Trans Catalina Trail

Page 1 of 212>
July 28th, 2014 at 9:02:29 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I just posted a blog entry on my Odds site about my journey on the Trans Catalina Trail.

Please give it a read. I welcome all comments and questions. My thanks to BBB for proofreading it.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 28th, 2014 at 11:45:25 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Alarming buffalo death facts, digest version:

Quote:
... buffalos are quite heavy...When these animals feel that they are in danger they attack head on...Most animals will keep away, humans on the other hand...Statistically ... buffalo are responsible for more human deaths ... than any other large animal.

(less alarming) Cape buffalos are quite heavy, weighing in at 1.5 tons and, stand tall at 1.7 meters high and approximately 2.8 meters long. When these animals feel that they are in danger they attack head on, using their extremely sharp horns. Most animals will keep away, humans on the other hand are the only predator that the Cape Buffalo will come across. Statistically Cape buffalo are responsible for more human deaths in Africa than any other large animal.

http://www.therichest.com/animals/top-10-animals-that-kill-humans/
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 28th, 2014 at 12:00:08 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Where were you when I needed you? Before posing for this photo with a wild buffalo.

July 28th, 2014 at 1:00:03 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Wizard
posing for this photo with a wild buffalo.

Exactly.

I couldn't find stats on people killed by bison. However, it provides a lot of footage at you-tube

the sweet spot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PNvTHOrTf_Y#t=44
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 28th, 2014 at 6:10:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Pretty funny when the old guy got
thrown in the air. Almost a Darwin
Award candidate.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 1st, 2014 at 7:30:59 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
A non-forum member corrected me saying that what you see in North America are bison, and buffalo are found in Asia and Africa only. How come none of you guys knew that?

See, this is why we need Paco.
August 1st, 2014 at 8:00:37 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

The question is if people are making the same mistake for 300 to 400 years, then when does it become truth?

It's like the point that you made that covet means to "desire something". It doesn't mean "to want to take something that belongs to someone else". By itself the word is neither good nor bad.

But you can't correct 400 year old mistakes. People have incorrectly been calling bison, buffalos since 1630 when there was about 25K people in British North America.

Quote: Use of "covet" in King James
BAD
Exodus 20:17 - Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

GOOD
1 Corinthians 12:31 - But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.
1 Corinthians 14:39 - Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.
August 1st, 2014 at 9:03:31 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
The question is if people are making the same mistake for 300 to 400 years, then when does it become truth?

Good question. We could ask the same thing in the thread about the proper use of the word "their."

I see that Dictionary.com says that one definition of buffalo is the North American bison.

Personally, I think that once enough people use the word a certain way for long enough, then that usage becomes acceptable. Just don't quote that to me in the SWD thread the next time I quote SpanishDict to Nareed.
August 1st, 2014 at 12:08:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I like what's considered affluence in the
Bible. A trophy wife, a slave, and the
beasts of burden. She has to be a young
attractive wife, nobody covets the other
kind.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 1st, 2014 at 12:34:12 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
A non-forum member corrected me saying that what you see in North America are bison, and buffalo are found in Asia and Africa only. How come none of you guys knew that?

I live in Buffalo. Those big hairy hyper cows are always "buffaloes". After you've corrected the 16,437th person, you eventually give up =p

Fun side note: "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo" is an actual proper, logical sentence. Oh, English. You so crazy =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
Page 1 of 212>