5 votes (25%)
7 votes (35%)
2 votes (10%)
3 votes (15%)

20 members have voted

August 3rd, 2014 at 12:57:14 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
I believe there can be the small amount smoked to be on the fine line between being high and sober. Just one small breath, so it's not the drug but the drug user at fault.
August 3rd, 2014 at 1:44:55 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
The trouble with becoming a pot smoker, is he'll want to eat all the communion wafers.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 3rd, 2014 at 2:03:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Religious people crack me up. My wife's dad is
a Baptist minister. In the 40's he tore around
the back hills on a Harley, smoked and drank,
sowing his wild oats. He 'found' the lord and
became a preacher and forbid his kids to do
what he did. They didn't even have a TV because
it was evil. To this day none of his five offspring
have ever rebelled even the smallest amount.
One of them did get a divorce and it took 10
years for the family to speak to them again.

My point is, now priests want to smoke dope?
You do all that before you take up the priesthood,
not after. Resign and do what you like, then come
back to it if you want. Don't act like it's OK and
you're just going to 'experiment' while still a member
of the clergy.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 3rd, 2014 at 3:10:40 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Marijuana has a reverse tolerance, which is why some newcomers claim they didn't get high the first time. Maybe they just giggled a little. THC builds up in the body over time and it takes less and less to get high, unlike heroin which takes more and more to get you the same buzz. Also, THC is stored in the fat cells, so heavy exercise can release the stored THC into your system many days after you last smoked, and give you a little unexpected buzz.

If your friend isn't already a smoker of anything, he'll likely cough and cough and cough till he's in tears. Cig smokers already have black lung, so weed doesn't make them cough so much. I'd recommend a vaporizer rather than a pipe, if he has access to one. No smoke, no flame, just smooth cool vapor, which will get him just as high.

There are also edible treats made from THC-infused butter and oils. Here in WA, we have access to all sorts of lollipops, cookies, etc which is a different high entirely. My first time with these "medibles", I took one bite of a peanut butter cup, very much like a Reeses cup, and it was tasty enough I ate the whole thing. That's it, just a single peanut butter cup, and it was like a hit of acid. It was that strong and lasted hours longer than I found appealing. Never again!

To those who say weed makes you stupid and removes any ambition or drive, I agree entirely. La-la land...a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there.
August 3rd, 2014 at 3:30:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: zippyboy
To those who say weed makes you stupid and removes any ambition or drive, I agree entirely. La-la land...a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there.

But some people do live there already. That's
why some of us have noted that it's mostly
dumb people who do it into middle age. The
high they get isn't that much different from
walking around with your head up your keister
anyway.

I stopped doing it because I came to loathe the
useless way it made me feel. You can still function
with alcohol, it's not possible with weed. Unless
you consider staring at Yellow Submarine on TV
for 2 hours functioning, eating an entire giant
bag of Doritos.

Watch any of the Cheech and Chong movies, they
are very close to reality.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 3rd, 2014 at 9:31:28 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: FrGamble
A priest friend of mine has a good friend who recently recommended to him that he should try marijuana. He asked me for some advice and the more I thought about it, the more I realized it is complicated.
I know it is illegal and for some that could stop the conversation. However, there are unjust laws that St. Thomas claims do not need to be followed if they are not just. Even for someone like me, who does not believe in legalizing it, to see it in the class associated with hard drugs like heroin makes little to no sense. There is also a movement a foot that is gaining political strength to legalize weed, some say it is just a matter of time.
I know it is not as evil and destructive to our bodies as we are led to believe, but it's not exactly health food either. Inhaling smoke into your lungs is bad for you, period. But, I smoke cigars on occasion and I drink alcohol as well at times and both of them are technically bad for you too. Is pot much worse than these other drugs?
I couldn't tell you about the effects of marijuana having never tried it. If the effects are such that it incapacitates you then that is a problem. However, I have heard that you cannot overdose on pot. An alcohol overdose will kill you. So if you are staying home and can still function on its effects is that sinful? I also know that it seems some musicians and writers found weed to do the opposite of debilitate them.
My biggest question is about the opportunity for scandal. If he gets caught not only could it be legal trouble for him (not quite sure what the penalty is), but it could alienate some parishioners.
So I ask you all, what do you think? Should my priest friend try pot? He is very interested it sounds like or at least curious. There might be lots of other things I am not thinking about at the moment.

I signed up on dt just for a reply to this, I hope I don't regret it.

FrGamble may I refer you to Genesis 1;29?

Most of those who have replied to this thread seem to assume that the reason for mmj use isn't medicinal. I use to pshaw it's medicinal qualities and think people just wanted to legally get high. I have since changed my mind. Almost daily there is another medical reason for it's use now that it is becoming easier for researchers to get samples to work with.

I think it is probably the single best plant on earth. With coconut a close second. Look objectively at this plant. It has the potential to stop wars due to its value as a fuel source. It will save millions of trees for paper. It has the potential to change the world in a good way.

As with all things using it for its mind changing effects needs to be done in moderation. It is much safer than alcohol. Its the most peaceful herb on the planet and I wish others could look at it objectively, If they can't I am almost out of time to change anyones mind, but I highly recommend your friend and you give it a try.

It is wonderful medicine. If used for that reason consider the edibles. A great replacement for ambien or other sleep drugs. It may be somewhat habit forming, it isn't addictive. In moderation it is harmless. I won't even go into the legions of examples of how it as been maligned since it was made illegal because of Dupont and nylon, or a way to kick out mexicans. Find out for yourself FrGambl, don't let detractors or armchair opinions decide this for you or your friend. If it is illegal where your friend is than the law is wrong and definately not Gods law.,
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 3rd, 2014 at 10:04:34 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Great post petroglyph! You're absolutely right. Preach it brother!

p.s. I'm a proud member of NORML.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 4th, 2014 at 4:53:13 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: petroglyph
FrGamble may I refer you to Genesis 1;29?
what?
"I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it." Poppies and opium are OK too then

Quote:
Almost daily there is another medical reason for it's use
Note that the Feds were ready to OK THC medical use in the form of pills, but nobody wanted it, the medical marijuana folks always insist it must be smoked. Every legalization has had a terrible track record of abuse [recreational use instead of medical for most users].

Quote:
It has the potential to stop wars due to its value as a fuel source. It will save millions of trees for paper. It has the potential to change the world in a good way.
absolutely delusional drivel.

Quote:
As with all things using it for its mind changing effects needs to be done in moderation.
see other post for my opinion.
_

sorry, petroglyph! I am not usually this severe. I am in favor of decriminalization, and I still say decriminalization is the main motive for recent voter actions.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 4th, 2014 at 9:55:30 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Everything in moderation. Lots of people, including several friends of mine, use pot recreationally, and do not overindulge. If you have an addictive personality, or come to believe you can't function without pot, then a pothead you will become. Just like different people's reaction, chemical, physical, or emotional, to booze. Or cigs. Or sugar. Or caffeine.

Heroin is a different animal, as are many opiates.

I enjoyed pot occasionally back 30+ years ago. Left it behind first for cost considerations, then was in an industry where it was not allowed and we were under random testing, and haven't gone back. But if they legalize it....haven't decided yet. It has changed, as have I. Chances are very good I will enjoy it again some day, under some circumstance.

I will say that I went to a Jesuit university for my undergrad, and many of the priests there were among my recreational pot-smoking friends. Not even just a few. They were also brilliant, functioning members of faculty and staff when they were working. So if your priest friend "goes" there, he won't be the first in my experience.

Hemp is an amazing plant, and I agree that over the last 60-70 years, there have been a multitude of hidden agendas limiting its availability and use. From "Reefer Madness" to Big Pharma to Big Paper to Big Chem to commercialized prisons, all have benefitted from its demonization.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
August 4th, 2014 at 11:40:36 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: beachbumbabs
I will say that I went to a Jesuit university for my undergrad, and many of the priests there were among my recreational pot-smoking friends. Not even just a few.

I have a friend who sent to San Diego University (a Catholic college) and he said the same thing.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
Page 3 of 11<123456>Last »