Babylon 5

Page 1 of 3123>
August 7th, 2014 at 7:14:16 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Yesterday I stumbled on a deep discount for all B5 DVDs on Amazon. Normally a box set with one season goes for $55 or so. They were $15. SO I got all five seasons plus the box set with five TV movies, all for about $110 including shipping.

This show is unusual because it is a story-arc show. It's like a long novel for television, telling, as the intro on every episode states "the story of the last of the Babylon stations." This involves intrigue, love, war, alliances, betrayal, war, espionage, adventure, and did I mention war? This type of show has never become common because it's really hard to do, and requires the writer(s) to have near-full control over it. In fact, B5 nearly didn't finish. Season 5, the last, was picked up off syndication by TNT. The last episode, the series finale, was shot on the fourth year in case season 5 never happened.

We'll see how it holds up after so many years.

Watch out for the shadows. They move when you aren't looking.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 7th, 2014 at 8:32:23 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Nareed
Yesterday I stumbled on a deep discount for all B5 DVDs on Amazon. Normally a box set with one season goes for $55 or so. They were $15. SO I got all five seasons plus the box set with five TV movies, all for about $110 including shipping.

This show is unusual because it is a story-arc show. It's like a long novel for television, telling, as the intro on every episode states "the story of the last of the Babylon stations." This involves intrigue, love, war, alliances, betrayal, war, espionage, adventure, and did I mention war? This type of show has never become common because it's really hard to do, and requires the writer(s) to have near-full control over it. In fact, B5 nearly didn't finish. Season 5, the last, was picked up off syndication by TNT. The last episode, the series finale, was shot on the fourth year in case season 5 never happened.

We'll see how it holds up after so many years.

Watch out for the shadows. They move when you aren't looking.

I was a huge Babylon 5 fan.
Great science fiction. So well written. Loved the show.
I think I only watched the 1st 3 seasons. good stuff.
One of my favorite episodes was with Jack the Ripper.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 7th, 2014 at 8:48:17 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: terapined
One of my favorite episodes was with (SPOILER).

Don't you want to see how it ends? This is a good chance to catch up.

The ep you mentioned was good, and rather revealing about methods. "Inquisitor" indeed.

I think my all time favorite is "War Without End," which came in season 4 (what really happened to Babylon 4?). Aside from that, one I really liked was "By all Means Necessary" in season one. One of the few eps not written by JMS.
August 7th, 2014 at 9:02:13 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: terapined
I was a huge Babylon 5 fan.
Great science fiction. So well written. Loved the show.
One of my favorite episodes was with Jack the Ripper.

It went downhill after season 3. I didn't even bother watching season 5. I was tired of the bombastic speeches of galaxy ending struggle. It was much more interesting when the stories were more about the people and the station.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
August 7th, 2014 at 9:50:42 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: TheCesspit
It went downhill after season 3.

Season four was the climax and the whole point of the series.

Season five suffered from the absence of Claudia Christian, the promotion of John Sheridan and the offstage uncertainties of the production. Still, as a means of laying the broad background for "Crusade" and the Centauri Trilogy, it was rather good. Just anticlicmatic (literally, as it followed the twin climaxes of season 4). The fact that "Crusade" got cancelled after half a season doesn't change that.

Sign at the Vorlon Tourist Office: We have never been here.
August 7th, 2014 at 12:24:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: TheCesspit
It went downhill after season 3. I didn't even bother watching season 5. I was tired of the bombastic speeches of galaxy ending struggle. .

SciFi TV always gets so full of itself. It always
degenerates into Lib moralistic plot lines with
a message. Like 'Next Generation' and all it's
ill begotten off shoots. Gag me with a spoon
on all of it. Give a Alien any day, or something
like it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 8th, 2014 at 8:05:55 AM permalink
Nareed
Real origin of the Shadow-Vorlon conflict:

SPOILER ALERT!!

Proceed at your own risk

Millions of years ago, Ulkesh Naranek placed a call to his girlfriend, Kosh Naranek (no relation). In his urgency, however, he dialed the wrong number.

Thousands of light years away, Ulkesh's call woke up a Shadow who, in the custom of his people, had been taking a short nap of a single century.

Annoyed at being awoken, the Shadow asked angrily "What do you want?" in the same instant that Ulkesh, anxious upon seeing a stranger, suspiciously asked "Who are you?"

The galaxy took millennia to recover from the consequences.
August 8th, 2014 at 9:05:50 AM permalink
Nareed
From Susan Ivanova's Pearls of Wisdom:

When doing something stupid, make sure you catalog the full extent of your stupidity (for future reference) beforehand. Afterwards it may be too late.

Think: If morning is the best part of the day for you, doesn't this mean your day only keeps getting more and more annoying?

You WILL listen to Ivanova's sugestions.

Coffee is the solution to all problems.

I'm always in the middle of thirteen different things, all of them annoying. You're just one of them.
August 12th, 2014 at 4:06:06 PM permalink
Nareed
Q: How many Centauri does it take to screw-in a light bulb?
A: None. They like it in the Shadows.

Q: Why did the Minbari cross the road.
A: Understanding is not necessary. Only obedience.
August 14th, 2014 at 7:23:28 AM permalink
Nareed
Q: How many Marsies does it take to screw-in a light bulb?
A: There will be no light until the sands run red with Earther blood!

B5/DS9 Crossover scene 1

Sisko: Welcome to Deep Space Nine.
Sheridan: Nine? Man, you people are freaking persistent!

B5/DS9 Crossover scene 2

Kira: Ambassador, what do you make of the Prophets?
Kosh: Amateurs.
Page 1 of 3123>