfish that sounds?
There's an afterlife and all poor granny has
to do is watch your boring existence all day?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 20th, 2014 at 9:31:12 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
They do it in sports all the time. Guy scores a touchdown and he did it for his dear old ma. Points towards the sky and says "thank you Lord" like the lord had anything to do with it. lol Another guy survives heart surgery, and thanks God that he pulled through, like the surgeon had nothing to do with it. The surgeon should say "thanks buddy, but I didn't see anyone else holding that scalpel".
July 21st, 2014 at 4:33:51 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Agreed. Logically sticking around on earth would be the last thing a soul would do anyways.
July 21st, 2014 at 7:04:43 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Quote: zippyboy
They do it in sports all the time. Guy scores a touchdown and he did it for his dear old ma. Points towards the sky and says "thank you Lord" like the lord had anything to do with it. lol Another guy survives heart surgery, and thanks God that he pulled through, like the surgeon had nothing to do with it. The surgeon should say "thanks buddy, but I didn't see anyone else holding that scalpel".

When it comes to personal acts (that you did) and thanking the Lord, it is probably because the person spent a journey following God and that his end result (the act) is a result of his/her relationship with God.

Thanking God for surgery is also a personal act. Of course the surgeons and hospital workers have alot to do with it, but your own personal survival might be due to your belief, faith, and hope in a higher power.

It doesn't prove that the higher power exists, but it proves that the belief does. A great deal of people with strong beliefs will either credit God for putting them on a different path "God meant this to be" -- or blame the Devil when bad things happen to them.
July 21st, 2014 at 8:44:08 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: boymimbo
When it comes to personal acts (that you did) and thanking the Lord, it is probably because the person spent a journey following God and that his end result (the act) is a result of his/her relationship with God.

Thanking God for surgery is also a personal act. Of course the surgeons and hospital workers have alot to do with it, but your own personal survival might be due to your belief, faith, and hope in a higher power.

See, we can agree on some things.

Quote:
It doesn't prove that the higher power exists, but it proves that the belief does. A great deal of people with strong beliefs will either credit God for putting them on a different path "God meant this to be" -- or blame the Devil when bad things happen to them.

Belief in a higher power is anthropological. For some it is religion, some it is "mother earth" and some it is an undefined force of nature.

Someone who believes there is nothing but themselves would be called a sociopath, so clearly there is a healthy reason to believe something is greater than you.
The President is a fink.
July 21st, 2014 at 1:11:15 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: AZDuffman
Someone who believes there is nothing but themselves would be called a sociopath, so clearly there is a healthy reason to believe something is greater than you.

Satanist or Jihadist? Jim Jones. Witchcraft? Amway?

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 22nd, 2014 at 7:33:25 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Belief in a Great Spirit or Charlie Brown and his belief in the Great Pumpkin are similar. Soldiers are taught self reliance and evasive tactics but encouraged to "trust to their luck" and go forward believing in the Great Pumpkin or in the power of numbers and the wisdom of zig zagging. Soldiers are not taught to be atheists but they might as well be.
December 5th, 2014 at 6:21:12 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
"Terapined" is driving me insane.

I know he likes the Terrapins (pronounced "terra" as in Earth and "pins" as in bowling); I assume this is the source of his moniker. But "terrapin" is a noun.

The addition of the "-ed" looks like he turned it into a verb. That's fine. I love turning nouns into verbs. But if one were to do so, doesn't proper english decree that it should be spelled "terrapinned?

And what happened to the other "r"? And is it still pronounced like "pins"? It looks like it changed to "pined", as in "he pined for attention".

Help me, terapined. It's been 5 days and I can't keep obsessing over this ><
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
Page 1 of 211234>Last »