What's up with the Steelers?

December 5th, 2012 at 12:06:20 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Nareed
BTW, has any rookie QB ever won a Superbowl?

I don't think so. Kurt is the only guy to do it in his first year as starter.

Luck might get there, but I suspect the Colts will come out short, like Ryan's Falcons, Ben's Steelers and Flacco's Ravens have done in the past.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
December 5th, 2012 at 1:31:13 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: TheCesspit
I don't think so. Kurt is the only guy to do it in his first year as starter.

The Rams had an awesome team that year. All Warner had to do was have a good season ("all," she says <w>). But of course, ding that in the NFL is really hard and takes a lot fo dedication and talent.

Quote:
Luck might get there, but I suspect the Colts will come out short, like Ryan's Falcons, Ben's Steelers and Flacco's Ravens have done in the past.

I had Luck in mind when I asked. He's being favorably contrasted against Peyton Manning's first season, but that's unfair. Manning arrived at a broken down Indy team, while Luck had a much better cast of characters with whom to work.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 5th, 2012 at 2:46:32 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator

IN all fairness, he comitted only 3 of the 8 turnovers (or 7, since th last had no effect).

That's not game management, you don't want to see high turnovers out of a game manager. Three is terrible for a game manager. If you have a dynamic quarterback, then there is some variance that often (though, not always) comes with that. Three picks from someone like Brees, Stafford, Manning, E., Cutler or Rivers...and there are others...may not mean they had an awful game. If you are a game manager and throw three picks, you're not making up for that on the TD's, big gains or yards-per-completion end, because that is not what game managers are about.

Quote:
BTW, has any rookie QB ever won a Superbowl?

No, in fact, only five have ever won a Playoff game. Shaun King, Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez and T.J. Yates.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 5th, 2012 at 2:47:44 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator

I had Luck in mind when I asked. He's being favorably contrasted against Peyton Manning's first season, but that's unfair. Manning arrived at a broken down Indy team, while Luck had a much better cast of characters with whom to work.

At 2-14, the Colts were not fantastic last year...
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 5th, 2012 at 6:43:05 PM permalink
TheCesspit
The Rams had an awesome team that year. All Warner had to do was have a good season ("all," she says <w>). But of course, ding that in the NFL is really hard and takes a lot fo dedication and talent.

Kurt had more than a 'good' year. He was league MVP. He threw 13 TDs in his first 4 games. 4300 yards in his first full season is the 45th best single season passing record (and was much higher when he set it, around top 15). He followed that up with in 2001 with a 4800 yard season. These are awesome numbers. Yes he had the support around him, but this is not a game manager stepping in and filling a whole (which Big Ben was doing in his first couple of seasons). This is a guy coming in and taking a team, and making it his own. The only other guy I can think of whose burst through and stick there is Brady.

The Rams had the greatest show on Turf, but that Offence needed a guy who could make all the right throws in the vertical to stretch the field. To have it in last years 3-stringer, a guy who'd come through from playing Arena Ball and NFL Europe was... unexpected. Martz has tried the Stretch Offence in other places, but he's lacked the cast of characters. Sure, Warner is one part of the equation, but not the only one. He went on to have another great year in Arizona 10 years later. Yeah, he had Fitz and the Q and Edge, but sometimes good players make each other look exceptional.

Quote:

The 2-14 Indy also lost a lot of it's weapons in the last two off seasons. The 1997 Colts went 3-13. They'd done alright in the couple of years before that, but hadn't built up the legacy Manning had.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
December 6th, 2012 at 7:40:14 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: TheCesspit
Kurt had more than a 'good' year. He was league MVP.

Settle down. Kurt Warner is my all-time favorite NFL player, bar none. I know his whole story, and the lengths to which he went to in order to play pro football.

But his career was marked by remarkably good seasons and as remarkably bad ones. Ergo the joke "all he had to do was have a good season." Menaing good for Warner. meaning outstanding as far as 99% of all the quarterbacks through all time are concerned.
December 9th, 2012 at 6:49:16 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Wow. Just wow.
December 9th, 2012 at 7:37:00 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Mosca
Wow. Just wow.

I'll be satisfied for the season if they beat Dallas.
December 14th, 2012 at 9:04:25 AM permalink
MakingBook
Threads: 1
The Steelers are well known for productive drafts. But the 2008 draft may be their worst:

RB Rashard Mendenhall
WR Limas Sweed
LB Bruce Davis
OT Tony Hills
QB Dennis Dixon
LB Mike Humpal
S Ryan Mundy

Mendenhall is surely gone after this year, leaving Mundy (backup) as only remaining player.
QB Dennis Dixon is still a backup somewhere, I believe. The rest of the players are probably
working at a car wash, or something similar.

By the way, great thread Nareed! Thanks!
December 14th, 2012 at 9:10:03 AM permalink
MakingBook
Threads: 1
I'll be satisfied for the season if they beat Dallas.

It's always fun beating the Cowboy's, but a win over the Bengals next week
is more important. The winner likely to grab the final Wildcard spot; the loser
probably out of the playoffs.