Pet Peeves

January 19th, 2022 at 12:31:16 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee
Strolling down memory lane, observing all the now shuttered, defunct and failed former commonly-seen restaurants: hello, Ho Jo.

Once ubiquitous along our highways, there is now only one Howard Johnson's restaurant left, in Lake George, NY.

Ah...decent ice cream, hot dogs and clam strips, yum!

Howard Johnson's eventually became a place you stopped because you had to, not because you wanted to. We stopped on the PA Turnpike at one in the 1970s when they had it locked up tollgate to tollgate. My dad was so mad at the service we walked out.
The President is a fink.
January 19th, 2022 at 12:44:43 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
As a franchise there was certainly variability in the quality of service and product.
January 19th, 2022 at 12:56:16 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee
As a franchise there was certainly variability in the quality of service and product.

They were known for nickel and diming their franchisees to the point they bought product outside the commissary system.
The President is a fink.
January 19th, 2022 at 12:59:14 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
With only memory of them, eventually no one will get the Howard Johnson reference in Blazing Saddles.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 20th, 2022 at 7:12:16 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine
With only memory of them, eventually no one will get the Howard Johnson reference in Blazing Saddles.

The only memory I have of HoJo's was as a kid I would get a free clam strip basket on my birthday. Come to think of it, I don't know if I have even had clam strips in the last 30 years.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 20th, 2022 at 9:23:06 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: DRich
The only memory I have of HoJo's was as a kid I would get a free clam strip basket on my birthday. Come to think of it, I don't know if I have even had clam strips in the last 30 years.

Waterfront restaurant on Lake Sumter in the Villages has GREAT clam strip basket. Lighthouse Point Bar and Grille. It was on an up stock market day and I thus upgraded to a 'bellies only' version. Still good, but not sure it was worth double the price.
February 13th, 2022 at 11:44:06 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Man I hate when I randomly misplace a click on my browser and change how it's functioning, but have no idea how to fix it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 13th, 2022 at 12:35:59 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Face
I know he likes the Terrapins (pronounced "terra" as in Earth and "pins" as in bowling); I assume this is the source of his moniker. But "terrapin" is a noun.

The Maryland Terrapins consist of 19 men's and women's varsity intercollegiate athletic teams that represent the University of Maryland, College Park in NCAA Division I competition. The English word terrapin is a corruption of a Algonquian word for turtle and is not really a descendant of the Latin word "terra" (although that may have influenced the spelling).

The suffix -‐ ed serves to change verbs from present tense to past tense. It is not normally used in "verbing".

Steven Pinker, (The Language Instinct. Morrow, 1994) estimates that about a fifth of all English verbs were originally nouns.

By turning it into a verb, I assume the implication is that he has become turtle-like in some fashion.
February 14th, 2022 at 10:57:54 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Pacomartin
The Maryland Terrapins consist of 19 men's and women's varsity intercollegiate athletic teams that represent the University of Maryland, College Park in NCAA Division I competition. The English word terrapin is a corruption of a Algonquian word for turtle and is not really a descendant of the Latin word "terra" (although that may have influenced the spelling).

The suffix -‐ ed serves to change verbs from present tense to past tense. It is not normally used in "verbing".

Steven Pinker, (The Language Instinct. Morrow, 1994) estimates that about a fifth of all English verbs were originally nouns.

By turning it into a verb, I assume the implication is that he has become turtle-like in some fashion.

Interesting that Terapined hasn’t responded to clarify. Apparently y’all haven’t noticed that SOOPOO met him IRL and calls him Ed.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
February 14th, 2022 at 11:26:04 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: JimRockford
Interesting that Terapined hasn’t responded to clarify. Apparently y’all haven’t noticed that SOOPOO met him IRL and calls him Ed.

No need to respond
Paco does an excellent job
I'm a huge fan of the Grateful Deads "Terrapin Station"
That's all

It would be Terrapined but on the old Prodigy network it was taken. Terapined was not. I used to write reviews of Grateful Dead concerts on Prodigy.
I Stuck with it ever since on multiple boards. Yes I played golf with Soopoo and my name is Ed. I've met several members personally including the Wizard and Mission
I also follow the MD Terrapins in this order, Women's basketball, Men's Basketball, football. The Women are on ESPN 2 tonight.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"