Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Face
"Terapined" is driving me insane.
Stewed?
December 5th, 2014 at 8:37:45 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Science more and more becomes religious with their ideas. Google Ten reasons our universe might actually be virtual reality. Turns out all the nose picking trolls might be wrong after all and it's not possible to figure out the universe by the age of 14.
December 5th, 2014 at 9:00:48 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Fleastiff
Stewed?

Bah.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 5th, 2014 at 9:25:16 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
He linked to another forum a while ago where his name had a capital E at the end, suggesting his name is Ed Terapin. That person lives in Albuquerque NM. Just chill, you guys.
December 5th, 2014 at 9:27:58 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I grew up a huge Maryland Terrapins fan in Maryland.
My 1st Grateful Dead show, Thanksgiving 78, I heard my favorite song, Terrapin Station
First name is Ed
Some friends in Florida call me Terrapin instead.
The 1st board I ever posted on was prodigy back in the ancient days of the internet.
It was a Grateful Dead forum I posted on. Posted show reviews I attended.
When I signed up, many variations of Terrapin were taken already including Terrapined because Terrapin Station is a popular song.
I then miss spelled Terrapin and added ed, terapined, not taken, took it and it became my handle ever since on mutiple boards throughout the years.
Miss spelled handles are always availible, saves frustration . I am a terrible speller anyway lol
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 5th, 2014 at 11:44:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: terapined

Miss spelled handles are always availible, saves frustration . I am a terrible speller anyway lol

No kidding. (misspelled)
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 6th, 2014 at 2:19:50 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: zippyboy
Just chill, you guys.

I'm not amped, and I trust terapined knows I wasn't ragging on him. But like Wiz, I get things into my head that cause me to obsess. Wiz might post a stumper like "1 - 2 - 4 - 7 - eleventeen - purple - rhododendron - ______. What the next number in the series?" He's a math guy, that's what gets him going. I'm a literature connoisseur; stuff like "terapined" is what gets my goat.

I've honestly been thinking about this since well before his self imposed suspension. Being a grammar Nazi, I notice a ton of things. Pacomartin just recently seems to be having an issue with sound-alikes. Substituting "here" for "hear", for example. That's not a mystery to me, it's a common mistake. Wiz's issue is he either omits or becomes redundant. His reports often have a word missing or a phrase written twice. As his reports are long, it's easy for me to imagine him taking a pause to think or because of distraction, which results in an error. No mystery. Nareed is a champion transposer. The number of her "and"s that come out as "adn" are nearly infinite. Simple, she types quickly. Common typing issue, no mystery.

"Terapined" had no easy answer. Had I known his name was Ed, or had he written it "TerapinEd", I'd likely have figured it out. But since he didn't, my brain demanded I figure it out. Misspelling? Turned noun into verb? If he meant to have it pronounced as "pinned", what does it mean? What if it really was "pined", what does that mean?

I've been thinking of this for a year. Just recently, it's become daily. I just had to know.

Quote: terapined
I grew up a huge Maryland Terrapins fan in Maryland.
My 1st Grateful Dead show, Thanksgiving 78, I heard my favorite song, Terrapin Station
First name is Ed
Some friends in Florida call me Terrapin instead.
The 1st board I ever posted on was prodigy back in the ancient days of the internet.
It was a Grateful Dead forum I posted on. Posted show reviews I attended.
When I signed up, many variations of Terrapin were taken already including Terrapined because Terrapin Station is a popular song.
I then miss spelled Terrapin and added ed, terapined, not taken, took it and it became my handle ever since on mutiple boards throughout the years.

Thanks for playing along =)

*relieved sigh*
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 18th, 2016 at 2:17:26 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 153
The weather advisory says "till 12 PM" - why not say "12 noon" just like ordinary people?

It makes me go through this thing of "that's odd, till midnight, NO, wait, 12 AM is midnight, so 12 PM is noon!"

It's one of those pet peeves that gets thrown back in your face: "if you weren't such a dunderhead you wouldn't be thinking midnight for "AM" in the first place!" Even though PM = evening, AM = morning for our ordinary lives
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 18th, 2016 at 5:20:57 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: odiousgambit
The weather advisory says "till 12 PM" - why not say "12 noon" just like ordinary people?

It makes me go through this thing of "that's odd, till midnight, NO, wait, 12 AM is midnight, so 12 PM is noon!"

It's one of those pet peeves that gets thrown back in your face: "if you weren't such a dunderhead you wouldn't be thinking midnight for "AM" in the first place!" Even though PM = evening, AM = morning for our ordinary lives

If we have an emergency case that is starting coincidentally at midnight, we usually will put either 23:59, or 00:01, just so everyone also agrees on the date. If you put 24:00 or 00:00 it confuses a lot of people.
December 18th, 2016 at 5:30:01 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
Quote: odiousgambit

If we have an emergency case that is starting coincidentally at midnight, we usually will put either 23:59, or 00:01, just so everyone also agrees on the date. If you put 24:00 or 00:00 it confuses a lot of people.

Big union contracts did and I assume still do the :01 thing for the same reason.

But as to the advisory, it is probably a template with AM/PM and someone fills in the numbers is my guess.
The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 21<12345>Last »