2 votes (10%)
3 votes (15%)

20 members have voted

August 8th, 2014 at 9:00:27 AM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Quote: Evenbob
Classically wrong. He thought the hemp he smoked
was the same hemp Henry Ford made seats out of.
Wrong hemp.
+1

I don't understand people who keep conflating hemp and marijuana. Comparing industrial hemp to pot is like comparing Jack Daniels to wood alcohol.

Quote: Mosca
Short answer: No.

If your friend has made it this far without it, there is nothing that it will add to life or life's enjoyment that will outweigh the risks, including loss of judgement while impaired. That would be the biggest risk, IMO.
+1

Brief post, but it speaks volumes.

I still don't understand why pot is so attractive to some adults. Lots of people accuse me of being elitist and thinking that I'm "better" or "smarter" than pot users, but that's way off the mark.

I just consider drug use in general to be a kid's activity. Like TP'ing someone's house. One expects teenagers to TP people's houses, but a 50-year-old man?? I don't think so. Same thing with drug use. I expect teenagers & college kids to use/experiment with drugs, but not mature adults. (Before anyone gets their panties all ruffled, I'm not saying that marijuana users are immature; I'm just saying that the activity itself is immature.)
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
August 8th, 2014 at 11:54:34 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Ok I heard back from my friend who decided, even after our poll and the advice he received (I shared many of your comments), to go through with it and give pot a try. He was on vacation and with a friend who was experienced. He said he was so scared because of all he had heard and was worried about freaking out or having a heart attack. His exact words to me were, "It turned out not to be a big deal at all."
He said in high school he used to chew tabacco and that the high he got from that was just as intense, except that with pot there was no sickness, you felt better, and it lasted longer. He described the classic symptoms of getting really hungry and feeling elated, he felt like he could conquer the world but his buddy just wanted to chill out and listen to music. I asked him about prayer in the evening; was it hard or possible? He said it was difficult because he couldn't stay focused and every time he closed his eyes he saw, "brightly colored shapes that made him giggle".
So over all he is actually really glad he did it, but is not eager to do it again anytime soon. He is worried about the legal ramifications so I told him that after October 1st Maryland decriminializes it, maybe I'll try it with him then I don't know. Thanks for everybody's responses and opinions it was interesting.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 8th, 2014 at 12:03:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Beethoven

I just consider drug use in general to be a kid's activity.

I remember not respecting people like
Timothy Leary and Hunter Thompson
who were always bragging about their
drug use well into middle age. It seemed
childish and stupid. FrG just said his friend
reported he couldn't stay focused, which
is what it does to you. Why you would
want that feeling after you're 23 is a mystery.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 8th, 2014 at 1:41:27 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Something came to mind, and I'm not saying it is profound or even 'on the money', but here it is:

They say medical doctors need to be aware they are likely to get hooked on drugs, because they feel their profession gives them such insight into the domain of drugs and their effects, that they feel they will always maintain control. This makes them feel they can experiment.

Priests and ministers can get into trouble too with addictions, as we know. It sure is a breeze to find instances where gambling got out of control, just to mention one. Is one of the reasons that they feel they have insight over Sin and thus can experiment with it? I'm starting to wonder now.

[edits]
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 8th, 2014 at 2:48:51 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: odiousgambit
Something came to mind, and I'm not saying it is profound or even 'on the money', but here it is:

They say medical doctors need to be aware they are likely to get hooked on drugs, because they feel their profession gives them such insight into the domain of drugs and their effects, that they feel they will always maintain control. This makes them feel they can experiment.

Priests and ministers can get into trouble too with addictions, as we know. It sure is a breeze to find instances where gambling got out of control, just to mention one. Is one of the reasons that they feel they have insight over Sin and thus can experiment with it? I'm starting to wonder now.

[edits]

Good questions.

I know one of the things I vehemently disagree with is that you can't criticize something if you haven't tried it or seen it. I don't need to try heroin to say it will kill you and destroy your life and I don't need to see that "Tammy" movie to know it sucks.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 10th, 2014 at 3:06:10 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Don't you think pot is a dangerous tool for priests known to have lust for young boys father? I don't think the pope would approve of this drug being used.
August 10th, 2014 at 3:20:33 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Quote: FrGamble
Ok I heard back from my friend who decided, even after our poll and the advice he received (I shared many of your comments), to go through with it and give pot a try. He was on vacation and with a friend who was experienced. He said he was so scared because of all he had heard and was worried about freaking out or having a heart attack. His exact words to me were, "It turned out not to be a big deal at all."
He said in high school he used to chew tabacco and that the high he got from that was just as intense, except that with pot there was no sickness, you felt better, and it lasted longer. He described the classic symptoms of getting really hungry and feeling elated, he felt like he could conquer the world but his buddy just wanted to chill out and listen to music. I asked him about prayer in the evening; was it hard or possible? He said it was difficult because he couldn't stay focused and every time he closed his eyes he saw, "brightly colored shapes that made him giggle".
So over all he is actually really glad he did it, but is not eager to do it again anytime soon. He is worried about the legal ramifications so I told him that after October 1st Maryland decriminializes it, maybe I'll try it with him then I don't know. Thanks for everybody's responses and opinions it was interesting.
I saw brightly colored shapes when I closed my eyes the first time too. Spheres, cylinders, and cubes. I could do this before, but it was easier after. This is kind of a waking dream state I'M sure. Don't smoke anymore for decades but sometimes I used to fall asleep and think I was still awake on the computer. No longer since I'm not using a laptop and also not having trouble with insomnia as much. It's a weird thing anyways doing this kind of dreaming when doing it intentionally as I used to. I got too good so I decide to quit because I was afraid of how the brain was able to do this and worried I could possibly creating a tumor in my brain. Not sure what even the terminology for such an experience.
August 10th, 2014 at 12:10:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Look how the Indians used peyote. Did they
get up everyday and pop some buttons and
make it a lifestyle? Hell no, it was a ritual
done on special occasions with lots of prep.
They knew it would totally screw you up if
you made a habit out of it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 10th, 2014 at 1:49:38 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
Look how the Indians used peyote. Did they
get up everyday and pop some buttons and
make it a lifestyle? Hell no, it was a ritual
done on special occasions with lots of prep.
They knew it would totally screw you up if
you made a habit out of it.

And look what alcohol did to them!
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 10th, 2014 at 3:41:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: petroglyph
And look what alcohol did to them!

That's a metabolism problem. Thhey lack an
enzyme that breaks down the alcohol. Asians
have the opposite problem, they have way
more of the enzyme than whites. So much
that drinking too much makes them sick.
Whites are 'lucky' in that they seem to have just
enough.