Truck Resto Rant

September 29th, 2014 at 4:23:16 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
LOL, I noticed I have you in my mind ever since doing the race car. Every time I go to cut a corner, I always remind myself not to be "Mr. Demon" XD

Except for the injury messing up the time frame, this is way better than a shop. A Maaco slop job runs about $400-$600, and that's just for a respray. A color change? All that prep work is gonna put it over a grand. Add in the body work for the rot and the dents and it would've been not only unaffordable, but not worth spending the money.

To be "Mr Demon" you would need to sand off over 1 gallon of filler trying to blend the quarter panels as well as buy top tier paint then let it sit for over a year, but I am always happy when my experiences inspire someone else.

Yes, a good shop will run about a grand to walk in the door. Gone are the days when you could get a quick shoot of enamel to make the 4 year old car feel new because it had a new color. There is a "new" Earl Sheib shop a few miles form me, they are all just using the name now as the "old" one finally went kaput. Why anyone would pay $1 or more to use that name amazes me. Maaco has a decent rep now, but the labor cost is out of sight. The idea of being a "body man" is not what it once was as now they mostly just bolt on new parts.
The President is a fink.
September 30th, 2014 at 1:13:22 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
That was an all-time classic great rant. Put that one in the memory book. Poor Face.....have you stopped jittering yet?

also, re:
As an aside: Babs, I say we in-house the livery for TreeTop airlines. I was thinking Richthofen for our bush plane division, and a nice P40 get up for the larger airframes. Lemme do it and I'll give no quarrel out sourcing the mechanics ;)

Absolutely. I have a great fondness for a masterful paint job. Great sales tool. Be memorable.

If you're willing to take the same care in painting other guys' babies that you do your own, seems to me like it could be a lucrative choice for you.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
October 1st, 2014 at 10:38:50 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: beachbumbabs
That was an all-time classic great rant. Put that one in the memory book. Poor Face.....have you stopped jittering yet?

Fortunately yes, but it messed me up all day. Following that, I left and went camping for the weekend. Rode some wheelers, hung out. Didn't want to go anywhere near it lol. I dunno. I lose it sometimes =p

In project news, I went and mucked it all up lol. My mistake of not doing the roof in the original shoot really screwed me.

Same as the hood, I just couldn't stop. I got the roof done and done well, but doing the edge of the roof obviously involved the tops of the doors. It also caused the same sort of "sticky dust" from the overspray, which obviously fell onto the hood. So I gave another whack on the tops of the doors in an attempt to blend, resprayed the hood to absorb the dust, and spraying the hood led to the fenders where I finally ended it. It's the "end" that ruined it. All of the respray went on liquid smooth, but the edges are loaded with overspray and gives it a matte look. Even in the poor lighting of the garage it's completely noticeable.

Chalk it up to inexperience =p

So now I'm in a hole wondering how to dig out. Technically, I should re-sand the entire thing and re-shoot it all as one. I'm not lamenting the labor, I could do it all today. But once sanded it needs a wash, and I am NOT re-taping the whole damn thing over again. So I dunno whether to just shoot it and hope, or lightly scuff it and just wipe it down.

Decisions, decisions. Do it right, or just do it. Do what I want, or do what I should. Which path will I choose...
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 1st, 2014 at 11:07:20 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Fortunately yes, but it messed me up all day. Following that, I left and went camping for the weekend. Rode some wheelers, hung out. Didn't want to go anywhere near it lol. I dunno. I lose it sometimes =p

In project news, I went and mucked it all up lol. My mistake of not doing the roof in the original shoot really screwed me.

Same as the hood, I just couldn't stop. I got the roof done and done well, but doing the edge of the roof obviously involved the tops of the doors. It also caused the same sort of "sticky dust" from the overspray, which obviously fell onto the hood. So I gave another whack on the tops of the doors in an attempt to blend, resprayed the hood to absorb the dust, and spraying the hood led to the fenders where I finally ended it. It's the "end" that ruined it. All of the respray went on liquid smooth, but the edges are loaded with overspray and gives it a matte look. Even in the poor lighting of the garage it's completely noticeable.

Chalk it up to inexperience =p

So now I'm in a hole wondering how to dig out. Technically, I should re-sand the entire thing and re-shoot it all as one. I'm not lamenting the labor, I could do it all today. But once sanded it needs a wash, and I am NOT re-taping the whole damn thing over again. So I dunno whether to just shoot it and hope, or lightly scuff it and just wipe it down.

Decisions, decisions. Do it right, or just do it. Do what I want, or do what I should. Which path will I choose...

Growing up my dad never let forget that the final paint job will be no better than the prep. He once did prep to make a scheib job look acceptable.
The President is a fink.
October 1st, 2014 at 11:18:12 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Never had that problem with a nine inch medium nap roller, just sayin......lol
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 1st, 2014 at 11:19:09 AM permalink
Face
Quote: AZDuffman
Growing up my dad never let forget that the final paint job will be no better than the prep. He once did prep to make a scheib job look acceptable.

Yup. Prep is everything. Probably 75% of the finished product is everything you do before the paint's even been mixed. 20% is post paint, the wet sanding and buffing. The actual painting itself is something a monkey could do. Basically don't pile it on so it doesn't run, and get good coverage. Easy.

Just rereading a bit made my decision. No sense in doing all this just to make it terrible, I gotta do it proper. So now, I'm off to sand.
October 1st, 2014 at 4:08:35 PM permalink
Face
The actual painting itself is something a monkey could do.

I guess thanks for no one jumping all over this, since, you know, I was repainting the entire thing because I, well,... messed up the paint =p

All done. That was what, 4 maybe 5 hours?

The sanding was fine. It's easy just doing a scuff job. But I noticed a bit of crystallization, more than I first suspected. Maybe I'll be wet sanding after all =p

The biggest problem this time is getting things sterile. I didn't make much dust, but even the little bit needs to comes off. So I wipe it down, but now it's all linty. Brush it off with my hand and now it's oily. Wipe it down again and it's all linty =p Even when washing I always end up with little lint piles in certain places, and they were there this time too. No option but to paint them in. Ah well.

And of course, a bitty mosquito decided now was the perfect time to die and did so right on my hood. He's mine now, I have him =p Suppose I'll wait until the paint's not tacky and go scrape him off.

I might have a bit of an over spray boo-boo where I might have failed to get a good blend between hood and fender, but that could as easily be the atrocious lighting. Whatever. Buff what I can and to hell with the rest. The passenger side is also a mystery; it's just too cramped on that side. I can't even extend my arm, instead painting with my elbow against my sides. We'll see tomorrow when I pull her outside.

Fishing tomorrow and then it's time for the bed. I expect that to be much easier than what I've done so far.
October 1st, 2014 at 4:15:55 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I guess thanks for no one jumping all over this, since, you know, I was repainting the entire thing because I, well,... messed up the paint =p

All done. That was what, 4 maybe 5 hours?

The sanding was fine. It's easy just doing a scuff job. But I noticed a bit of crystallization, more than I first suspected. Maybe I'll be wet sanding after all =p

The biggest problem this time is getting things sterile. I didn't make much dust, but even the little bit needs to comes off. So I wipe it down, but now it's all linty. Brush it off with my hand and now it's oily. Wipe it down again and it's all linty =p Even when washing I always end up with little lint piles in certain places, and they were there this time too. No option but to paint them in. Ah well.

And of course, a bitty mosquito decided now was the perfect time to die and did so right on my hood. He's mine now, I have him =p Suppose I'll wait until the paint's not tacky and go scrape him off.

I might have a bit of an over spray boo-boo where I might have failed to get a good blend between hood and fender, but that could as easily be the atrocious lighting. Whatever. Buff what I can and to hell with the rest. The passenger side is also a mystery; it's just too cramped on that side. I can't even extend my arm, instead painting with my elbow against my sides. We'll see tomorrow when I pull her outside.

Fishing tomorrow and then it's time for the bed. I expect that to be much easier than what I've done so far.

I'm sure you'll be glad you took the time to do it right.

Re: mosquito immortalized in your paint job. I had an involuntary hood ornament yesterday. Big spotted anole (lizard) wandered out of the grille and put his nose to the wind on the hood as I was travelling US1 at 45mph. Must have really good toe-suckers on those things. Pulled over on a side street and spent 5 minutes trying to convince him to jump off; he just kept running from one side of the hood to the other. I finally gave up and let him lead me where I was headed. Once we got there, he jumped off into the garden. Hope he likes his new home!
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
October 1st, 2014 at 4:16:51 PM permalink
AZDuffman
I

Why not hit it with some kind of furniture dusting in a can with little to no wax in it?
The President is a fink.
October 1st, 2014 at 4:29:35 PM permalink
Face
Quote: AZDuffman
Why not hit it with some kind of furniture dusting in a can with little to no wax in it?

I haven't messed with paint enough. Seeing what some things do (gas, grease, sweat, water) makes me unwilling to do anything but an acetone strip before painting.

If I'm confused and you're talking that "air in a can" stuff similar to what's used to dust out a computer, then that doesn't work. Even hitting it with 150psi out of the air dust tool doesn't remove it.