Scottish independence -- How would you vote?

Page 1 of 61234>Last »
Poll
No votes (0%)
5 votes (62.5%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (37.5%)

8 members have voted

September 14th, 2014 at 8:08:16 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
This Thursday Scotland will vote to declare independence from the rest of the United Kingdom. If you lived in Scotland, how would you vote?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 14th, 2014 at 8:25:02 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Probably smart on their part so they can control their own destiny and not be dragged deeper into the EU or get overrun with an immigration problem. Meanwhile they will still be able to get 99% of the benefits they have now.
The President is a fink.
September 14th, 2014 at 9:42:55 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: AZDuffman
Probably smart on their part so they can control their own destiny and not be dragged deeper into the EU or get overrun with an immigration problem. Meanwhile they will still be able to get 99% of the benefits they have now.

Why ain't Wales voting to break up?
Because North Sea Oil ain't off the coast of Wales, its off the coast of Scotland.
September 14th, 2014 at 9:54:24 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I think Scotland will vote to stay within the UK or however the question is phrased. The long term benefits of being conjoined outweigh the reactionary idea of independence. I'm about 1/8th Scottish, but can't claim I know the issues well enough to make a solid prediction.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
September 14th, 2014 at 9:58:43 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
Why ain't Wales voting to break up?
Because North Sea Oil ain't off the coast of Wales, its off the coast of Scotland.

Why not? Oil wealth makes smaller nations far more viable.

The question is, what side will Roddy Piper come out in favor of?
The President is a fink.
September 14th, 2014 at 11:05:34 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Wizard
This Thursday Scotland will vote to declare independence from the rest of the United Kingdom. If you lived in Scotland, how would you vote?

No. Sadly, I don't have voting rights in Scotland, just England. I would have voted yes to further devolution and a more provincial format for the nations.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
September 14th, 2014 at 11:47:23 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman

If you believe any of that will happen I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

Scotland has been unified under one monarch since 1603. The parliaments have been unified since 1707. In that time a lot has happened in europe. Italy was unified from a lot of little states (Naples, Venice, Papal states, Tuscany, etc) and Germany was unified from dozens of tiny states. Greece broke off from the Ottoman Empire. Ireland was conquered by Great Britain, and became independent. Norway declared freedom from Sweden. Belgium Kingdom broke into Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg, Romania and Bulgaria broke from the Austro-Hapsburg Empire, and Poland broke from Lithuania.

The past is the past. There is no stopping globalization. You can celebrate the past with festivals, songs, clothing, and tourism sites, but it can't be easily shoe-horned into modern politics, global finance, or modern military.

You can't bring back the Kingdom of Hawaii, the Iroquois Nation, or the Seminole nation. They won't fit in the 21st century.

This anthem is only 50 years old.

If you prefer more militancy...
September 14th, 2014 at 11:52:53 AM permalink
TheCesspit
It's nonsense top think Scotland won't 'get dragged deeper into the EU'. And independent Scotland will apply to join the EU as soon as possible. As for 'overrun with an immigration problem'.... the UK doesn't have an immigration problem. The right wing press says it has, but really, compared to the US, it's small potatoes. It's hard to work or get benefits without legal status in the UK. Much harder than the US.

I'm all for low level devolution of powers. The state/province model is a good one. That's a very different thing to complete independence. I assume those pro-Scotland independence in America are pro-Hawaii seperating, pro-Cascadia and pro-Texas?
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
September 14th, 2014 at 12:04:44 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: TheCesspit
I assume those pro-Scotland independence in America are pro-Hawaii seperating, pro-Cascadia and pro-Texas?

Since the 20th century separatist movements in USA are pretty weak. Even in Puerto Rico most people don't want to lose US citizenship. "State's rights" movements can be very strong. The supporters in Hawaii did manage to wrangle a heartfelt national apology out of President Clinton for the USA's role in the end of the Hawaiian Kingdom. Like Texas, Hawaii was independent before joining the USA.

Separatism is usually brought up to add color to national dialogue. Obviously Texas (once independent) is one of the most vocal.

There are 20-25 million Scottish Americans, with about 6 million the consider it an extremely important part of their identity. I don't think most Americans have a profound opinion on Scottish independence, and I am willing to bet about half the adults think it is independent already. More people say England, than say Britain or the United Kingdom. Even President Bush referred to Her Majesty QEII as the "Queen of England" in press interviews.
September 14th, 2014 at 12:50:59 PM permalink
TheCesspit
As a half Scot from a Scottish father, that would drive my Dad insane to have his country called 'England' or him called 'English'. He was British first, Scottish second, and never English.
Page 1 of 61234>Last »