7 votes (35%)
2 votes (10%)
3 votes (15%)

20 members have voted

May 1st, 2017 at 12:46:19 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
Don't know if there was a more general thread on marijuana so, I'll stick this here.

"23 states allow medical marijuana to ease chronic pain and other conditions.
The researchers reviewed death certificates from all states between 1999 and 2010, when 13 states had legalized marijuana.
Since 2010, another 10 states and Washington, D.C., have adopted similar laws, the researchers said.
While overdose deaths have risen in all states, Bachhuber and his colleagues found that the annual average number of deaths caused by painkillers is nearly 25 percent less in states with medical marijuana laws.
"In absolute terms, states with a medical marijuana law had about 1,700 fewer opioid painkiller overdose deaths in 2010 than would be expected based on trends before the laws were passed," Bachhuber said.
States' overdose death rates decline an average 20 percent in the first year following the passage of a medical marijuana law, the researchers found. By the second year, overdose death rates on average decline 25 percent, and as much as 33 percent by five years after legalization of medical pot.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/news/20140825/fewer-painkiller-deaths-in-states-with-medical-marijuana-study

I am proof
Been reading a lot about opioids and the addictions and over doses
Why my big interest.
I was in the hospital for major emergency abdominal surgery recently and complained that I was still in pain regardless of getting Hydromorphone every 4 to 6 hours
They actually let me self medicate. Hooked me up to a Hydromorphone dispenser where I hit a button and get a small dose.
Locks me out for 6 min so cant OD. I was hitting that button every 6 min getting a very small dose.
Maybe it was psychological but it worked after a few hours no pain and just pressed the button as needed, few times an hour
Now home and they prescribed Oxycodone
I was taking prescribed dosage, pill every 6 hours. Don't like pain.
After a few days home, started taking less and less. Off it and still have plenty of pills.
Never experienced an opioid high and have absolutely no interest in one
I smoke pot, I nice buzz while recovering is the best way :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 1st, 2017 at 1:01:37 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: terapined

Now home and they prescribed Oxycodone
I was taking prescribed dosage, pill every 6 hours. Don't like pain.
After a few days home, started taking less and less. Off it and still have plenty of pills.
Never experienced an opioid high and have absolutely no interest in one

I've had back surgery twice and they gave me 100 Oxycodone pills afterward to deal with the pain. I hardly needed them after the surgery (BEFORE having back surgery is when you need pain pills!) so they just sit in my cupboard.

I've never experienced a high on them either. I think that's a good thing.

They can be handy to have around if I tweak my back or have some other kind of semi-major pain to deal with.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 1st, 2017 at 2:44:39 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: ams288
I've had back surgery twice and they gave me 100 Oxycodone pills afterward to deal with the pain. I hardly needed them after the surgery (BEFORE having back surgery is when you need pain pills!) so they just sit in my cupboard.

They can be handy to have around if I tweak my back or have some other kind of semi-major pain to deal with.
I believe when a person is in physical pain they tend to not get high/become addicted to pain meds.
May 1st, 2017 at 3:14:09 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: ams288

When I have tooth or kidney pain I occasionally get a slight cloudy feeling, which helps if you have ever had that kind of pain it is a phantom sometimes even after the pills. Otherwise I do not care much for it. Just want the relief.
The President is a fink.
May 1st, 2017 at 3:59:51 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I think, especially now as it's at the forefront of my being, that it ain't no one's business that you do what works for you.

Pain simply f#$%ing sucks, and everyone experiences it differently. And, surprisingly in that it's surprising, but different stuff works differently on different people.

We have a good sampling here. My preferred route is opiates. Why? Cuz they work in my body. My pain becomes manageable, I have no addiction traits for it, and the downsides of dependency and withdrawal are both things which are well within my power to control. Not only that, but I don't get no mellow haze or drifting in the clouds. I get a slight jitter buzz, like I imagine a non-coffee drinker like me would get if he had a cup, and coupled with the state of being pain-free, means I get productive as a mofo. As far as drugs go, I could not imagine one that fit me better. Does that make it "The" option that all must use henceforth?

It's just dumb. OG says he likes a little booze, terapined likes to burn one, I say let 'em. I can't booze, it makes me too tired and clumsy. Weed... it's better than booze but for me not a good vike supplement. I get sleepy. Lazy. Scattered of mind. And it does absolutely nothing for my pain; its success is in either little snippets of forgetting about my pain, or making me OK with sitting around doing nothing, as opposed to the strenuous task I had wanted. It's something, but it's not an answer for me.

I have my answer. You have yours. Maybe just let each other have them?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
Page 11 of 11« First<891011