Truck Resto Rant

Page 10 of 11« First<7891011>
October 12th, 2014 at 9:01:45 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: petroglyph
Quote: Face
You keep taunting me and this little inside joke is gonna end with a phone call telling you to get your plane tickets and bring the beer money.

It can be done. I could build us a ride from scratch. Including price of truck, I could keep it under $10k. Don't mess with me ;)

That's pretty cool about the factory 150, I wonder if going down to the dealer here and getting one and running the baja would void the warranty? I think they would let me take one off the lot for nothin down, now that is way under 10k. With any luck just leave the keys in it when done and chances are I wouldn't have to worry about making the first payment. jk

Another thing to help make the trip +ev is stop and get some dental work done in ensenadas for 1/3. I think I have talked myself into worse ideas. And, more expensive.

Lots going on right now in Lake Havasu, world jet ski competition, and Lucas drag boat races this month. The high temps right now are around 100, and dry.

http://www.golakehavasu.com/events/upcomingevents.aspx. No steelies, but there is a $ fishing competition it seems every week, It was just in the paper that our lake is one of the ten best in the country for fishing. I find that hard to believe, but it was in the paper so I know it's true.

The boats are doing qualifying today. The events are about 4-5 miles from our house and when they run the volume here is amazing.

I believe the best can do 260mph in one thousand feet in about 3 seconds. Adrenaline for sure.

I have a friend who built and raced drag boats, he lost his leg when one of them flipped on him. That was one hell of a boat, though.

I'm having a hard time linking images, here's the link. I know how to do images, it's an iPad thing that is acting up.

http://www.marine31online.com/gallery/1970-sanger-flat-bottom-v-drive-drag-boat-by-mike-phillips/p359-1970-sanger-flat-bottom-v-drive-drag-boat-by-mike-phillips.html
October 12th, 2014 at 9:30:37 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Mosca

I have a friend who built and raced drag boats, he lost his leg when one of them flipped on him. That was one hell of a boat, though.

I'm having a hard time linking images, here's the link. I know how to do images, it's an iPad thing that is acting up.

http://www.marine31online.com/gallery/1970-sanger-flat-bottom-v-drive-drag-boat-by-mike-phillips/p359-1970-sanger-flat-bottom-v-drive-drag-boat-by-mike-phillips.html

So... an alcohol fueled, V8 canoe, basically? O.o
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 12th, 2014 at 10:00:21 AM permalink
Face
All this talk about Ebay made me go browse around....

SIXTEEN FIVE, PETRO!
October 12th, 2014 at 10:07:35 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Mosca
You keep taunting me and this little inside joke is gonna end with a phone call telling you to get your plane tickets and bring the beer money.

It can be done. I could build us a ride from scratch. Including price of truck, I could keep it under $10k. Don't mess with me ;)

That's pretty cool about the factory 150, I wonder if going down to the dealer here and getting one and running the baja would void the warranty? I think they would let me take one off the lot for nothin down, now that is way under 10k. With any luck just leave the keys in it when done and chances are I wouldn't have to worry about making the first payment. jk

Another thing to help make the trip +ev is stop and get some dental work done in ensenadas for 1/3. I think I have talked myself into worse ideas. And, more expensive.

Lots going on right now in Lake Havasu, world jet ski competition, and Lucas drag boat races this month. The high temps right now are around 100, and dry.

http://www.golakehavasu.com/events/upcomingevents.aspx. No steelies, but there is a $ fishing competition it seems every week, It was just in the paper that our lake is one of the ten best in the country for fishing. I find that hard to believe, but it was in the paper so I know it's true.

The boats are doing qualifying today. The events are about 4-5 miles from our house and when they run the volume here is amazing.

I believe the best can do 260mph in one thousand feet in about 3 seconds. Adrenaline for sure.

Thanks for sharing!

In a couple photo's that looks like the guy with the prosthetic leg standing by the boat. Does he still run them? Good for him.

That is a beautiful boat and certainly looks like an adrenaline creator, and bit scary really. Don't ever stop doing what you love as long as your physically able.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 12th, 2014 at 4:08:29 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I have never heard of soda or CO2. And here I thought I had a good pile of redneck cheats.

Soda: Its ordinary baking soda (but rather fine) being used to "sand blast" but at exceedingly wimpy pressures.
CO2: Its taking a tank of CO2 and turning it into tiny pellets (80 percent is wasted) then the tiny pellets are blasted onto the paint and once again its quite likely to be at wimpy pressures or perhaps a bit more (you do wear an apron while doing it or else Ash might complain). The solid little pellet strikes the paint and turns directly from a solid pellet back into carbon dioxide gas. Going from a solid to a gas is called sublimation. The process creates a tiny little "sonic boom" that lifts the paint right off the (metal, wood, glass) but doesn't make the EPA any too happy about the air quality.
October 14th, 2014 at 3:49:50 PM permalink
Face
I don't think the soda would be economically wise. I saw it's $32 for 10lbs, while good ol' blasting media is $45 for 50lbs. Maybe it goes farther or is easier to clean up, I dunno. Maybe this is why I haven't heard of it.

Just here to tidy things up. The runny gate needed fixing so I spent yesterday smoothing out the runs and then scuffing the whole thing. The bumper had to get done, too. While the grey and chrome of the front just looks "stupid", the flat and rusty bumper was pure gross. So with both in and ready, I gave them their acetone wipe and set to work.

I of course was out of my handy dandy stuff, so I had to first create a measuring cup. A plain plastic cup, a kitchen measuring cup, and a marker did the trick. Measure an ounce of water, pour it into the plain plastic, and make a mark. Cheap and easy.

I even managed to again guestimate the exact amount I needed for the job. And since there wasn't a ton of spraying, clean up went a little faster (it's still catastrophically mundane, that part). The final straw came just after. Just about the exact moment I plugged in the gun to blast a bit of acetone for the final bit of cleaning, a gust of wind picked up my shirt and plopped the sleeve dead on the wet paint. Sodding wind >< I pulled it off but it left little cotton fibres in the paint. I said to hell with it. I didn't touch it, instead letting them dry in. I figure that little bit will wear off with time, washing, and buffing. So stupid ><

So here's the rear, all done up nice. You can see what I mean now about the shadow effect leaving those decals on.

And of course, as promised, making EB happy =)

And that does it. No more projects except dumb stuff like winterizing the house, boat, and shed. I suspect I'll be back when the snow falls to write up rebuilding the race motor. Until next time! =)
October 14th, 2014 at 4:03:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Now you just need to darken the tires and you're
done. Here's tutorial and will make a huge difference
in appearance.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/how-to-clean-and-shine-your-tires/
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 14th, 2014 at 4:24:48 PM permalink
Face
Quote: Evenbob
Now you just need to darken the tires and you're
done. Here's tutorial and will make a huge difference
in appearance.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/how-to-clean-and-shine-your-tires/

Oh, I'm familiar. Used to be a wiz at removing clay stains, always had my bike tires liquid black. But it became too much a pain in the ass for the bike, as even one molecule of that stuff on the treads was too much going at the speeds we went at. And I hated the oily splotches on the rims of my truck from the over spray. As a result, I just stopped using it.

I'll check my Shelf of Many Things, but I'm pretty sure I don't have any.
October 14th, 2014 at 6:01:40 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Very easy to clean up soda blasting. You would never want to sand blast an engine for fear of leaving a few particles of sand in it, whereas you are fine leaving a few particles of baking soda in an engine. Commercial rates for soda blasting are usually half what sand blasting is.
March 9th, 2016 at 2:52:35 PM permalink
Face
Has it really been a year and a half? O.o

Figured an update was in order. It appears I did "OK". I never had any bubbling or peeling that seems to plague all the wash and shoot joints. I had one small dot that flaked off right at the weather strip, maybe the size of, I dunno, a tic tac. Maybe I touched it, maybe I missed it with the cleaning, who knows. But other than that one little prick, not one single part of the paint gave up easily. No bubbles, no chips, no flakes, nothing. I've whacked it a couple times with somewhat hard and heavy stuff, like my loaded hockey bag. It marred, naturally, but didn't scratch off or anything ultra stupid.

The hubs, grille, and other very high wear areas did start to chip, but it was well into a year before they did so. As they are getting the full brunt of all manner of debris, and they were plastic, I was satisfied. The front of my hood, which gets blasted only slightly less than the grille, has still refused to chip. Not bad.

Even the rear bumper, which went to rust first and has bled through some 3 or 4 times after giving it the Krylon touch has, as of yet, remained unblemished by the cancer. That was very surprising, and I'm very happy about it. It's such a pain in the ass to address, and now I don't have to =)

And I suppose that's the "good".

The bad is that the paint just wasn't as robust as factory, or perhaps I used too few layers. The hyper wear areas of the bottom of the fender / rocker panels are blasted clean and completely brown with old rust. And almost any other area that I ground down to raw metal likewise has begun to rot. There was the big dent in the bed, the rot/bondo on the one door, the fuel cap, and the corner of the tailgate. If I ground all the paint down, it's now rusting again despite the cleaning, the sealing, the cleaning, the painting. I don't know what I could've done different, despite moving to a salt or snow free state. It's just the pits here =/

Sooo, it looks like the "work" I hoped to avoid, that being the yearly grinding and painting of problem areas, is something I'm still gonna have to do. The silver lining (which may well be end up the actual treasure) is that for all the rot and rust I lament, it's all mostly still rock solid. I did have that corner I had to rebuild, as well as the bottom of that door, but all the rest is whole. Having seen many Silverados of my year, all of which have gaping holes and parts falling off, it appears the investment of time and cash has been an overall good bet =)

That being said, I think the yearly spring time ritual of simple grinding and a spot of Krylon, though quite ugly, is Good Enough to delay the super rot that makes parts fall off and holes emerge. It may take the better part of an entire day to do, but based off what I see on the road, I have already extended at least the body of this thing by a handful of years.

6hrs and a $5 can of Krylon is worth a year. I would not respray a daily driver again =)
Page 10 of 11« First<7891011>