2 votes (10%)
3 votes (15%)

20 members have voted

August 10th, 2014 at 5:27:12 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
Whites are 'lucky' .....

yes, in many ways. Being white, male and American is like winning the World Lottery.
August 10th, 2014 at 6:07:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: zippyboy
yes, in many ways. Being white, male and American is like winning the World Lottery.

50 years ago this was true, it's far
from true now.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 11th, 2014 at 3:12:16 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Evenbob
Quote: zippyboy

50 years ago this was true, it's far
from true now.

Denuminization, guys, Denuminization ...

It's fun to use a word that google's dictionary does not have. If you try to google the definition, one of the things that comes up is a thread in this forum [now this thread might come up too].

I've been thinking about denuminization for a while now. The Traditional Male [or white American male, as you guys have it] was at his Numinous peak right after WW2. I mean, it was really ridiculous how high on the pedestal that group was, doomed to topple. But the ascendency of other groups has meant the toppled figure still lies low. It probably is true that the most natural figure to gain Numinousness is a figure of prior persecution.

If you have trouble picturing this, watch the movie "The Green Mile" where the Numinous figure literally has magical powers, yet the movie is not hooted out of the theater. Ask yourself if you too did not watch and were affected. That prior persecution thing is powerful.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 11th, 2014 at 12:16:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: odiousgambit
The Traditional Male [or white American male, as you guys have it] was at his Numinous peak right after WW2..

From the mid 40's to the mid 60's, the white US
male was king. Before civil rights, before the women's
movement, they had it all. It's what Archie Bunker
was always whining about for all those years in the
70's. He grew of age in the 40's, and saw what
minorities and women were doing to his standing.

Cat Hulbert saw it when Ken Uston told her women
weren't smart enough to count cards on his team.
White guys only, they had what it takes. On the TV
show Mad Men, a new secretary is introduced to the
IBM Selectric and is told 'even a woman can learn to
use it'. Blacks no longer have to ride at the back of
the bus. Things were simpler up till then.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 11th, 2014 at 1:53:53 PM permalink
odiousgambit
If you went to virtually any professional, a doctor, lawyer, dentist, pharmacist, cop, mailman, *whatever* ... you expected it to be a white male.

Never mind the advantage this gave a white male wanting to enter a profession, what it did to the mythical status of said group was enormous too. It's all changed.

Today, if you need some service, and get a white male, you might feel a tiny bit disappointed. In certain circumstances anyway. If I get some old white guy [myself fitting the same description] but I suspect has no particular qualifications, I can even feel that way myself. I mean, I surprise myself sometimes. The numinous quality is largely gone. The guy needs to prove himself.
August 11th, 2014 at 2:10:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
White males still dominate the butcher business,
mostly because women don't like it. Most veterinarians
are now women because it doesn't pay enough to
interest qualified men. White men still dominate the
trucking business mostly because many minorities
have substance abuse issues, which causes them to
lose their CDL's. My brother is a driver for a large
national carrier and he says they hire and fire blacks
all the time because they start making the big money
and can't stay off the dope. Even small traces of weed
in your tests will get you fired.
August 11th, 2014 at 2:14:55 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: odiousgambit
If you went to virtually any professional, a doctor, lawyer, dentist, pharmacist, cop, mailman, *whatever* ... you expected it to be a white male.

There is no reason this should surprise. Given that whites were 85+% of the population and most professions were male that is what you would get.

Quote:
Never mind the advantage this gave a white male wanting to enter a profession, what it did to the mythical status of said group was enormous too. It's all changed.

If everyone is white and male it really isn't an advantage. Even today probably half the women in the workforce would rather be at home with the kids.

Quote:
Today, if you need some service, and get a white male, you might feel a tiny bit disappointed. In certain circumstances anyway. If I get some old white guy [myself fitting the same description] but I suspect has no particular qualifications, I can even feel that way myself. I mean, I surprise myself sometimes. The numinous quality is largely gone. The guy needs to prove himself.

I knew a painter in Phoenix got lots of business because he was a white guy. When you hire a worker out there you get someone Mexican, some polite and professional some not so much. A friend told me some guy he knew out there broke out of white-collar world and learned the same thing. You can't advertise it but word of mouth alone would keep a MAWG busy.
The President is a fink.
August 11th, 2014 at 2:30:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
A friend I've known for 45 years has a drywall
business. He only hires Mexicans now because
they come in every day, work their asses off,
and never complain about anything. The opposite
of most young white guys these days, he claims.

And it's not illegals he hires, he says it's not worth
going down that road with the gov't.
August 11th, 2014 at 5:27:31 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Hard to imagine people buying anything made in China when racism was still mainstream. It's harder making money being a racist if you do as you think. Global competition and corporatism seems more responsible for the way the world is than the lack of racism and benefiting from it.
August 11th, 2014 at 5:56:02 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: AZDuffman
There is no reason this should surprise...

you make good points, but regardless the denuminization has been quite stunning, for whatever reasons.
Page 8 of 11« First<567891011>