Voter Fraud Outrage!!

Page 2 of 3<123>
November 6th, 2012 at 12:41:54 PM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
Quote: MonkeyMonkey
Is it "an actual case of voter fraud" or are we still at the alleged phase?
Yes, charges have been filed, an arrest was made, it's an actual case.
I read the article but I think I missed the bit where the conviction was mentioned. Being a patriot, as I imagine myself to be, I'm rather in favor of the that silly "innocent until proven guilty" concept... perhaps you've heard of it?
I've heard of it and when this woman is convicted, I will call it an actual felony.
November 6th, 2012 at 12:48:37 PM permalink
MonkeyMonkey
Threads: 0
Quote: s2dbaker
Yes, charges have been filed, an arrest was made, it's an actual case.

I was using 'case' a little differently, but I suppose the subtlety of the context eluded you.

I've heard of it and when this woman is convicted, I will call it an actual felony.

Oh good, then you're against voter fraud too, from a lot of your posts it's hard to tell. This is excellent news.
World's most discriminating Kool-Aid connoisseur
November 6th, 2012 at 1:01:56 PM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
Oh good, then you're against voter fraud too, from a lot of your posts it's hard to tell. This is excellent news.
So? Where's the outrage?
November 6th, 2012 at 1:09:56 PM permalink
MonkeyMonkey
So? Where's the outrage?

I guess you don't "get it" after all. Outrage comes from them getting away with it. See, in this case, she didn't get away with it so there's no need for outrage, it's what I like to call "The system working correctly for a change".
November 6th, 2012 at 1:18:56 PM permalink
rdw4potus
Threads: 10
I guess you don't "get it" after all. Outrage comes from them getting away with it. See, in this case, she didn't get away with it so there's no need for outrage, it's what I like to call "The system working correctly for a change".

FWIW, the system worked AND Nevada doesn't require ID to vote. So, not only is in-person voter fraud exceedingly rare, it's also curtailable using existing systems and laws.
I'm not wearing any pants, film at 11
November 6th, 2012 at 6:06:57 PM permalink
MonkeyMonkey
Quote: rdw4potus

FWIW, the system worked AND Nevada doesn't require ID to vote. So, not only is in-person voter fraud exceedingly rare, it's also curtailable using existing systems and laws.

Can you help me out with how you derived the part in bold above and can you translate "exceedingly rare" into some sort of quantifiable figure?
November 7th, 2012 at 7:32:18 AM permalink
rdw4potus
Threads: 10

Can you help me out with how you derived the part in bold above and can you translate "exceedingly rare" into some sort of quantifiable figure?

I think it's 4 confirmed cases nationwide in the last 12 years:
3 cases in 2000 (the idiot kids who looked into a TV camera and said "time to go vote again!" in Wisconsin), 0 cases in 2004, 0 cases in 2008, apparently 1 case in 2012.

There are only 3 ways for in person voter fraud to occur: 1. a fraudulently registered entity votes; 2. a person tries to vote twice; 3. voter impersonation. Even in the unwinding of the Acorn debacle, there were 0 cases of fraudulently registered entities voting. Duplicate voting is preventable in the current system - that's what just happened in NV. I'm not aware of any reported cases of voter impersonation. Maybe that one happens, but it seems like it would be newsworthy if it did and even voter ID proponents aren't pointing to reported cases.

Why is it that the same people who rail against gun control are for voter ID laws? We've tried this exact same type of regulation before. It doesn't work.

People don't want to get murdered. So handgun background checks and waiting periods are put into effect. Hundreds of thousands of people are inconvenienced by the added time and effort required to purchase a handgun. Handgun sales are suppressed. The murder rate is unaffected.
I'm not wearing any pants, film at 11
November 7th, 2012 at 8:40:33 PM permalink
MonkeyMonkey

I think it's 4 confirmed cases nationwide in the last 12 years:
3 cases in 2000 (the idiot kids who looked into a TV camera and said "time to go vote again!" in Wisconsin), 0 cases in 2004, 0 cases in 2008, apparently 1 case in 2012.

I guess I was too vague in my request. "Can you cite a source that backs up your claim?" is what I should have said. I forget that "debate" takes place on these forums as if "because I said so" meant something, which is why conversation with EvenBob and s2dbaker is equally a waste of time.

There are only 3 ways for in person voter fraud to occur: 1. a fraudulently registered entity votes; 2. a person tries to vote twice; 3. voter impersonation. Even in the unwinding of the Acorn debacle, there were 0 cases of fraudulently registered entities voting. Duplicate voting is preventable in the current system - that's what just happened in NV. I'm not aware of any reported cases of voter impersonation. Maybe that one happens, but it seems like it would be newsworthy if it did and even voter ID proponents aren't pointing to reported cases.

More to the point, it's really hard to point out how much of a problem something isn't, or how well a policy is working when we don't really know the extent of the problem. You claim there are 4 cases (you think...) of confirmed voter fraud. Ok. But that doesn't tell us anything about how many times it's actually happened and not been caught.

I think it's reasonable for a person to have to show a government issued photo id if they want to vote. I can't see any reasonable way this is going to keep anyone that really wants to vote, that can do so legitimately, from voting. If we can require this before operating a motor vehicle on public streets, I think it's equally reasonable to require it to help guide the course of the nation.

Why is it that the same people who rail against gun control are for voter ID laws?

No idea, why don't you find someone that feels that way and ask them? If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it's because they're hypocrites. And this would apply the other way around as well (against voter id, for gun control). This is among the reasons I'm in the middle, I think both ends of the spectrums are nuts and often willfully myopic on the subject of their own hypocrisy.

We've tried this exact same type of regulation before. It doesn't work.

We may have to agree to disagree on what "work" means. We have laws against murder and people still get murdered, does this mean the laws don't work and should be discarded?

You may say that's an extreme example, but I only used it because you went there first. See below.

People don't want to get murdered. So handgun background checks and waiting periods are put into effect. Hundreds of thousands of people are inconvenienced by the added time and effort required to purchase a handgun. Handgun sales are suppressed. The murder rate is unaffected.

I have no problem with handgun background checks and waiting periods. I think that those laws probably do "work" in that some people that don't have a gun but would really like to kill someone with one right away are given a period to cool off. If they're still determined to kill them after the waiting period then I suppose that's just what they'll do. If they're in a big enough hurry and don't want to wait they can always go out to the garden shed and get a shovel. A shovel to the back of the cranium can be effectively used to murder someone, if the attacker is determined.

I'm not a "gun nut" that can cite handgun murder statistics, and frankly other than just randomly Googling and hoping to get lucky I don't know that I can find any. But I don't think I need to because it's hard to prove that a murder that was prevented was going to happen and didn't.

And to bring it full circle, saying that there's no voter fraud to stop, or that current laws are adequate is a grand, yet unprovable, position. If there's no fraud to stop then what will the picture id laws hurt? If people aren't itching to off each other with handguns, what's the problem with a waiting period? There's really no way to be sure if these laws will help or not except to try them and measure the results. In your handgun gun example, we wouldn't be measuring if the murder rate went down or not, we'd be measuring if the murder by recently purchased handgun rate went down or not. I think that may be an important distinction to make when defining the metrics involved.
June 3rd, 2015 at 3:27:14 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
8 in 10 back Voter ID!

Numbers backing gay marriage are far lower yet we hear the GOP must adopt the position or perish. So, liberals, will you tell Democrats to stop being against Voter ID or else the party will be punished at the polls????
The President is a fink.
January 18th, 2020 at 4:29:02 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Didn't want to put this in the Love YT thread and it didn't fit anywhere else.

Watch the white college kids. Notice their statements and how their voices sound. They literally think Blacks are incapable of the simplest thing and must live in squalor without internet or phones. Why do libs not call this out for being racist by their standards?

The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 3<123>