Scottish independence -- How would you vote?

Page 4 of 6<123456>
Poll
No votes (0%)
5 votes (62.5%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (37.5%)

8 members have voted

September 18th, 2014 at 2:38:27 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Interesting, seems no-one has run an exit poll. Last polls suggest 53/47 for NO. I think I'm happy I only got a bit down on the YES at 7/2 and didn't take up the wizard on any more. Obviously a small deflection in the poll will have a larger deflection in the price when it gets close to the final vote, and a 60/40 poll wouldn't mean a 3:2 bet on YES being 'value'.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
September 18th, 2014 at 3:10:47 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I saw 52/48 on the NO. They said more than 97% of eligible voters registered for this, which I think is seriously cool; it will be a truly democratic result, assuming they all vote.

I do think the NO will take it. Cameron asked very nicely. :)
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
September 18th, 2014 at 3:14:45 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: TheCesspit
Oil wells run out. The geographical location of the active wells change. WRT to North Sea Oil : "The production is expected to fall to one-third of its peak by 2020".

Wells run dry, so you drill new ones, you acid treat, you frack. The problem is the welfare state using the money, not the wells running dry.
The President is a fink.
September 18th, 2014 at 4:41:23 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: AZDuffman
Wells run dry, so you drill new ones, you acid treat, you frack. The problem is the welfare state using the money, not the wells running dry.

If the reserves the country has run out, they run out. There is not an infinite amount of oil. How you use that finite resource is of course important.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
September 18th, 2014 at 4:58:07 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: TheCesspit
If the reserves the country has run out, they run out. There is not an infinite amount of oil. How you use that finite resource is of course important.

All resources are finite as is the universe itself. The key is to manage the resource and develop new resources. Oil is no different.

At current rates of consumption in 1973 the USA should have run out of oil by now. Yet we have more proven reserves today than in 1973.
The President is a fink.
September 18th, 2014 at 5:41:00 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
First poll result NO 19,036 YES 16,350. I think the remote islands get to count and report the result by phone. Each area is apparently in charge of recounts if any so no reason to centralize the physical ballots.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 18th, 2014 at 5:57:21 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: AZDuffman
All resources are finite as is the universe itself. The key is to manage the resource and develop new resources. Oil is no different.

At current rates of consumption in 1973 the USA should have run out of oil by now. Yet we have more proven reserves today than in 1973.

The USA is a far larger place than Scotland. I have no doubt there is more untapped reserves in different places.

Those places may not be the North Sea, or anywhere else in the territory of Scotland. To pretend it's the panacea to all their ills is as short sighted as spunking all the tax revenue up the walls on tax cuts or welfare benefits or whatever cockamamie idea that the UK OR Scotland come up with.

Of course, some people think Oil is produced from the carbon remaining in the earth's crust and not from dead animals, so the reserves are to some extent reprehensible. The cross section of people who believe this and the young earth theory of creation is large.
September 18th, 2014 at 6:07:33 PM permalink
kenarman
29K NO 21K YES
September 18th, 2014 at 6:15:06 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: kenarman
29K NO 21K YES

Early doors, it was suggested that the remote islands are more likely to vote NO... as they don't really like the Scotland First Minsters power centralization. There have been early calls for the Orkneys to have their own referendum to leave an independent Scotland... and probably rejoin the UK!
September 18th, 2014 at 6:30:56 PM permalink
kenarman
Yes the smaller polling areas will be more rural and likely more conservative and more likely to vote NO. The YES vote will attract those that are unhappy with the world and feel any change has to be better than what they have.

Not to make light of the centuries of differences between Scotland and England but I think it is partially a reflection of the world wide changes in the balance of power going from the West to the East. As this progresses and accelerates the West's standard of living is going continue to fall. People will be madder than hell and looking for someone to blame.
Page 4 of 6<123456>