2 votes (33.33%)
1 vote (16.66%)
2 votes (33.33%)

6 members have voted

September 15th, 2014 at 6:09:16 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I've been on quite the unicycle kick lately. I ride about 25 miles a week and plan to up that when it gets cooler shortly. I've got two main unicycles, one with a 20" diameter wheel, and the other 24". I ride the 24" about 95% of the time. I'd like to get an even bigger wheel, to cover more distance and burn more calories in the same time.

I wasn't planning to get a fancy one with brakes and the ability to coast, but saw this beauty on Ebay. One of the good, or bad, things about unicycles is you have to work to go downhill. So you're never just sitting there coasting, wasting time. However, fancy ones like this can coast and you arrest your speed with a brake. This would certainly allow me to cover longer distances over hilly terain. However, if my goal is to exercise, then it is partially defeating that purpose.

I'm having a hard time deciding. Do you think I should buy it?

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 15th, 2014 at 6:18:02 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Geez, Wizard don't you worry about your man parts? That seat looks like it needs prostate relief somewhere.

But, the idea of coasting downhill is pretty cool.

I'm more of a segway guy with a treadmill.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 15th, 2014 at 7:28:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
There's hilly terrain in Vegas? Where. Is this
your big announcement, you're investing
your remaining savings on a bike? Is a uni
even a bike?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 15th, 2014 at 8:35:16 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
There's hilly terrain in Vegas? Where. Is this
your big announcement, you're investing
your remaining savings on a bike? Is a uni
even a bike?

Let's just say I'm in a spending mood and this unicycle has my name on it.

Where I live on the west side is near the mountains and steep enough to coast pretty fast going downhill.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 15th, 2014 at 9:22:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
You can still get plenty of exercise on bikes with brakes. (unless I've been fooling myself)

Anyway, just remember, most cycles and most vehicles for that matter have two brakes or more. Not that anything would happen, but if you get comfortable cruising downhill real fast, you don't have any backup if something happens to your 1 brake.

Whereas with no brake at all, I doubt you're likely to get going at breakneck speed.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 15th, 2014 at 9:24:14 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
You can still get plenty of exercise on bikes with brakes. (unless I've been fooling myself)

Anyway, just remember, most cycles and most vehicles for that matter have two brakes or more. Not that anything would happen, but if you get comfortable cruising downhill real fast, you don't have any backup if something happens to your 1 brake.

Whereas with no brake at all, I doubt you're likely going to get going at breakneck speed.

I didn't think of that it looks like you could do one heck of a face plant.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 15th, 2014 at 9:32:55 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Of course, you could get a drag chute and wear it on your back just in case. : )

Maybe this one comes with the girl?

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 16th, 2014 at 12:07:29 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
No you're not an athlete and too old to coast downhill. Unless the uni comes with a new hip, no.
September 16th, 2014 at 5:37:37 AM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
Quote: petroglyph
It looks like you could do one heck of a face plant.
That's a key point.

Can you keep your balance, and avoid a face plant, if you gotta keep a hand on the brake?

Bottom line: take a serious road test before buying. Then you'll have your answer.
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
September 16th, 2014 at 4:38:26 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
You already have a solid axle uni. You do it enough to have different kinds (20" vs 24"). Why not expand into something different?

I know if I was really into biking, I'd want options. Those suspended mountain bikes are great on the trail, but impossible to ride wheelies on. I like riding wheelies, so I'd want a solid frame bike. But solid frame bikes vibrate so much on the trails that my hands go completely numb and I can't ride. Solution: buy both. Ride one when I feel like trail riding, one when I wanna tear up the streets.

If you're that into unicycling, get both. You can use the solid axle when your focus is on exercise. But if you just want to travel some distance, enjoy yourself, and, maybe, see how fast you can get that thing, then you can hop on your new purchase.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
Page 1 of 3123>