Ghostbusters 3 — All-female cast?

Page 1 of 3123>
September 8th, 2014 at 11:21:24 PM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
"Ghostbusters 3" will have "a very strong female presence"

So the rumor is that "Ghostbusters 3" will have an all-female cast. I'm sorry, but is this not the dumbest idea around??? The producers need to take a look at the ratings for the WNBA...lol

I know, I know...some people are gonna say that this is sexist, but let's face it, the public (including women!) does not want to watch women play basketball, nor do they want to see movies with an all-female cast. That's a surefire way to kill ratings!
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
September 9th, 2014 at 7:19:44 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Beethoven
I know, I know...some people are gonna say that this is sexist, but let's face it, the public (including women!) does not want to watch women play basketball, nor do they want to see movies with an all-female cast.

The fact that the film business is male dominated is well known. As a matter of fact if you list the top 100 film directors by domestic box office of their films, there is a single woman on the list (ranked #98).

Betty Thomas (#98) made the list with 7 films she directed, but the two big ones were.
12/23/09 Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel
6/26/98 Doctor Dolittle

Top grossing film directors and their highest grossing film
1 Steven Spielberg-E.T.
2 Michael Bay-Transformers 2
3 Robert Zemeckis- Forrest Gump
4 James Cameron-Avatar
5 Peter Jackson-Return of the King
6 Ron Howard-The Grinch
7 George Lucas-The Phantom Menace
8 Tim Burton -Alice in Wonderland
9 Chris Columbus-Harry Potter / Sorcerer's Stone
10 Christopher Nolan-The Dark Knight
September 9th, 2014 at 11:06:23 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin
The fact that the film business is male dominated is well known. As a matter of fact if you list the top 100 film directors by domestic box office of their films, there is a single woman on the list (ranked #98).

Betty Thomas (#98) made the list with 7 films she directed, but the two big ones were.
12/23/09 Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel
6/26/98 Doctor Dolittle

Top grossing film directors and their highest grossing film
1 Steven Spielberg-E.T.
2 Michael Bay-Transformers 2
3 Robert Zemeckis- Forrest Gump
4 James Cameron-Avatar
5 Peter Jackson-Return of the King
6 Ron Howard-The Grinch
7 George Lucas-The Phantom Menace
8 Tim Burton -Alice in Wonderland
9 Chris Columbus-Harry Potter / Sorcerer's Stone
10 Christopher Nolan-The Dark Knight

Wow, Penny Marshall is not on the list. She has directed some good movies, Big, Awakenings, A league of their own.

I love Womens basketball. I follow the Md Women Terrapins Basketball team.
Mosca here also follows Womens basketball. I lost 2 bets to him on Womens basketball games .
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 9th, 2014 at 4:51:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Does anybody want to see the old
geezers from the orig 30 year old movie
in a remake? They were too old when
they did the 2nd one.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 9th, 2014 at 11:55:54 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Heck, I didn't see Ghostbusters 1 or Ghostbusters 2, so why not make Ghostbusters3 female leads only.
September 10th, 2014 at 12:58:24 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined
Wow, Penny Marshall is not on the list. She has directed some good movies, Big, Awakenings, A league of their own.

"Big" was the 4th biggest movie of 1988, and the Penny Marshall was the first woman to direct a movie that made over $100 million. Four years later, "A League of Their Own" was ranked #10. But since these ratings use unadjusted dollars they favor people with more recent credits. Penny Marshall is in the top 150 on the list.

"Big" sold 27.97 million tickets, but in 1988 foreign gross for the film was only 1/3 of domestic

That would compare favorably with hits of this year for domestic sales
Transformers: Age of Extinction Par. 29.38 million
Maleficent BV 28.72 million
X-Men: Days of Future Past Fox 28.05 million

But of course Transformers made more money in China than in Northern America, and foreign gross was almost 4X domestic gross.

In 2013, three women directed studio-driven, wide-released feature films: Tyler Perry Presents Peeples (May 10), directed by Tina Gordon Chism, Carrie (Oct. 18), directed by Kimberly Peirce, and Disney's animated feature Frozen (Nov. 27), co-directed by Jennifer Lee alongside Chris Buck.

Jennifer Yuh Nelson directed Kung Fu Panda 2, which sold 20.52 million domestic tickets and grossed 3X as much in foreign over domestic. It was a first time effort and to date the highest grossing film directed by a woman.
September 10th, 2014 at 12:21:33 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Ghostbusters 3 is a mythical movie which I don't think will be made. They've had 25 years already and Bill Murray is hard to get a hold of people say. An all female cast is too vague a subject to automatically be sure of the outcome without knowing more. Sounds dumb a little, but there is more to a movie than this. I'm not likely to see any movie in a theater myself and don't know what demographic is.
September 10th, 2014 at 1:36:02 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
Ghostbusters 3 is a mythical movie which I don't think will be made.

Maybe so.

But "The Real Ghostbusters" ought to be out on DVD. Some episodes were quite good.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 10th, 2014 at 5:32:20 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Quote: Nareed
Maybe so.

But "The Real Ghostbusters" ought to be out on DVD. Some episodes were quite good.
I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I will assume some kind of ghost hunters show. My opinion they're all fake and staged like professional wrestling. They all lie.
September 10th, 2014 at 6:03:48 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I will assume some kind of ghost hunters show.

Not at all ;)

It's the animated TV version of Ghostbusters, complete with Egon, Jeanine, Peter, and the rest, even the reconverted 60s ambulance. Some episodes were written by J. Michael Straczynski, who'd later develop Babylon 5.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 1 of 3123>