Airbus 380

Page 4 of 32<1234567>Last »
September 15th, 2014 at 1:26:32 PM permalink
DRich
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 18
Posts: 716
Quote: boymimbo

I do look at equipment when I fly. I prefer wide-body 2-3-2 configurations when travelling with my wife with us taking a Window-Aisle. [/q


Grr!! I had a flight on Thursday on a 767 with its 2-3-2 seating. I was stuck in the middle seat from Las Vegas to Atlanta. Three and a half hours of hell.
September 25th, 2014 at 6:23:35 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 701
Posts: 8091
Qatar airlines just became the 12th airline to start A380 flights.


http://www.a380delivery.com/qatar-airways/

God it must be nice to have a business class that looks like that.


It is ludicrous that two airports 238 miles apart (Doha and Dubai) should compete to be global hubs,
September 25th, 2014 at 6:42:54 AM permalink
Nareed
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 317
Posts: 10808
Quote: Pacomartin
God it must be nice to have a business class that looks like that.


Makes you wonder what first class is like :)

I like the idea of not packing the plane solid with as many people as can be crammed into it. Still, since coach is probably packed in like a cattle car, it would be nice to have a coach section lounge.

Of course, if real supersonic passenger travel ever develops, then packed planes will be the norm. but then at least the trips will be short.
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
September 25th, 2014 at 7:06:16 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 701
Posts: 8091

First class is too much to even think about.


Singapore airlines has had those 1 day flights to Sao Paolo for about 3 years. There is an 80 minute turnaround in Barcelona, and 90 minutes in Sao Paolo.
SQ67 24Hrs 35Mins GRU 17:40 BCN 09:05+1 BCN 10:25 SIN 05:15+2
SQ68 26Hrs 00Mins SIN 01:10 BCN 08:40 BCN 10:00 GRU 16:10
(Boeing 777-300ER)
September 25th, 2014 at 11:30:53 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 23
Posts: 1929
Quote: Nareed
Makes you wonder what first class is like :)

I like the idea of not packing the plane solid with as many people as can be crammed into it. Still, since coach is probably packed in like a cattle car, it would be nice to have a coach section lounge.

Of course, if real supersonic passenger travel ever develops, then packed planes will be the norm. but then at least the trips will be short.


A lounge would be occupied most of the time by passengers, so it'd be like an upgrade for whoever got there first.

Simply put, you want more space, you gotta pay for it. Or go by rail the slow way...
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
September 25th, 2014 at 11:49:27 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 701
Posts: 8091
Quote: TheCesspit
A lounge would be occupied most of the time by passengers, so it'd be like an upgrade for whoever got there first.

Simply put, you want more space, you gotta pay for it. Or go by rail the slow way...



A small amount of oxygen would probably make a flight in economy much more comfortable, but I doubt that they would let you take it on the plane.
The people who need to move badly are the ones in economy. It's too bad you can't schedule a few minutes on a treadmill, just to get recharged.

With good wifi, the wealthy in europe are opting to travel via rail, where you are not as cramped, and the poor people are travelling by Low Cost airlines.
September 25th, 2014 at 6:38:26 PM permalink
Nareed
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 317
Posts: 10808
Quote: TheCesspit
A lounge would be occupied most of the time by passengers, so it'd be like an upgrade for whoever got there first.


Food for thought.
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
December 12th, 2014 at 2:51:09 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 101
Posts: 6408
Looks like the A380 might be dropped!

I can't call more than the timing a surprise. They looked at doing it with Boeing many years back and BA decided it was better to use two planes. Airbus went forward in the heady days of the late-1990s when they started to have BA on the ropes. With less need to make a profit, Airbus could do an "image" project like this.

Reality seems to have caught up, it almost always does. One has to wonder it the Chinese or Arabs will offer to buy off that part of Airbus. I could see them offer but Airbus refuse to sell.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
December 12th, 2014 at 10:07:04 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 701
Posts: 8091
Quote: AZDuffman
Reality seems to have caught up, it almost always does. One has to wonder it the Chinese or Arabs will offer to buy off that part of Airbus. I could see them offer but Airbus refuse to sell.


Boeing actually pulled out of the project in 1995, deciding the future was in twin engine aircraft.

There is very little interest in the A380 in China, but Asia/Pacific has ordered 244 of the new A350.

It would still take 4 years of production to fill all the orders for the Middle East for the A380.

Delivered A380's
Middle East 57
55 EMIRATES
2 QATAR AIRWAYS

Asia Pacific 60
19 SINGAPORE AIRLINES
12 QANTAS AIRWAYS
10 KOREAN AIR
6 MALAYSIA AIRLINES
6 THAI AIRWAYS INTERNATIONAL
5 CHINA SOUTHERN AIRLINES COMPANY
2 ASIANA AIRLINES

Europe 30
12 LUFTHANSA
10 AIR FRANCE
8 BRITISH AIRWAYS


Chief financial officer Harald Wilhelm started the speculation frenzy when reports emerged that he had told investors Airbus might have to discontinue the plane unless it can invest in improvements to make it more attractive to customers.

How can you start a frenzy by stating the obvious?
December 12th, 2014 at 10:30:56 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 101
Posts: 6408
Quote: Pacomartin
Boeing actually pulled out of the project in 1995, deciding the future was in twin engine aircraft.

There is very little interest in the A380 in China, but Asia/Pacific has ordered 244 of the new A350.


The public always buys the nonsense the aircraft manufacturers show of an open cabin with a piano bar they can hang out in during the flight. Reality is that the airlines will just use every extra inch to shoehorn in more and more cattle, er, passengers and even if there was that cool piano bar the drinks would cost $25+ to justify using all that real estate for said bar. However, look for another manufacturer to show a fancy piano bar in another huge aircraft one day and the public then to bite just as it always does.

In the next 10-20 years I look for China to muscle in to the aircraft manufacture biz. I don't buy that their GDP is bigger than ours with this "parity" nonsense. But I do think they are of the size where they will soon ask why they are buying Yankee and Euro aircraft. At first they may sell only to third world countries, but give it time.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
Page 4 of 32<1234567>Last »