Airbus 380

December 15th, 2015 at 9:46:28 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
At a rough guess I'd think it's like a 747 without the upper deck.

I think your right, partly based on the FAA maximum number of seats. It is very unusual to outfit these planes with anywhere near the maximum number of seats outside of Japanese domestic flights. Actually the 777-300ER is a slightly longer plane than the 747-8i which should give room for about 5 more rows of seats.

(Main deck limited to 550 seats and no upper deck) 242'4" length for B777-300ER
(Main deck limited to 550 seats and upper deck limited to 110) 231'10" length for B747-400
(Main deck limited to 495 seats and upper deck limited to 110) 224'5" length for B747-8i
(Main deck limited to 538 seats and upper deck limited to 315) 238'7" length for A380

Remember that FAA sets maximums based on evacuation time, they don't really do seat arrangements. The 28" pitch on Low Cost Airlines instead of the former standard of 32" is the airlines way of trying to squeeze closer to the FAA maximum, but seat pitch is not specified by the FAA.

The JAL123 flight that went down where the stabilizer fin was repaired improperly probably came apart early because the Japanese was flying the plane 6 times a day. Normally in the USA they take off and land once or twice per day.

There are vague discussions about a Boeing Y3 (Yellowstone #3), with seating capacity over 600, but it seems undecided if it will have an upper deck. I presume that to break the 550 seat barrier you will need a 5th set of exits.
December 15th, 2015 at 9:57:38 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Pacomartin
Remember that FAA sets maximums based on evacuation time, they don't really do seat arrangements.
Since evacuation drills often result in actual though minor injuries I think the FAA allows software emulation of an evacuation drill.

>>> because the Japanese was flying the plane 6 times a day. Normally in the USA they take off and land once or twice per day.
Really separate airplanes needing separate manuals. Duty Cycle is paramount for such studies.
December 15th, 2015 at 10:22:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
Since evacuation drills often result in actual though minor injuries I think the FAA allows software emulation of an evacuation drill.

I have heard that. Airbus is bragging about adding extra capacity to their current narrowbodies, and I heard the FAA was permitting software emulation

http://www.airbus.com/newsevents/news-events-single/detail/airbus-offers-added-seating-capacity-for-the-a320-family-while-retaining-modern-comfort-standards/

The new limits (by using the new exit door arrangement) will be
A320ceo (current engine option) 189 seats
A320neo (new engine option) 240 seats

Current seating on Airbus A320-200 (current engine option) for airlines that offer single class configuration (FAA limit 180 seats)
Allegiant Air 177 seats (only 3 together first row to avoid traffic jam at entrance)
Spirit Airlines 178 seats (only 4 across in first row for BIG SEAT option)
Volaris 174 seats (only 29 rows)
Viva Aerobus 180 seats (all 30 rows)
Interjet 150 seats (maintains 6 across but gives more legroom so 25 rows)

It is my understanding that the A320neo is the same cabin with only new engines. So in order to get 240 you may have standing room rows.

This configuration is 178 seat Spirit Airlines (30 rows) with 28" pitch.
December 16th, 2015 at 5:31:59 AM permalink
Pacomartin
There was a pretty extensive article on the neoA80 decision. No decision will be made until next year, and the article confirms what most people know (the 140 orders on the books officially are a sham). Singapore Airlines has now passed 8 (out of 10) year lease on their first 5 deliveries. Emirates has 12 year leases on all planes.

But Singapore airlines is obliged to return the A380s in “full life” condition -- meaning that their cabins, engines and other elements must be like new -- or make a payment of up to $25 million for each plane handed back without being refurbished. Right now they are averaging $20.5 million per plane per year in lease payments, so it is more than a year of lease to give them up without refurbishment.

So SIA is motivated to extend the lease. Emirates has stated up front that they don't want old planes and will not extend the lease at any cost.
December 16th, 2015 at 6:49:58 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
You know, my last flight on Interjet the gate agent kept mentioning "rows 20 to 26" when boarding the first section. I was sure it's only 25 rows.

But, I also noticed the plane had new seats, of the notorious slim line design. So maybe they managed to squeeze another row in. Which pushes the total to 156 pax. Or maybe they removed "13" from the row numbers and there are still 25, but the last one is called 26. I didn't check.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 16th, 2015 at 7:15:44 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Interjet has no row #13. For the A320
-------------------------Interjet -------------------------------------- Spirit Airlines

It is hard to see how you can get 189 seats without getting rid of coffee stands. It is really difficult to see how you can add ten more rows (240/6=40 row) without standing seats.
December 16th, 2015 at 9:40:45 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
Interjet has no row #13. For the A320

Ah.

Quote:
It is hard to see how you can get 189 seats without getting rid of coffee stands. It is really difficult to see how you can add ten more rows (240/6=40 row) without standing seats.

First remove the front galley and ad one row.

Then remove the aft lavatories and add 3 rows.

Next charge $5 for the front lavatory. Per use.

Then remove the aft galley and add two rows.

That's 6 rows w/36 seats!

Flight attendants won't be passing or selling snacks or drinks any more. There wont' be any onboard. so now you only need two, who will be designated "Safety personnel"

If you reduce pitch to 26 in the back four rows you won't be able to add anything more, but you can then charge a fee for "economy premium seats" for the rest of the plane.

Oh, and if you're late to the boarding gate, so you miss your group boarding, you need to pay a $10 late boarding fee. If you're on time, the fee is only a $5 on-time boarding fee.
December 16th, 2015 at 9:53:40 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Just getting an assigned seat is now an issue with my clients
Many airlines are now not allowing a passenger an assigned seat on the cheapest airfares
Delta is a good example of this
MSP TO LON pax paid 1101.90 E class. no seat assignment allowed till 24 hrs whithin flight
Go up to 1141.90 V class, Delta allows a seat assignment
You buy a cheap ticket months in advance not knowing where you will sit
Because the ticket is so cheap, your seat assignment will only be assigned 24 hours before the flight
On a crowded flight, that means middle seat.
Want an assigned seat when you buy a ticket, spend more for a more expensive fare and an airline will assign a seat ahead of time.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 16th, 2015 at 1:00:39 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: terapined
Just getting an assigned seat is now an issue with my clients

Allegiant Airlines Service Fee Seat Selection (Select your seat at the time of reservation.) is $0.00 to $80.00
Fees are per person, per segment, or both. A segment is one take-off and one landing.

While the top limit is pretty steep, the seat on a recent 100 minute flight was $12 each way.For a flight which is nominally $72.47 each way, I don't see how you can charge an $80 seat selection fee. I wonder what the requirements would be to charge that amount.

Trip Flex (Avoid most change and cancellation fees. Protect your travel purchase with Allegiant's Trip Flex.) Flight Only or Car Packages (per person, per segment)
$8 to $20 on fee table, $14 for the flight.

At least that fee has a reasonable upper limit.
December 16th, 2015 at 1:31:36 PM permalink
Nareed
While binge-reading aviation blogs, going back to 2009, I came across and item where Lufthansa would charge extra for premium economy seats, such as those at the bulkhead or the exit rows, but couldn't guarantee them. There were refunds, after the fact, bit come on! If you shell out extra money for a seat, you should get it.