Ethics - What would you do?

Page 3 of 3<123
August 18th, 2014 at 9:34:50 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Wizard

However, the fact that they didn't do a good job puts this in a grey area. Tough call. Personally, I would be tempted to do nothing, but I wouldn't be proud of myself for it.

You nailed it. This is the exact position I am in.

Yes, there are minor imperfections that they could fix in about two hours or I would be satisfied with a $200 discount based on those. The fact that they didn't show up two days when they said they would be there and I had to stick around the house and wait for them is the biggest issue I have. That really pissed me off. Fortunately i can work from home so it didn't cost me any money, but what about someone that had taken two days off of work?

At this point I am going to do nothing. If they realize their mistake and call I will negotiate a big discount.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 18th, 2014 at 9:59:57 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
There's a point at which people are responsible for collecting their payments, or doing their work, and once you've notified them about it then it's no longer your problem.

For example, sometimes I run across projects that are for other divisions in the company. I will call and email the appropriate person or department. However, sometimes no one answers either their cell or landline, and they may not read all their emails. So if I called, left a voice mail, sent a text and an email, then that ends it as far as I'm concerned.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 18th, 2014 at 4:25:03 PM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
Quote: Pacomartin
What would you do- about contacting them? nothing
What would you do- if they send you a bill? politely inform them that you have been waiting for them to return to finish the work

Nailed it.

The fact that they were a no-show twice bears little on your belief that they would ever return, but you can still use both points as bargaining chips.

Quote: Wizard
Personally, I would be tempted to do nothing, but I wouldn't be proud of myself for it.

Ditto, although it would register very low on my 'feel bad' meter.
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
Page 3 of 3<123