No votes (0%)
2 votes (28.57%)
No votes (0%)
5 votes (71.42%)

7 members have voted

August 27th, 2014 at 7:06:33 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I'm still having some trouble and finding faults with my company-issued phone. I've decided to spend the money to get a better one, possibly hooked to the company's payment plan (we are allowed, if we pay for the phone).

As the iPhone 6 is coming out soon, I figure the price for the iPhone 5 will drop like a stone in a Jovian gravity field, both for new and used phones (if Apple allows the sale of older models to go on, that is). The idea is to keep using it until it falls apart, say 2-3 years.

Is it worth it? Or should I go for a new Android phone sooner?

What I want is a phone that's fast and has more than 4 GB of internal storage, and which won't drop the GPS lock 7 out of 10 times for no discernible reason.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 27th, 2014 at 9:51:15 PM permalink
scotty71
Threads: 1
I phones are great but I think a lot has to do with the carrier. My kids have 5's I still have a 4 that is 3 years old and works great. Everything Non Apple is inferior j/k. Apple is usually not too aggressive with major price cuts unless they have had a big inventory build and I dont think thats the case currently as they have sold quite a bit of the 5's are you in Mexico or US?
I would think the price of the 5's might drop 100 USD or so. Dont know how fast a jovian field drops...is that faster than Samsungs stock? Apple owns the high end phone market if you want a high end phone that is what you should buy. I'm going to buy the 6 to support portfolio co's I own and am particularly interested in the new sapphire glass being manufactured by GT Advanced Technologies http://www.gtat.com
August 28th, 2014 at 7:07:07 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: scotty71
I phones are great but I think a lot has to do with the carrier.

Oh, the carrier chosen by our company needs to improve substantially in order to be considered bad.

Quote:
Everything Non Apple is inferior j/k.

Answering the question why I posted this in religion ;)

Quote:
I would think the price of the 5's might drop 100 USD or so.

That's a pretty substantial drop, IMO. I expect used phones would go even lower. I do want a 5s because of the much superior processor.

Quote:
Dont know how fast a jovian field drops...

It doesn't. The field stays where it is (it can't do otherwise). Jupiter has the strongest gravitational field of any planet in the Solar System. If a rock drops fast on Earth, it would drop much faster on Jupiter.

Quote:
Apple owns the high end phone market if you want a high end phone that is what you should buy.

While Android phones own a much bigger market share than iOS, the Apple app store (or whatever it's called) does more business than the Google Play store. In part this means people with money to buy iPhones also have money to spend on apps. The consequences, though, are that some apps get developed, still, only for iOS because that market pays well enough and does not require apps with the ability to work on a plethora of different phone models.
August 28th, 2014 at 9:33:44 AM permalink
scotty71
Threads: 1
I haven posted in a long time kind of forgt how to display quotes in the best manner, aplogies in advance

Quote: Nareed
Oh, the carrier chosen by our company needs to improve substantially in order to be considered bad.

Amercan movil? If the carrier doest have great 4g infrastructure you won't get the full value out of the phone IMO

Answering the question why I posted this in religion ;)

funny but true...for a reason

That's a pretty substantial drop, IMO. I expect used phones would go even lower. I do want a 5s because of the much superior processor.

Buy new Apple has great support and stands behind their products BIG TIME in my experience. Worth the extra spend if you are planning on having it for more than 2 years. Usually the extended coverage includes accidents I think..it does on iPads and ultimately cheaper in aggregate than cell phone insurance IMO. I dont buy insurance on phones except for my kids and thats probably been break even as they tend to find a way to drop them just right or in the toilet...something amusing about seeing people texting my daughter when her phone is in the bowl

While Android phones own a much bigger market share than iOS, the Apple app store (or whatever it's called) does more business than the Google Play store. In part this means people with money to buy iPhones also have money to spend on apps. The consequences, though, are that some apps get developed, still, only for iOS because that market pays well enough and does not require apps with the ability to work on a plethora of different phone models.

I tunes/ App Store is going to be the mobile payment platform of the future they have the balance sheet to play bank if need be and its too big of an opportunity for them to pass up.

P.S. If you still want a Nespresso machine you can have my old one... I got a new one;) just PM me and we can figure out the details.

Peace- Scotty
August 28th, 2014 at 11:55:41 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: scotty71
Amercan movil? If the carrier doest have great 4g infrastructure you won't get the full value out of the phone IMO

Right now I have a lousy service and a lousy phone. I figure one out of two would be an improvement.

Quote:
funny but true...for a reason

There is a cult of Apple. It began with the colored plastic all-in-one desktop paperweights back in the 90s.

Quote:
Buy new Apple has great support and stands behind their products BIG TIME in my experience.

It's complicated. My best bet is to get a used phone and have IT change the line to the one in the company plan.

Walmart is selling the 4s with 8GB for about $350. That's a bit more than I'd be willing to spend and it includes signing up for a call and data plan. At the apple Store it costs more, but it's unblocked.

Quote:
P.S. If you still want a Nespresso machine you can have my old one... I got a new one;) just PM me and we can figure out the details.

Thanks, but no. Having had some of it at the office, and having seen the cost per coffee capsules, I've decided I've better things on which to spend my money. I made a similar calculation for the Keurig machines as well.

Besides, I found this coffee place near my home which sells freshly roasted coffee by the kilo.
August 29th, 2014 at 9:55:02 AM permalink
Nareed
It seems the iPhone 6 will be revealed on Sept. 9th.

I hope there's some super-revolutionary feature everyone will want. That way there will be a huge glut of the previous model(s), driving their prices way, way down.

What such a feature could be, I've no idea. Apple could do something entirely unexpected. On the other hand they may simply change the place where the logo is engraved, and that would drive the faithful mad with ecstasy. You never know,
September 5th, 2014 at 7:18:17 AM permalink
Nareed
I'm still waiting developments, but also looking at different options.

Has anyone used Motorola's Moto G phone? It's priced low, seems more up to date than other Android offerings and has a decent-size screen. Of course I don't expect it to run like a high-end phone, but anything better than the current one I have should be enough.
September 5th, 2014 at 7:21:43 AM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
It seems the iPhone 6 will be revealed on Sept. 9th.

I hope there's some super-revolutionary feature everyone will want. That way there will be a huge glut of the previous model(s), driving their prices way, way down
The iPhone 6 will sell like hotcakes regardless, and the price of the previous iteration will come down drastically, too.

If you like big screens, Samsung's Note series is good.
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
September 7th, 2014 at 10:12:17 AM permalink
Nareed
I'm 90% certain to commit sacrilege. I have a chance to get a Moto G, 16GB, for lower than it costs, but I must get it today. I know it's not a high-end phone, but realistically it's a bargain which will leave me more money for the really important things in life: clothes (and accessories) and books.

So where can sins against Apple, the Woz and the Holy Jobs be expiated? ;)
September 8th, 2014 at 7:07:48 AM permalink
Nareed
Long and incredibly tedious story short: Walmart sold out of the Moto G, I told someone about it, this someone gave me an iPhone she no longer used.

Now to get IT to get it to work...
Page 1 of 3123>