What's up with the Steelers?

Page 9 of 10« First<678910>
December 28th, 2012 at 8:39:34 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: TheCesspit
They were in real trouble when they lost their game manager in Big Ben.

Yes, but they managed to lose rather well after he came back. San Diego, Dallas and Cincinnatti are not what one would call powerhouses in the NFL.

I was glad when Bruce Aryans and his porous offensive line tactics left (he seems better at head coaching at that), but the offense is still a problem. And special teams need work, too. The defense can only do so much.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 28th, 2012 at 9:23:18 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Nareed
Yes, but they managed to lose rather well after he came back. San Diego, Dallas and Cincinnatti are not what one would call powerhouses in the NFL.

I was glad when Bruce Aryans and his porous offensive line tactics left (he seems better at head coaching at that), but the offense is still a problem. And special teams need work, too. The defense can only do so much.

In the Cowboys and Cinci games, they had a prayer. Without Ben, they had very little indeed. Losing to San Diego is comical, though.

Just like losing to Arizona (oops).
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
December 28th, 2012 at 2:24:53 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator

There's a difference between thinking Romney -should- win (for the good of the country, etc) and Romney -will- win. AZ was quite clear on his thoughts and arguments, whereas other posters were so insanely sure that Romney would win, I had to wonder if they'd watched an election before, or understood how polls like the 538 were working.

For the record, I thought taking 3:2 on a Romney win around a month before was a good bet, but would have wanted 2:1 with two weeks to go, and wouldn't have made any bets on with a week to go, unless someone offered me a dog for Obama to win.

This wasn't just Romney to win on his part, it was Romney to rack up 320+ Electoral Votes!!!

Quote:
y were in real trouble when they lost their game manager in Big Ben. I was surprised how awful they were with the back up QBs. They may draft a late round QB, and probably some help in the LB core.

I agree with that and was surprised to see how poorly Batch played in Ben's absence. I wouldn't be shocked to see him hang up the pads after this year, though, he's been around for quite some time.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 28th, 2012 at 3:34:51 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: Mission146
This wasn't just Romney to win on his part, it was Romney to rack up 320+ Electoral Votes!!!

Oh indeed, it was a big win bet, odd as Obama manage to win it that far himself.

Quote:
I agree with that and was surprised to see how poorly Batch played in Ben's absence. I wouldn't be shocked to see him hang up the pads after this year, though, he's been around for quite some time.

He was a early round draft pick for the Lions back in the 90's, as I recall... yep... he's older than me (which is old for a football player), and did hold the Lions 6th All time passing yardage record. Probably 7th now. But that's more on the life expectancy of a Lions QB than any great play by him.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
December 29th, 2012 at 4:33:21 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Oh indeed, it was a big win bet, odd as Obama manage to win it that far himself.

I was surprised by that, I wouldn't have taken 2:1 on Obama to break 320, though. I expected him to win Virginia OR Florida, but not both. I'd have taken 2:1 on him to break 300, though.

Quote:
He was a early round draft pick for the Lions back in the 90's, as I recall... yep... he's older than me (which is old for a football player), and did hold the Lions 6th All time passing yardage record. Probably 7th now. But that's more on the life expectancy of a Lions QB than any great play by him.

He was drafted in '98 and turned 38y.o. earlier this month. He has a strong reputation almost as another coach on the sidelines and as a strong mentor for young players. He's a class guy, but his contract for this year was only one year, so we'll see if Pittsburgh gives him another.

Stafford is 3rd now, so I suspect that Batch did drop down to 7th.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 29th, 2012 at 5:36:37 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
[..] and did hold the Lions 6th All time passing yardage record.

Isn't that like the 6th highest temperature recorded in Antarctica? :P
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 6th, 2013 at 8:08:13 AM permalink
MakingBook
Threads: 1
Steelers in 2013? Yes or No?

Of course, this list is not complete, but this is how I think it will play out:

Coaches-
Dick Lebeau- YES
Todd Haley- YES

Offense-
Charlie Batch- YES
Byron Leftwich- NO
Plaxico Burress- NO
Mike Wallace- NO
Emmanuel Sanders- YES
Rashard Mendenhall- NO
Max Starks- NO

Defense-
Larry Foote- YES
Casey Hampton- NO
Keenan Lewis- YES
James Harrison- YES

Anybody missing? What do they rest of you think?
January 7th, 2013 at 4:28:55 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I don't think they win the SB next year. I believe that they will make the Playoffs, however.
January 7th, 2013 at 4:52:31 PM permalink
TheCesspit
I think Batch retires this year. I expect him to end up as coaching assistant somewhere quite soon afterwards.
January 7th, 2013 at 7:38:58 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I agree with that, and I also believe he retires in the sense of, "Doesn't get offered another contract, but that fact is ignored by the media and he quietly announces his retirement to save face," and it should be that way, because he has been a pretty good player and (in my opinion) an exemplary human being. He should retire from playing with all of the dignity that can possibly be afforded him given his woeful performance in Roethlisberger's absence.

I could see him becoming a QB Coach and then rising through the ranks. I could especially see that with some team that drafts a QB or has a young QB, Batch has consistently been an excellent mentor for younger players. I honestly can't say enough for what I think of that guy, in terms of being a class act.
Page 9 of 10« First<678910>