Great Books you've probably never heard of or read

Page 3 of 5<12345>
August 30th, 2014 at 8:55:50 AM permalink
scotty71
Threads: 1
Quote: Pacomartin

It's over a half century old now, but one of the greatest books

A book I have never forgotten (written in the 1950's)

I'm going to read the list in order as you suggest. The other two will probably get read first by me (trying to overcome fear of science fiction). I think so much depends on ones age... i'm 42 so the books we've all been exposed to vary greatly.
Thats the magic of digging around.

Thanks
August 30th, 2014 at 9:01:51 AM permalink
scotty71
Quote: Face
OK, it's not a "hidden gem", probably everyone but me has heard of it before. But I finally found a copy of "Big, Two-Hearted River" and it's one of those things that will stay with me forever.

Indeed, it is awesome
August 30th, 2014 at 9:04:02 AM permalink
scotty71
Quote: Evenbob
Dhalgren. Go ahead, read it, take a trip to
Bellona. You will never forget it. Delany's
best work, it's taught in college. I read it
four times in the 70's and 80's and never
gotten it out of my head.

This one is now on my list too, thanks...my kindle is going to start smoking soon!!
August 30th, 2014 at 9:32:06 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
This is a book that some people need to read, that I think would be an even more famous book, except that most people already instinctively know what is in the book, live that way, and don't need to read it unless they are interested in Anthropology.

Speaking for myself, I needed to read this book, a real eye-opener for me.

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 30th, 2014 at 11:57:43 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: scotty71
This one is now on my list too, thanks...my kindle is going to start smoking soon!!

"Dhalgren is not a book for everyone; in fact, I'd even go so far as to say it's not for most people. Delany's work is definitely influenced by the fact that he is a gay black man, so if you're expecting normal sexual and emotional relationships, look elsewhere. It's also a dense book, which your average Grisham- or Crichton-reading person is not going to get, or even want to get. It's also long and slower-paced than most books I've read. That said, it's also one of the most fascinating tales I've read to date. I have sincere worries I'll ever be able to look at, say, a Philip K. Dick book with quite as much reverence again."
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 30th, 2014 at 12:04:40 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Lately I've been reading more history and non fiction looking for ways to better understand the world and in particular human nature. Most of the fiction I have read most people would be familiar with or are considered classics. I very much enjoy(ed) anything Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Arthur Miller, Eugene O'Niel, Sarte.
Plays and short stories are lots of fun, Flannery O'conner is great.
I think I read most of Steven Kings stuff up until 1995, Clancey too. Those are always page turners. I'll put up the Stand as a great read for anyone going on a loooong train ride.

I've never read much if any science fiction so I think I am going to read the Asimov works Chronologically as suggested... that seems like fun.

Flannery O'Connor is one of my favorite authors. It isn't common for a master of one form (the short story) to excel at another (the novel), but she did it twice, with Wise Blood and The Violent Bear it Away.

Here is my first recommendation: read My Lobotomy, by Howard Dully.

Quote:
“In 1960,” he writes, “I was given a transorbital, or ‘ice pick’ lobotomy. My stepmother arranged it. My father agreed to it. Dr. Walter Freeman, the father of the American lobotomy, told me he was going to do some ‘tests.’ It took ten minutes and cost two hundred dollars.” Fellow doctors called Freeman’s technique barbaric: an ice pick—like instrument was inserted about three inches into each eye socket and twirled to sever connections from the frontal lobe to the rest of the brain. The procedure was intended to help curb a variety of psychoses by muting emotional responses, but sometimes it irreversibly reduced patients to a childlike state or (in 15% of the operations Freeman performed) killed them outright. Dully’s ten-minute “test” did neither, but in some ways it had a far crueler result, since it didn’t end the unruly behavior that had set his stepmother against him to begin with.

“I spent the next forty years in and out of insane asylums, jails, and halfway houses,” he tells us. “I was homeless, alcoholic, and drug-addicted. I was lost.” From all accounts, there was no excuse for the lobotomy. Dully had never been “crazy,” and his (not very) bad behavior sounds like the typical acting-up of a child in desperate need of affection. His stepmother responded with unrelenting abuse and neglect, his father allowed her to demonize his son and never admitted his complicity in the lobotomy; Freeman capitalized on their monumental dysfunction. It’s a tale of epic horror, and while Dully’s courage in telling it inspires awe, readers are left to speculate about what drove supposedly responsible adults to such unconscionable acts.

A profoundly disturbing survivor’s tale."
—Kirkus
August 30th, 2014 at 12:10:54 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Iain Banks' 'Complicity'. The best of novels, or 'Use of Weapons' the best of his science fiction (often found written under the name Iain M Banks).
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
August 30th, 2014 at 12:28:28 PM permalink
scotty71
Quote: Mosca
Flannery O'Connor is one of my favorite authors. It isn't common for a master of one form (the short story) to excel at another (the novel), but she did it twice, with Wise Blood and The Violent Bear it Away.

Here is my first recommendation: read My Lobotomy, by Howard Dully.

I'll definitely read that. I've never heard of it or the author...sounds crazy and sad but those are often the most inspiring stories. It's my intention to report back to all of you with much thanks as I make my way through the lists i'm compiling. I hope others do the same if they are finding out about new reads. Like my wife's book clubs minus the 7 bottles of wine...
August 30th, 2014 at 12:30:08 PM permalink
scotty71
Quote: TheCesspit
Iain Banks' 'Complicity'. The best of novels, or 'Use of Weapons' the best of his science fiction (often found written under the name Iain M Banks).

cool, thanks. By the way I still laugh about the "picture" of yourself you posted many years back on WOV...too funny
September 1st, 2014 at 7:28:22 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
putting them on my list, thanks.

You're welcome. Let me know how it goes.

There's a third Bryson book called "At Home," which is a history of the home and the things found in it. Did you know at one time homes had no bathrooms? And that's' the least of it. But the limited focus renders it interesting mostly if you care about daily life in the old days.

Yesterday I downloaded George Gamow's "Mr. Tompkins in Paperback." The idea here is to explain modern physics, in particular relativity and quantum mechanics, by making them work in the macroscopic, slow realm we inhabit. For example, what if the speed of light were 15 miles per hour? Things like that. I've read snippets here and there and found them most interesting. I wonder why no one's made a movie of it yet, specifically why Disney himself never did...
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 3 of 5<12345>