Threads: 14
Quote: Evenbob
My new debit card has a chip so
it can be inserted and not swiped.
Some places insist you insert it and
it takes twice as long to process a
checkout then the swiping did. Whose
bright fricking idea was this..

Glad to see you are catching up to the rest of the world EB. Canada and Europe have had chipped debit cards for about 10 years. They are no slower here than a swiped card was, what is probably causing it is the readers and networks are not fully set up for the chips.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 6th, 2017 at 3:32:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: kenarman
. Canada and Europe have had chipped debit cards for about 10 years. .

We've had them for a long time, just
I haven't gotten a new debit card
in 5 years.

"Even when shoppers do everything right the first time, the transaction can still take as long as 15 seconds to complete, as opposed to merely a second or two when using the card’s magnetic stripe. Part of the reason for this is that the chips are sending encrypted information, which takes much longer than the unencrypted data from the magnetic stripes"

You just think it's faster in EU, it's not.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 10th, 2019 at 12:27:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
I hate traveling. I loathe it, I hate every
aspect of it. Driving, flying, any of it.
It's just one (expensive) inconvenience
after another.

I never have a good time, no matter where
I go. I hate hotel rooms, never sleep well.
I absolutely abhor restaurants, the food
is always bad by my standards. Over
cooked, bland, devoid of any flavor.
I'm always tired, cranky, short tempered.
I want to cook my own food, sleep in my
own bed, and not be bothered by anything.

My wife LOVES traveling, all women do. Why?
She seems to be in a bad mood half the
time, sleeps a lot in the passenger seat while
I do all the driving, and complains a lot.
Wherever we go it's never worth the trip
getting there. I'd rather watch a docu on
Youtube than actually go there. My theory is
women like the IDEA of travelling, it always
sounds good, it's an adventure. When the
reality is, it's a never ending pain in the ass.
That's why people are always sooooooooo
relieved to get home.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 10th, 2019 at 1:11:52 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
I hate traveling. I loathe it, I hate every
aspect of it. Driving, flying, any of it.
It's just one (expensive) inconvenience
after another.

I never have a good time, no matter where
I go. I hate hotel rooms, never sleep well.
I absolutely abhor restaurants, the food
is always bad by my standards. Over
cooked, bland, devoid of any flavor.
I'm always tired, cranky, short tempered.
I want to cook my own food, sleep in my
own bed, and not be bothered by anything.

My wife LOVES traveling, all women do. Why?
She seems to be in a bad mood half the
time, sleeps a lot in the passenger seat while
I do all the driving, and complains a lot.
Wherever we go it's never worth the trip
getting there. I'd rather watch a docu on
Youtube than actually go there. My theory is
women like the IDEA of travelling, it always
sounds good, it's an adventure. When the
reality is, it's a never ending pain in the ass.
That's why people are always sooooooooo
relieved to get home.

Call me mixed. I love aimless convertible driving. I love the trip, seeing things I may never see again. OTOH, I do not like going to crowded places. No use for it. Disney? Fugheddabaddit. I don't even want to go to the big resorts in Vegas.
The President is a fink.
November 10th, 2019 at 1:15:06 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Here is a different one. Why do they only have a couple of the little shopping carts at the grocery store or WMT? I do get that they want to have people drop more stuff in the bigger cart, but the small ones are popular. The last 5+ times I have been putting one away someone says, "I'll take that!"
The President is a fink.
November 10th, 2019 at 2:03:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: AZDuffman
Call me mixed. I love aimless convertible driving. I love the trip, seeing things I may never see again. OTOH, I do not like going to crowded places. No use for it. Disney? Fugheddabaddit. I don't even want to go to the big resorts in Vegas.

I don't mind going for a few
hour drive, that's not traveling
to me. It doesn't involve hotels
and eating out and crowds. I
always look at people in
restaurants and marvel that they
want to be here, this is good food
to them. I only eat out when
there is no other choice, like
my wife's bday.

I never have a good time in Vegas,
I don't think I ever have. I might
have a good few hours here and
there, but I'm usually bored to
death and sick of walking.
November 10th, 2019 at 2:05:31 PM permalink
Evenbob
Here is a different one. Why do they only have a couple of the little shopping carts at the grocery store or WMT?

I've been bitching about that for
years. My regular store finally
has more small than big, but
Walmart has never had any. It
tiring pushing a big cart, they
weigh about 75 pounds.
November 10th, 2019 at 4:11:51 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Here is a different one. Why do they only have a couple of the little shopping carts at the grocery store or WMT? I do get that they want to have people drop more stuff in the bigger cart, but the small ones are popular. The last 5+ times I have been putting one away someone says, "I'll take that!"
I want the small carts. I was doing a personal study on what happened to the small carts at the local Safeway store. A couple things occurred to me or seemed to? Last year when the snowbirds arrived [it is full on season now, wait until after xmas] it is near impossible to get one of the small carts. Snowbirds are generally old people that get smaller amounts.

The next thing I noticed is, the few carts left were out the furthest from the door, there is some reasoning to be deduced there.

After SB season, there were fewer carts then before. I talked with the Safeway manager and asked where were the small carts? His answer was dunno, we bought 18 3 months ago and we are down to less than 12. One thing that happens here is, it is the epicenter for spring break, college students come from all points of the compass to enjoy the warm weather and lake, break lasts an entire month. [come watch the thong competition if interested] Many of them only make a beer run up to 'the store' and return to the lake. Some of the small carts get left at the lake.

I would think that people that are living on the street, with all their worldly possession in a grocery cart would mostly have large carts?

It also occurred to me that after spring break, the carts were left down at the lake. After snobird season, the small carts left town with the motorhomes. I think many of them ended up in some large barns in Wisconsin rolling around in tool shops? Talked with the manager, and he let out a big unh hunh.

Also, the costs of everything rising, our closest grocery store bought new carts recently as the old chrome ones were wearing out. Little by little I watched as there were fewer and fewer of the chrome carts and a higher percentage of the new blue carts. What I notice right away when the new carts arrived was, they had a lot cheaper wheels/bearings on them, and the frame was lighter so they tweaked. Often only 3 wheels tough the ground, and the bearings give out rapidly so they squeak and squawk, whereas the few old chromers just rolled along like an old caddy. my 02

I struggle with the full sized carts, especially when only 3 wheels touch. I try to load them properly right off and get all 4 wheels down. Do you notice the newer carts with cheap bearings are hard to steer and constantly pull one way?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 10th, 2019 at 4:25:54 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: petroglyph
I want the small carts. I was doing a personal study on what happened to the small carts at the local Safeway store. A couple things occurred to me or seemed to? Last year when the snowbirds arrived [it is full on season now, wait until after xmas] it is near impossible to get one of the small carts. Snowbirds are generally old people that get smaller amounts.

The next thing I noticed is, the few carts left were out the furthest from the door, there is some reasoning to be deduced there.

After SB season, there were fewer carts then before. I talked with the Safeway manager and asked where were the small carts? His answer was dunno, we bought 18 3 months ago and we are down to less than 12. One thing that happens here is, it is the epicenter for spring break, college students come from all points of the compass to enjoy the warm weather and lake, break lasts an entire month. [come watch the thong competition if interested] Many of them only make a beer run up to 'the store' and return to the lake. Some of the small carts get left at the lake.

I would think that people that are living on the street, with all their worldly possession in a grocery cart would mostly have large carts?

It also occurred to me that after spring break, the carts were left down at the lake. After snobird season, the small carts left town with the motorhomes. I think many of them ended up in some large barns in Wisconsin rolling around in tool shops? Talked with the manager, and he let out a big unh hunh.

Also, the costs of everything rising, our closest grocery store bought new carts recently as the old chrome ones were wearing out. Little by little I watched as there were fewer and fewer of the chrome carts and a higher percentage of the new blue carts. What I notice right away when the new carts arrived was, they had a lot cheaper wheels/bearings on them, and the frame was lighter so they tweaked. Often only 3 wheels tough the ground, and the bearings give out rapidly so they squeak and squawk, whereas the few old chromers just rolled along like an old caddy. my 02

I struggle with the full sized carts, especially when only 3 wheels touch. I try to load them properly right off and get all 4 wheels down. Do you notice the newer carts with cheap bearings are hard to steer and constantly pull one way?

Small carts are very handy, I agree, full-sized carts are too large for many shopping trips (though that is intentional, it is designed to encourage you to buy more).

However, where I live is the same issue, small carts appeal to homeless people and college students who want to so a pickup of stuff and walk off with it (no car and too lazy to carry bags) so they disappear from many stores very quickly. Same with shopping baskets (Walmart finally out a gps alarm on baskets here).

We managed to deal with this by passing an ordinance that requires stores to be resposible for keeping carts on their premise and fining them for carts that the City recovers on-premise, which resulted in much more stores installing security locks and trackers and security personnel to prevent people from walking off with carts. In my opinion the police should arrest homeless who walk off with carts (its blatant thievery), but this is a politically sensitive subject and there is no local political willpower to enact such policies.... But, yes small carts appeal to homeless and college kids to walk off with...
November 10th, 2019 at 4:55:20 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
More often than not I roll a cart into the store, that balances it in my mind because I usually don't return the cart to inside the store when I'm done with it.

I thought that street people preferred the larger carts, so as to store more belongings in? Any homeless here are mostly passing through.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW