Right and Wrong

October 4th, 2014 at 7:37:29 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I feel that the exact opposite is true. "God did it" brings all investigating to a screeching halt.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 4th, 2014 at 7:38:46 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
In fact, some people attribute intelligence, order and memory to random chance. So far as I know, those people are still wrong.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 4th, 2014 at 8:15:28 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
In my understanding the Wizard does an excellent job in studying possible outcomes of random chance events that take place in the context of certain games with their specific rules and payouts and showing which one is the best bet or more precisely, which ones will you lose less often and therefore have more fun. Complete random chance would make no sense to study unless it was in the context of some type of game. Imagine a slot machine where there are no payouts, just random combinations flashing up on the screen without any meaning, would you want to play? Could you study it and come up with a strategy?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 4th, 2014 at 8:47:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Sometimes when people jokingly ask me to change the weather I reply, "Sorry, I'm in sales not management".

I do visit mental institutions quite regularly and I've been to many places that treat kids with awful birth defects. I don't know why you think these places make being human a bad thing. .

Because being human isn't a wonderful
thing, it's a crapshoot. It's a random
crapshoot, sugar coat it all you like.
For every person who thinks it's great,
there is somebody who is not quite so
impressed. To put it mildly.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 5th, 2014 at 6:14:49 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
Because being human isn't a wonderful
thing, it's a crapshoot. It's a random
crapshoot, sugar coat it all you like.
For every person who thinks it's great,
there is somebody who is not quite so
impressed. To put it mildly.

There are indeed many people unhappy with life, but what I find interesting is why? You seem to think that the people who are unhappy with life are those who are in institutions, with disabilities, in poverty, or who have gone through some tragedy. However, I don't think that is the case. Many very wealthy, famous, beautiful, healthy, and "successful" people are very unhappy; while some of the happiest people on earth are those who are none of these things. So the question remains why are some people happy with life and with being human and others are not?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 5th, 2014 at 6:18:57 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64
I feel that the exact opposite is true. "God did it" brings all investigating to a screeching halt.

A very common misconception. We have to at least assume order and consistency, which is the opposite of randomness, to even begin to do scientific investigation.
October 5th, 2014 at 11:09:23 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Dalex64

When one brings up "explanations" without evidence, such as a deity, then no real explanation is even possible.

How did the deity do what it is claimed it did? That is a question I'd love to see answered. Further, when a deity is claimed to be omnipotent as well, then no explanation is possible. Maybe the god created the world 0.00001 seconds ago with all the evidence of past events. Why not? it can do anything at all. By definition there are no limits to its power.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 5th, 2014 at 11:46:04 AM permalink
FrGamble
Some of these thought experiments are interesting, but they seem a little childish. If God created the universe than trying to understand the beginings of the universe is the same thing as trying to discover how God did it. I guess God could have created the world a millisecond ago, but I don't see how that effects our desire to discover and know more about this pretend ancient universe.

The problem is that you think 'God did it' is a explanation, when it is more like the foundation upon which all other knowledge stands. God's existence is like the cosmic background radiation of the universe, it is all around us. It is what allows us to realize that the universe we study is not random, but is orderly and follows very precise rules and therefore worthy of our exploration.
October 5th, 2014 at 12:10:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Some of these thought experiments are interesting, but they seem a little childish.

Like creating a creator isn't? That's exactly
what a child would do. Then saying this
creator made the universe for moral reasons,
to test man. Childish and egocentric.

Didn't Paul say when he was a child he thought
as a child, and when he grew up he put
childish things behind him? Not quite all
of them, it seems..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 5th, 2014 at 2:13:50 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
A very common misconception. We have to at least assume order and consistency, which is the opposite of randomness, to even begin to do scientific investigation.

There is order out of chaos. 'Random chance' I guess implies complete randomness and fuzz. That's not quite what I meant. Random effects can lead to order... there's some very beautiful mathematics on this from physics, and very beautiful results of this from Evolution and Geology too.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life