So now this is a thing

August 22nd, 2014 at 11:30:43 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
An article about making phone calls from tablets:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101933538

I think that's a great idea. I do use my smart phone, but I've never warmed up to it. The screen is just too small. Storage is lousy for cheaper phones, likewise the processor and overall performance.

On the other hand I carry the Nexus 7 around just about everywhere. It's reasonably swift in performance, and has decent storage (32 GB). The downside is its lack of internet connectivity in the absence of free WiFi. If it were mated with an internal cell phone, so to speak, I could have connectivity at all times. Some cell companies already offer tablets with a data plan through the cell network, too.

What I'd really like is a handset accessory. The tablet would make the call, but you'd dial and speak through a small handset, say about as large as a regular cell phone, linked via Bluetooth.

Of course, where you find free WiFi, or at home or the office where you have your own WiFi, you could make free calls with Skype using the handset.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 22nd, 2014 at 2:07:43 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I went to a newly opened laundromat today in search of a bulletin board for local maid services, in large letters on the door: Free WiFi.

Most businesses are doing it, often for free themselves since they happen to find signals available from nearby sites.

I've never liked these tiny buttoned VCRs or tiny buttoned phones. And as for the tiny screen... forget it.