Truck Resto Rant

Page 2 of 11<12345>Last »
September 11th, 2014 at 8:36:20 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Well at least the steelhead will have a chance to reproduce while you are doing this
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 13th, 2014 at 10:03:59 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: petroglyph
Well at least the steelhead will have a chance to reproduce while you are doing this

Lol...good thought!

Boy, Face, your truck looks strange with the bed off.

Glad you're finding this to be worthwhile and productive. I'm sure we'll find the new thread interesting as well.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
September 13th, 2014 at 10:32:44 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: beachbumbabs
I'm sure we'll find the new thread interesting as well.

It just got a lot more "interesting".

My truck is apart to the point it's not drivable, and guess which unemployed and uninsured fellow done broke his shoulder at hockey yesterday?

May you live in interesting times, indeed.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 13th, 2014 at 11:24:13 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Face

My truck is apart to the point it's not drivable, and guess which unemployed and uninsured fellow done broke his shoulder at hockey yesterday?

I guess someone high sticked you.

Why don't you rig up a GoPro camera, a drop light and some tools as you film how you do all this repair work ...then put it on you tube, in your own channel, on which you sell advertising space?
September 13th, 2014 at 11:53:58 PM permalink
petroglyph
I was going to say something about a dump flatdeck before you sanded out the bed, I really like working off a flatdeck. Easier for quads, load off the side etc.

What must you have to run it besides mud flaps and tailights? You didn't rip the front end apart or something before hockey did you?

I hope you got some friends that will help, is it time to head out west and hustle some vp?

What are we still short 300k to run the baja or therabouts?

I kinda miss being bulletproof.
September 14th, 2014 at 9:50:50 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6

May you live in interesting times, indeed.

Oh, holy s*&+, Face. Not even COBRA from your last job? I bet you're sore as hell, figuratively and literally. My sympathies; PM if you need help.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
September 14th, 2014 at 10:14:12 AM permalink
Face
Quote: Fleastiff
I guess someone high sticked you.

Why don't you rig up a GoPro camera, a drop light and some tools as you film how you do all this repair work ...then put it on you tube, in your own channel, on which you sell advertising space?

Was tripped on a breakaway, went head first into the boards. Suppose I count myself lucky that I can still walk and ain't in a chair.

I'm not too familiar with profitable YouTubes. Perhaps something to look into.

Quote: petroglyph
I was going to say something about a dump flatdeck before you sanded out the bed, I really like working off a flatdeck. Easier for quads, load off the side etc.

What must you have to run it besides mud flaps and tailights? You didn't rip the front end apart or something before hockey did you?

I hope you got some friends that will help, is it time to head out west and hustle some vp?

What are we still short 300k to run the baja or therabouts?

I kinda miss being bulletproof.

No flat beds. I always toss stuff in and roll, I'd hate to have to tie down every single thing I tote.

Tail lights and fenders is pretty much it. I suppose I could peel the harness out one handed to get it lit, but I'd still have no fenders. I don't want to blast the rear of my cab or the window with debris off the tires.

This might be a Baja blessing, though. A 600+ hp 572ci would fit behind the cab nicely. $20k for that, beef up the suspension, new rims and tires... we could do it for a 5 digit price tag. I've already begun the labor, so... =)
September 14th, 2014 at 12:05:27 PM permalink
Face
Quote: beachbumbabs
Oh, holy s*&+, Face. Not even COBRA from your last job? I bet you're sore as hell, figuratively and literally. My sympathies; PM if you need help.

Insurance is a rip. I took that COBRA letter and put it where it belongs. Right in the trash =p

I don't need $5k in scans to tell me not to move it. I'll be able to tell if I tore something in about a week. If not, it heals for free.

If you're accepting help requests, send a week of 70* in the beginning of Nov. so I can finish this truck =p
September 14th, 2014 at 12:16:02 PM permalink
petroglyph
Insurance is a rip. I took that COBRA letter and put it where it belongs. Right in the trash =p

I don't need $5k in scans to tell me not to move it. I'll be able to tell if I tore something in about a week. If not, it heals for free.

If you're accepting help requests, send a week of 70* in the beginning of Nov. so I can finish this truck =p

Are you sure 70 will be enough? Might be able to do 85 or 90 with around 30%H?

Throw this out as a possible alternative?

I know people in similar situations have used chiropractors for the xray, they tend to be more amenable to negotiating fees, some can use a tuning fork to check for broken bones.

Also, this. I know friends have used a veterinarian, much cheaper. Our bodies are very similar to animals in many respects.

Of course this advice isn't meant to be taken seriously or tried at home for fear someone might be an attorney or belong to the ama.
September 14th, 2014 at 3:45:39 PM permalink
Face
I went to Tampa for 2hrs a few weeks ago. I've been in sweat lodges that were more comfortable. 60-70*F would be perfect for the sort of manual labor I need to do.

You must realize, now, that any advice you give me that "isn't meant to be taken seriously" needs to be left unsaid ;) I think both of those are great ideas, if I decide a scan is needed. Hell, I just found xray machines on the Googles for $445. Could take care of myself and open up further side hustles to boot XD

A few days has shown a lot, though. I've (un?)fortunately been through this enough to know what stuff feels like. I'm like 9-0-1 in diagnosing myself before going to the ER. This one hurt too much when I did it and doesn't hurt enough now to be broken. The pain is all wrong. I started thinking dislocation yesterday afternoon and the evidence to support it keeps piling up. I'm even starting to think nothing is torn, but that's just as much wishful thinking as it is a hypothesis.

I'll keep sitting, waiting, wishing; hopefully it continues to improve at this rate.

(But really, I'm thinking we can do the Baja for $80k or less, maybe even around $50k if you want to take a chance on minimal spares =))
Page 2 of 11<12345>Last »