Pet Peeves

February 25th, 2022 at 9:19:52 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: DRich
I miss Frank Burns. He was definitely the best character on that show, I still record MASH and watch it on Mondays.

https://www.duchyoflancaster.co.uk/about-the-duchy/our-people/duke-chancellor-and-the-officers/
The Queen is still called the Duke of Lancaster

-------------------------------------------------
Old English has not existed for over 1000 years. But I think in all cases our pronouns come from Old English. Granted society was much different 1000 years.

Gender-neutral pronouns are defined by the LGBT Resource Centre as providing an identity for a singular person who does not identify as he/him or she/her.

"They" and "them" were still being used by literary authors to describe people in the 17th Century too - including by Jane Austin in her 1813 novel Pride and Prejudice. But starting from the 1700s people started using male pronouns when describing someone of a non-specific gender in writing.

In Old English man, mann meant "human being, person (male or female)".

The Old English word for "she" was heo, hio, however by 1200s the pronunciation of this had converged by phonetic evolution with he "he," which apparently led to the fem. demonstrative pronoun being used in place of the pronoun.

Modern day Demonstrative Pronouns are this that, these and those . A demonstrative pronoun distinguishes its antecedent from similar things. So we could talk about "those demonstrators" as opposed to "the demonstrators" which might be vague.
February 26th, 2022 at 4:16:19 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
WTF
If you are going to name your transportation system after a keneau Reeves movie
How about Speed
It's instead called "The One"
Lol

https://patch.com/virginia/greateralexandria/richmond-highway-bus-rapid-transit-branding-announced
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 28th, 2022 at 7:56:28 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Pacomartin
https://www.duchyoflancaster.co.uk/about-the-duchy/our-people/duke-chancellor-and-the-officers/
The Queen is still called the Duke of Lancaster

-------------------------------------------------
Old English has not existed for over 1000 years. But I think in all cases our pronouns come from Old English. Granted society was much different 1000 years.

Gender-neutral pronouns are defined by the LGBT Resource Centre as providing an identity for a singular person who does not identify as he/him or she/her.

"They" and "them" were still being used by literary authors to describe people in the 17th Century too - including by Jane Austin in her 1813 novel Pride and Prejudice. But starting from the 1700s people started using male pronouns when describing someone of a non-specific gender in writing.

In Old English man, mann meant "human being, person (male or female)".

The Old English word for "she" was heo, hio, however by 1200s the pronunciation of this had converged by phonetic evolution with he "he," which apparently led to the fem. demonstrative pronoun being used in place of the pronoun.
'Ho' today derives from that [joke]

Quote:
Modern day Demonstrative Pronouns are this that, these and those . A demonstrative pronoun distinguishes its antecedent from similar things. So we could talk about "those demonstrators" as opposed to "the demonstrators" which might be vague.
I'm still struck by how all these concerns about pronouns involve the third person usage. If I do not need to write about a person with special pronouns, or talk about them when not present, it's not my problem. I'm going with that.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 10th, 2022 at 6:57:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
I'm on a couple other sites where they give out status upgrades as you contribute more posts. Today after being notified of an upgrade on this one site, I had a congratulations in my private messages with a link to a similar site. "Congratulations you're getting admission to ............ because of your upgrade"

So, I check with the admin and find out this isn't approved by the site, but someone trying to leech off the site I'm on. I guess it was warned about in the site welcome, but I read very little of that.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 11th, 2022 at 9:35:38 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Duplicate
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 23rd, 2023 at 7:20:02 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Minor peeve.

Universal placement of model numbers specific to type of product. OTOH if the product is missing the surface where all other like it have such ID an alternate place may be used. (for instance a product that has a front like a blade sloping upward would have no front to put a model number on)

I guess it looks more pleasing to just put the name of product or company on the front, but it would be more useful to have the model number right after it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 27th, 2023 at 5:37:11 AM permalink
odiousgambit
major peeve

you use the search function for Amazon and it pulls up items that do not match the description, mingled in with items that do

happened again today. Almost ordered the wrong thing, caught it in time. I have ordered the wrong thing in the past, thankfully it wasn't important

I really hate this problem
May 27th, 2023 at 6:41:09 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: odiousgambit
major peeve

you use the search function for Amazon and it pulls up items that do not match the description, mingled in with items that do

happened again today. Almost ordered the wrong thing, caught it in time. I have ordered the wrong thing in the past, thankfully it wasn't important

I really hate this problem

Maybe just user error. My guess is that your search criteria is not well defined.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 27th, 2023 at 7:53:45 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: DRich
Maybe just user error. My guess is that your search criteria is not well defined.
no, that is not the problem

I'm really surprised you haven't found this happening, assuming you order very much from Amazon

this morning ordered cr2025 3v lithium batteries and put exactly that in the description. In what they showed me to buy, some were cr2032. I was so mad I almost ordered them that I swallowed the old battery. just kidding
May 27th, 2023 at 7:59:39 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Sounds like it could be a sorting bug.